Coming off a low-carb diet

Options
I apologise in advance for the long post, but will try and keep as brief as possible :)

So I have been on a very low-carb diet (under 20g a day) since October with very little results. I don't weigh myself (history of being completely controlled by the numbers) but I have not dropped a clothes size. My clothes feel a tiny bit loser, but nothing significant. I'm really just so fed up and bored of low carbing and I don't really enjoy the food. The one thing I DO like about LC is the "full" feeling. I like that I can eat my eggs and bacon and not be hungry for another 3-4 hours. I found before LC when I ate porridge, I'd be hungry again 2 hours later. So even going off LC I would stick to eggs for breakfasts

I should point out that even before I started LC my carbs were never that high, maximum was probably around 140g but most days I'd be around 120g. Everyday my carbs would come from porridge, fruits and vegetables. Occasionally I'd have some wholewheat bread/pasta, brown rice, quinoa. But not everyday. The reason this didn't work for me with weightloss was because I would binge. I used to exercise A LOT (2 hours a day 6x a week) but still stick to 1200 calories which would leave me starving and I'd binge about once a week. Instead of being sensible and realising a) either reduce the exercise or b) add some calories, I went extreme and decided to go super low carb.

Anyhooo as I've said..hate low carb. I would love to transition from low-carb to simple calorie counting. I still workout but not nearly as intense, now it's 3-4x a week for 1hr30 maximum. I'd love to start introducing in more fruits and vegetables, as well as legumes. But I see people constantly say that as soon as they go off low-carb they gain the weight back + more. But from what I have researched, as long we stay within a calorie deficit, we shouldn't gain weight. So these people who gain rapidly after low-carb, is this because they just binge out and over-eat on calories? Or do some people gain rapidly, still being sensible (just adding in more vegetables ,fruits, wholegrains etc)? Counter to this I have also read people's comments saying that as long as you keep within a calorie deficit, weight gain shouldn't be a problem going from low-carb to moderate carb (around 100g). I so crave being able to eat something as simple as a baked potato or a bean salad or even a hearty vegetable soup!! but scared of the weight gain :/

Lastly, a lot of people have amazing success on fasting diets like 5:2, 4:3, JUDDD (UpDayDownDay). This sounds like something that would really suit me. From what I gather you can essentially eat what you like on non-fasting days Since I have been relatively healthy for a few years, I would stick to this. but I would love to be able to actually enjoy a dessert after dinner or accept the offer of a slice of cake without feeling guilty and like I will start gaining weight which is what people seem to say is possible with JUDDD type diets. Also I was considering carb-cycling which I know can be effective. Since I am so used to being very low carb, I would happily still do this 2-3 days a week but eat more on other days.

Anyway think that's it!! So really my question is how possible is it to go from very low-carb to moderate carb and more "calorie counting" with a carbier meal/treat 2-3 times a week, without weight gain? Is it all about a calorie deficit?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight immediately because of the lack of carbs you suddenly up your carbs and they act like a sponge and will hold on to water. This however will be short term. I can't advise you on any more specifics though as I'm on around 250 to 300g of carbs a day so never had to do this as I've never been on LC. Good luck and I'm sure someone who's actually transitioned will be able to help
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I apologise in advance for the long post, but will try and keep as brief as possible :)

So I have been on a very low-carb diet (under 20g a day) since October with very little results. I don't weigh myself (history of being completely controlled by the numbers) but I have not dropped a clothes size. My clothes feel a tiny bit loser, but nothing significant. I'm really just so fed up and bored of low carbing and I don't really enjoy the food. The one thing I DO like about LC is the "full" feeling. I like that I can eat my eggs and bacon and not be hungry for another 3-4 hours. I found before LC when I ate porridge, I'd be hungry again 2 hours later. So even going off LC I would stick to eggs for breakfasts

I should point out that even before I started LC my carbs were never that high, maximum was probably around 140g but most days I'd be around 120g. Everyday my carbs would come from porridge, fruits and vegetables. Occasionally I'd have some wholewheat bread/pasta, brown rice, quinoa. But not everyday. The reason this didn't work for me with weightloss was because I would binge. I used to exercise A LOT (2 hours a day 6x a week) but still stick to 1200 calories which would leave me starving and I'd binge about once a week. Instead of being sensible and realising a) either reduce the exercise or b) add some calories, I went extreme and decided to go super low carb.

Anyhooo as I've said..hate low carb. I would love to transition from low-carb to simple calorie counting. I still workout but not nearly as intense, now it's 3-4x a week for 1hr30 maximum. I'd love to start introducing in more fruits and vegetables, as well as legumes. But I see people constantly say that as soon as they go off low-carb they gain the weight back + more. But from what I have researched, as long we stay within a calorie deficit, we shouldn't gain weight. So these people who gain rapidly after low-carb, is this because they just binge out and over-eat on calories? Or do some people gain rapidly, still being sensible (just adding in more vegetables ,fruits, wholegrains etc)? Counter to this I have also read people's comments saying that as long as you keep within a calorie deficit, weight gain shouldn't be a problem going from low-carb to moderate carb (around 100g). I so crave being able to eat something as simple as a baked potato or a bean salad or even a hearty vegetable soup!! but scared of the weight gain :/

Lastly, a lot of people have amazing success on fasting diets like 5:2, 4:3, JUDDD (UpDayDownDay). This sounds like something that would really suit me. From what I gather you can essentially eat what you like on non-fasting days Since I have been relatively healthy for a few years, I would stick to this. but I would love to be able to actually enjoy a dessert after dinner or accept the offer of a slice of cake without feeling guilty and like I will start gaining weight which is what people seem to say is possible with JUDDD type diets. Also I was considering carb-cycling which I know can be effective. Since I am so used to being very low carb, I would happily still do this 2-3 days a week but eat more on other days.

