Does a low carb diet make a big difference?

Options
Hello everyone!

Last year I lost 20lbs very slowly by just watching what I ate and making sure it was lower calorie. I tried to cut down on the worst offender foods and have healthy snacks to keep me from getting too hungry. But I didn't do any special dieting. It did take me a while but I felt like I was doing it an ok way. I've put on a few lbs since I stopped for a new job and I would quite like to get rid of them and the remaining 20 or so lbs to get down to my goal weight.

A friend of mine has said she's done really well with basically no carbs diet. I wanted to know if trying to keep calories low and also eating less carbs would be more effective than just lower calories?

In short, would it be quicker for me to lose weight with a less carby diet?

Thanks!
Christina

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no carbs...sure. I bet your friend is eating carbs she just doesn't know it.

As for no carb/low carb yes it works but only because you have reduced your calories...so no it's not more effective.

As well with low carb (and I know from personal exp) you do get fuzzy in the head, very low energy making it hard to do anything but very light exercise...

It's not what you eat it's how much you eat.

I have steadily lost weight eating everything I did before I joined here...just smaller portions of it.

This weight loss thing should not include giving up whole food groups unless you plan on doing that for the rest of your life...make this just like life..eat the foods you love/crave just in smaller portions. Log it all and stay in goal.

Quicker is not always better...esp with weight loss...with 20lbs to lose you should be aiming for 1/2lb a week...yah you are probably thinking but it will take me a year to lose it that way...well it took about a year to put it on...

I put 25lbs on after I got married...I was already overweight when I got married...it has taken me 1 year here...plus another 9 months outside of here to lose all that weight...and now I that I am in maitenance I know I will keep it off...because I did it slowly, developed good habits and wont fall back into the bad ones I had...
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    NO carbs would be next to impossible. It would be very limiting. I am not much of a carb eater naturally - so I tried a low carb diet a few years ago. I lost 40 pounds, but gained it all back because, like you, I stopped the "diet".

I have been on MFP for 26 months and lost a little over 100 pounds just eating within my calorie deficit and meeting my macros. I can eat like this for the rest of my life. I don't deprive myself of foods I enjoy - within my calories for the day (1680).

This link has tons of information to help you build a plan that will help you lose and also be sustainable over time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins many years ago and lost 45 lbs in 3 months. Basically, you start off with 20 grams of carbs for 2 weeks until you reach ketosis - the stage where your body uses fat for energy. I liked this diet, because I did lose weight. I did gain the weight back, but that was more due to emotional eating. I say don't go completely off carbs because it is almost impossible to do since nearly everything contains carbs. I say track the carbs you are eating per day and use that has a guide to what you can eliminate. O....r see what eating 20 grams for two weeks puts you. If you find yourself struggling, then you want to make adjustments.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that cutting back on carbs has helped my weight loss any, but I did learn that I have a slight gluten intolerance so cutting back on wheats and some grains has helped me feel better overall (which helps me stay on track).

Just don't check this past week, lol.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins many years ago and lost 45 lbs in 3 months. Basically, you start off with 20 grams of carbs for 2 weeks until you reach ketosis - the stage where your body uses fat for energy. I liked this diet, because I did lose weight. I did gain the weight back, but that was more due to emotional eating. I say don't go completely off carbs because it is almost impossible to do since nearly everything contains carbs. I say track the carbs you are eating per day and use that has a guide to what you can eliminate. O....r see what eating 20 grams for two weeks puts you. If you find yourself struggling, then you want to make adjustments.

Key here is the past tense, as in "not sustainable"
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It depends. As others have pointed out, really low carb is hard to sustain. But for someone like me with type 2 diabetes, managing carbs is not a short term diet, it's a lifestyle change that must be maintained for a lifetime. In my case, yes, reduced carbs is the only way to go.

I aim for less than 135gm carbs a day, no more than 45gm in a meal. Generally, meals are around 30gm, snacks 15gm. Combined with daily exercise, I've been successful so far. So really, the answer is a question.. Is this a temporary diet or a lifestyle change?
  • doodlestheduck
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice that was really helpful. For me I want this to be sustainable weight loss more than I want to do it quickly. I might try to cut down somewhat on carbs and trade them for whole wheat products but this has reassured me that I should be trying to do what I did before, eat less and move more.

Thanks again for all the help!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some medical condition there is no real reason to limit carbs. Carbs are a food group and important the same way protein and fats are. They are the bodies main source of energy. Cutting carbs won't miraculously make you lose weight. Those on low carb lose weight the same way the rest of us do because of a calorie deficit. Some people do find by limiting carbs it can reduce cravings for certain high calorie sugary foods they are avoiding because it makes them binge. I eat on average 60% of my diet from carbs a lot of fruit and whole grain carbs but I still in moderation have sweet treats as you can see it's not hindered my weight loss. I recently increased my carb intake on purpose because I'm a runner and I was lacking in energy and this has seemed to improved the situation.

You need to wade through all the dodgy science and claims about low carb/ High carb cavemen etc and find what works for you but one of your first questions to yourself should be 'Can I sustain this long term' and 'how am I going to eat for the rest of my life'. Looking at these long term questions are how you will avoid regaining any weight you have lost. In the end it's what works for you but as always 'Don't believe the hype'

Good luck
  • Nynkepetra
    Nynkepetra Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    not to confuse you anymore but try reading the book Wheatbelly, it's all about how wheat puts on the weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You don't have to sustain low carb eating to retain your weight loss achieved that way, any more than you would need to sustain a calorie deficit or other regime once at goal.

