Stalled weight loss

Options
So Ive started exercising and diet for about 3 months now, For the past year or so I never really ate but maybe once or twice a day but since starting a diet plan I eat anywhere from 1500-2000 calories and Im still not dropping just maintaining. I had one or two good weeks where I finally broke under the 300 mark but Im back to maintaining again. Im at a loss as to what step I should take next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Hey bud, welcome to MFP.

Could you please set your diary to "public" so we can take a gander at it?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hey bud, welcome to MFP.

Could you please set your diary to "public" so we can take a gander at it?

This. It's the only way people can give informed advice. Without it, we'd just be making uninformed guesses.
  • AzaleaNicole38
    AzaleaNicole38 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but it could be an array of things.
    1. You may not actually be eating at a deficit. Measuring your food is a big help.
    2. Go to the doctor. You may have an overactive/underactive thyroid or something else. I know this is my problem.
    3. You may have messed up your metabolism by eating so little. This also happened to me. I wasn't eating anything in the day, and ate late at night and went to sleep. I gained so much weight doing this and screwed up my metabolism real bad. Which leads me to my next point.
    4. You may not be getting enough sleep. And lastly
    5. It takes time!

Christ, I hate that last one, but I've been dieting for a month, and the weight has only just started to come off, and as a matter of fact I'm at a stand still now, but I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing!
  • alq76
    alq76 Posts: 15
    Options
    Got it set to public sorry bout that, I imagine that would help a bit.
  • wheird
    Options
    Thanks for opening it!

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you're not logging daily, therefore you cannot accurately say what calorie level you have been eating at.

My suggestion for now is to start logging diligently every day for 4-6 weeks and see what the scale does then.
  • alq76
    Options
    Thyroid may be it been considering going to get it checked, I go to the gym with 3 other chaps and they're in their 30-40lb loss right now which is fantastic for them, but 11lb loss or so just doesnt seem to add up.
  • alq76
    Options
    Diet for the longest time was shakes in the morning then fish and broccoli for lunch and dinner.
  • wheird
    Options
    That does not sound like a very nutritious diet.
  • alq76
    Options
    Probably not, lol figured baked tilapia and broccoli was better than smashing a pizza though.
  • wheird
    Options
    Probably not, lol figured baked tilapia and broccoli was better than smashing a pizza though.

In terms of pure nutrition, a pizza is actually superior to what you were consuming. :tongue:

Ok, I'll amend my prior advice to add: Add more variety to your diet.
  • AzaleaNicole38
    Options
    I still try to work in a pizza if I can, because I did the whole clean eating thing and I'm like, "I can't bloody eat like this for the rest of my life!" So everything is good in moderation. But I think also your body might be holding onto weight if that's all you're eating AND you're working out. Do you eat back your cals? I know that depending on the workout, I can burn almost 1000 cals. Now that I eat more, I weigh less!
    I think overall a check up is in order. Even if it isn't your thyroid, maybe your doctor can give you a meal plan or recommend a nutritionist.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

In terms of pure nutrition, a pizza is actually superior to what you were consuming. :tongue:

How do you figure that? Pizza is mostly bread and cheese -- not exactly the most nutrient dense food, though calorically it packs a whopper. I didn't think I'd ever see someone say nutritionally speaking, pizza is superior to fish and broccoli. Wow.
  • alq76
    Options
    Diet for the longest time was shakes in the morning then fish and broccoli for lunch and dinner.
    Besides it being a bit bland you also made no mention of the actual calories in those meals. Do you weigh and measure all your food and liquids?
    4oz fish 100 calories
    2 cups broccoli 62 calories
    Whey shake 150 calories 1scoop to 6 oz of water
    Usually lemon pepper seasoning on the fish
    Water is my main go to for liquid with the occasional ice tea limited sugar
  • wheird
    Options

How do you figure that? Pizza is mostly bread and cheese -- not exactly the most nutrient dense food, though calorically it packs a whopper. I didn't think I'd ever see someone say nutritionally speaking, pizza is superior to fish and broccoli. Wow.

Um, are you kidding me? It is nutritionally superior because it had a wider array of micronutrients depending on the toppings.
  • AzaleaNicole38
    Options

I think he means in the sense if you have a veggie pizza, you can get maybe 2-3 servings of veggies depending. Whole wheat thin crust is an option (grains). Cheese is dairy. Throw some meat on there and nutritionally speaking, you've got all your food groups.
  • alq76
    Options
    I still try to work in a pizza if I can, because I did the whole clean eating thing and I'm like, "I can't bloody eat like this for the rest of my life!" So everything is good in moderation. But I think also your body might be holding onto weight if that's all you're eating AND you're working out. Do you eat back your cals? I know that depending on the workout, I can burn almost 1000 cals. Now that I eat more, I weigh less!
    I think overall a check up is in order. Even if it isn't your thyroid, maybe your doctor can give you a meal plan or recommend a nutritionist.
    Im gonna say not so much on eating them back I would just stick to my calorie goal.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Besides it being a bit bland you also made no mention of the actual calories in those meals. Do you weigh and measure all your food and liquids?
    4oz fish 100 calories
    2 cups broccoli 62 calories
    Whey shake 150 calories 1scoop to 6 oz of water
    Usually lemon pepper seasoning on the fish
    Water is my main go to for liquid with the occasional ice tea limited sugar
    that's maybe 600 calories a day. My three year old eats more. Please eat pizza. Or something. The food choices are healthy but there isnt enough of it.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

I think he means in the sense if you have a veggie pizza, you can get maybe 2-3 servings of veggies depending. Whole wheat thin crust is an option (grains). Cheese is dairy. Throw some meat on there and nutritionally speaking, you've got all your food groups.

Perhaps, but most pizzas don't have super awesome veggies, at least not in good proportions. If you're looking to get your vegetable servings from pizza, wow, that's going to be a challenge. I can see perhaps the comparison if the guy was eating something very nutritionally shallow like celery or iceberg lettuce, but broccoli is incredibly nutrient dense and one of the most bang for your buck veggies calorie-wise.

But, yes, I suppose you can get more micronutrients if you have a few mushrooms, onions or peppers on a pizza. I just can't believe anyone thinks that is nutritionally superior to tilapia and broccoli. Wow.
  • cmurra6745
    cmurra6745 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    1. figure out your tdee
    2. eat 500-600 cals a day below that (aka if your tdee is 2700 cals eat 2200 NOT 1500 not 30000)
    3. when more than 5 lbs has dropped off yourself recalculate your tdee and continue to eat at a deficit
    4. lift weight , replacing with muscle or gaining muscle will burn more cals throught the day the scale will not show weight loss always as muscle is denser and weighs the same
    5. do atleast 2 days of cardio to start not only is it cardiovascularly good for you but will garner you a larger deficit
    6. DO NOT EAT BACK CALORIES!!
    7 eat more variety for god sake!