Anyway think that's it!! So really my question is how possible is it to go from very low-carb to moderate carb and more "calorie counting" with a carbier meal/treat 2-3 times a week, without weight gain? Is it all about a calorie deficit?

All diets require some level of sacrifice, but the trick is to find what is the easiest sacrifice to pay.

It sounds like you've found low carb too high a price to pay - so time to move on :smile:

Any transition, whether from high carb to low or in your instance the reverse will have some affect. Probably the best advice is to start counting calories now, but transition slowly back to medium carbs.

And yes - whether eating low carb or medium carb, the only way either will work is to be in a calorie deficit.

Good luck.
  • _loveinmytummy
    Options
    thanks for the responses :) I just really want to get into a more "normal" way of eating i.e eating in a calorie deficit, fruits, veggies, legumes, wholegrains, eating on the 80/20 rule. I just can't help but think that if it's as simple as eating at a calorie deficit, why am I putting myself through this! I expected to gain some water weight but hoping that will go off pretty quickly. I just don't understand when people say "I gained all the weight back as soon as I stopped low carb"..I don't understand how that is possible unless eating way over your calorie allowance
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should add carbs into your diet slowly. Maybe add 10-20g/day/week while reducing your fat content so you stay at the same calories. Also, are you only doing cardio for exercise? If so, then adding in strength training would be great for you since that helps to boost your metabolism and is great for weight loss.

It worries me a bit that you've been doing excessive amounts of cardio at a very low calorie level. Please watch this video on this subject and let me know if you have questions about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk

Allan
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses :) I just really want to get into a more "normal" way of eating i.e eating in a calorie deficit, fruits, veggies, legumes, wholegrains, eating on the 80/20 rule. I just can't help but think that if it's as simple as eating at a calorie deficit, why am I putting myself through this! I expected to gain some water weight but hoping that will go off pretty quickly. I just don't understand when people say "I gained all the weight back as soon as I stopped low carb"..I don't understand how that is possible unless eating way over your calorie allowance

There are plenty of people who lose weight on a low carb diet due only to the satiating nature of the diet. Basically, these people eat what they want but due to reduced hunger, naturally eat less in terms of calories and lose weight as a result. Put those same people on a diet that's not as satiating and, big surprise, eating what you want, when you want, oftentimes leads to weight gain. A better solution is to continue to monitor calories/macros, even when following a low carb diet, so that there's very little effort involved in the transition to another macronutrient distribution.

As for the water weight, it will come back and you should just expect to see your weight climb 5-10 pounds. Water weight isn't a big deal though and fat loss/gain should really be the focus. At the end of the day, find a diet/exercise routine that you enjoy and that allows you to achieve a caloric deficit and your other goals. If you aren't happy on low carb, then you should definitely make a change.
  • _loveinmytummy
    Options
    It was over a year ago that I did excessive cardio and 1200 calories. I only do HIIT for cardio no 2-3 times a week. I have been low since October and since then I don't do as much cardio as I don't enjoy it. I do 45-1hr of weights 3-4 times a week.

with water weight, is that physical weight or just on the scales? These responses are great and I'm just trying to get as much info as I can but they do go against other things that I have read. A lot of people say that adding carbs back in slowly isn't necessary as long as you don't go over calories. I'm tempted to adopt a carb-cycling approach. I just want to get off low carb as quick as I can (I really hate it!) but without the weight gain haha I guess patience is a virtue in this case!!
  • kcrosso
    kcrosso Posts: 5
    Options
    Here's some basic science for you. Insulin is spiked when you eat carbohydrates of any kind. Insulin blocks your body's ability to burn fat. So if you are eating carbs all-day, of any kind, your body is incapable of burning fat. Excess carbohydrates go through a storage process, that if unused, will be put into long-term fat storage. Not ideal.

Basic calorie counting works for some people, not all, BUT you have to combine it with a lot of exercise in order to be effective. Why? Because exercise allows your body to open up pathways that allow fat to be removed from storage. i.e. you burn fat.

When you come off of a low-carb diet, and go back to eating 6-12 servings of whole grains per day, plus fruit, and other goodies your body essentially becomes a fat storage machine. A more moderate approach actually comes from the Atkins way of doing things. Adding back 5 grams of carbs per week, until you stop losing or start gaining.

I have been lower carb for a while now, and I allow myself the occasional cheat meal which throws me off a little, but doesn't derail my progress, however, I also gave up eating wheat of any kind over 2 years ago, per the recommendations made in the book "Wheat Belly". I follow a mostly Paleo way of eating now, with some "gluten free" junk food every now and then. I really like the chart on the linked page that shows what carbs do to you at varying levels. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/#axzz32SaS6znk

Good luck to you on your weight-loss journey. BTW, I have lost 127 pounds and now maintain at a healthy weight for the first time in my life. I did the calorie counting, lots of exercise method for years, and it never worked long-term. This is the first time I have been successful, and it's not for lack of trying, it's in finding a way that works for me and my body and lifestyle.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've taken dieting to the extreme.
    The low carb plan I'm following is 50-100gms/day (net.)
    You haven't given us any of your stats either which makes advice more difficult.
    Gradually increase the carbs in your diet, perhaps just one meal a day to start with. If you stay under your total calorie goal for maintenance then you shouldn't gain any weight.
  • jodyrew
    jodyrew Posts: 6
    Options
    Anyone taking on the challenge of following a diet plan entails a lot of hard work and patience. Esp in diet changes. As for me, I'm on Paleo. I'm not only losing weight, but I feel great. Sure, there's some sort of food specificity on what food to eat, but once I got a hold of it, the more easier it was to stay on that lifestyle. I've also written a book about it(found on my profile) if anyone wants to check it out.