I have no idea why people think you have to do something for life, once the excess fat is off you need a maintenance regime for sure, but it doesn't have to look like a weight loss regime.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    edited for duh
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Last year I lost 20lbs very slowly by just watching what I ate and making sure it was lower calorie. I tried to cut down on the worst offender foods and have healthy snacks to keep me from getting too hungry. But I didn't do any special dieting. It did take me a while but I felt like I was doing it an ok way. I've put on a few lbs since I stopped for a new job and I would quite like to get rid of them and the remaining 20 or so lbs to get down to my goal weight.

A friend of mine has said she's done really well with basically no carbs diet. I wanted to know if trying to keep calories low and also eating less carbs would be more effective than just lower calories?

In short, would it be quicker for me to lose weight with a less carby diet?
    Only one way to find out hon...try it & see :wink:
    It works for me, but for some folks, it's a tough row to hoe.

I would recommend opting for a modest reduction & see how that works for you.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic (off of meds, watching with diet) and I stick to about 45% of my day from carbs

the thing you do have to remember is that literally everything has carbs except for maybe meats and pure fats.

Vegetables, fruits, even milk have carbs and these all count in my 45% carb intake

So really a "no carb" diet is near impossible - that being said, I did do a low carb diet under a doctors guidance to lose the weight, but only for that reason - in the long run, you need the carbs
  • smcred
    smcred Posts: 2
    Options
    For me, low-carb high-fat (LCHF) reduces and almost eliminates cravings for sweets and breads. If I do low calorie w/o LCHF, I get too hungry. I'm eating under 30 carbs a day right now, but I've lost weight previously cutting back to 45 carbs per meal. You choose how low to go depending on how you feel (energy, hunger, etc). Choosing healthy carbs--vegetables, fruits, maybe some breads if your gut tolerates them--is also important. Experiment, keep track, figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I personally think people are much better off learning how to eat a more balanced diet and focus on getting proper nutrition...which means not only getting your vitamins and minerals, but hitting dietary fat requisites and higher protein requisites than the RDA (which is basically bare minimum intake for a sedentary person...don't be sedentary and get more protein).

When people focus on having a more balanced and nutritious diet, they generally find that their protein intake increases, their fat intake increases or remains static, and their carbohydrate intake is often substantially reduced from the SAD. To boot, when people are trying to hit micro vitamins and mineral goals, they find that their carbohydrates sources tend to be less "junky" with some starches and whole grains and a lot of wholesome vegetables and fruits making up the better part of that carbohydrate intake.
  • Nory143
    Nory143 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb several times in the past. I loved it! The weight just melted off without much effort but I gained the weight back each and every time. This time I am following the counting calorie approach. The weight is coming off much slower, but it's something I feel I can do for the rest of my life. I have eaten pizza, drinks out with my friends, dinner at my favorite restaurant, chinese buffet in the past month and still lost six pounds just by keeping track of cals and exercising.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Key here is the past tense, as in "not sustainable"

Three years ago I lost 150 pounds in 13 months doing low carb.

Still eating the same way so yes it is sustainable if you commit yourself to it.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. If you burn more calories than you consume then you will lose weight. If weight loss is your goal, this is the golden rule.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I find a low carb regime is perfect for me, and it's completely sustainable, and not more expensive than buying 'normal' food. The carbs i do eat come from veg mostly and some fruit (not a fan of fruit myself i only eat apples, bananas and occasionally berries). I stay away from (as much as possible but i do indulge once in a while) rice, pasta (i only eat non-wheat), tatties, anything bread-like, anything processed (including processed meats) (not including cheese here of course).

Instead of rice i have cauliflower blizted to rice like consistency before frying it in a little coconut oil.

instead of tatties i have cauliflower mash, or celeriac/squash (chips, mash, or cubed).

I eat loads of leafy greens (usually wilted, i'm not a huge fan of salads).

and lots of pulses, seeds and protein. I don't feel hungry, i eat little and often as it suits me. i train at least 5 days a week, for at least an hour, 4 of those days are high intensity. I have no energy problems, no flagging at 3pm, no flagging at the end of 1.5 hr karate session where i still have to jog a mile and half home as my warm down.

The atkins diet (or similar) is a good way to figure out what your body needs in the way of carbs, and it also helps you figure out better sources of carbs than bloody boring tatties/rice/pasta all the time.

There are plenty of protein sources you can have that aren't meat that don't cost a fortune, you just need to do a little reading of vegetarian sites and google recipes etc it's not hard and means you know what you are eating and why. I've broadened my cooking ability exponentially after decided to eat like this. You find out what snacks you can have and how to make them yourself and eventually you crave these instead of rubbish mass manufactured sweets.

it's always worth a go, if you find it doesn't work for you, then it's the wrong diet for your body type, you can try something else, it shouldn't do any harm. just make sure you don't overeat, as even eating too much veg will make you put on weight, otherwise all vegans would be stick-like.

I've been eating and working out like this since 2009. I still have diet pepsi etc (prefer the taste) and have an full-fat irn bru every so often (cos diet tastes minging). I also have cakey things every so often, cos life's boring without a bit of indulgence.

I also find rewarding myself with something other than food is helpful. So i tend to reward myself with a new item of clothing, a hair cut, a magazine or a new tune for running to. My most recent purchase was an expensive pair of rollerskates for my new sport :D hee hee!