Do you hate running? I found a solution

Options
I had a challenge to burn 500 calories today. I had a limited time at the gym. I completely detest running. So I found a solution. I watched the clock on the treadmill as I tested many inclines and speeds. I found at 20 incline and 3.0 speed, I burned 15 calories a minute. I may have looked a little silly being so high in the air, but who cares, as long as I got my burn in. It felt like a fast walk up a hill. It was so EASY. So if you hate running and you hate jogging, just spike up your incline and watch the calories burn fast!!!! :smile:

Replies

• kalebsmama07
    Options
    thanks ill try it! :flowerforyou:
  • kate1398
    Options
    Sounds good to me! I think I'll try that one - thanks!
  • anna441
    anna441 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks stephanie...
    will try that ...
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thats what I do because I hate running!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Incline walking can be a great way for non-runners to "ramp" up their calorie burn on a treadmill.

One caveat: You cannot hold on to the handrails while doing this--otherwise you negate a lot of the extra work from the incline. Some good studies on this were done in the 1980s on typical graded exercise tests, which are almost always done at walking speeds at an incline. At the higher inclines (e.g. 12%-16%), holding on to the handrails decreased oxygen uptake (and calorie burn) by up to 47%.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    The incline is a great way to increase your calorie burn.

I found that when running was becoming easy for me I'd even do my running on an incline. I took about 2 months away from the gym so I have to work my way back up there.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great tip thank you - will definately give it a try :)

I've done something to my foot last week that hurts when I run but not when I walk - so this might be a good way to get back on the wagon so to speak :)
  • tippi4406
    tippi4406 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. Didn't know that holding on to the handrails had such an effect on the body.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    That is what I do too, I don't enjoy running so I set the incline to maximum. Unfortunately, my gym treadmill maximum incline is only at 10%. :grumble:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Incline walking can be a great way for non-runners to "ramp" up their calorie burn on a treadmill.

One caveat: You cannot hold on to the handrails while doing this--otherwise you negate a lot of the extra work from the incline. Some good studies on this were done in the 1980s on typical graded exercise tests, which are almost always done at walking speeds at an incline. At the higher inclines (e.g. 12%-16%), holding on to the handrails decreased oxygen uptake (and calorie burn) by up to 47%.

Does this go for regular hill walking too? Because I love speed walking up hills as it really gets my heart rate to climb or at least used to. It doesn't seem to climb as much these days. I guess I just need to push even faster. I can't wait till the weather improves so I can climb the Grouse Grind. It's 2.9K and starts at 900 ft and climbs to 3,700 and has 2,830 stairs. That is going to be a kickass workout.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Does this go for regular hill walking too? Because I love speed walking up hills as it really gets my heart rate to climb or at least used to. It doesn't seem to climb as much these days. I guess I just need to push even faster. I can't wait till the weather improves so I can climb the Grouse Grind. It's 2.9K and starts at 900 ft and climbs to 3,700 and has 2,830 stairs. That is going to be a kickass workout.

Yes--you cannot hold on to handrails when hill walking either.......:laugh:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Yes--you cannot hold on to handrails when hill walking either.......:laugh:

Hahahaha thanks.
  • amandadrsg
    amandadrsg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My favorite cardio (other than zumba) is the ArcTrainer (Ski Machine). Doing 30 second intervals for 10 minutes I burn 120 calories, and really get my heart pumping. Jack up the incline and you can target different areas. High incline you REALLLLYYY work your butt and thighs! I don't use the handles though, I feel like a moron using them.

I did an experience one day. I did 10 minutes on the ArcTrainer, Elliptical, Treadmill, and Stationary Bike. The ArcTrainer reigned over all!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    makes me sad how ppl hate running! I love it!!...