fitness and periods (women)

Options
Hi girls :)
so while my period is blissfully short (3 days), I have cramps all the way through, and they seem to get worse when I work out. Do any of you have any great tricks or advice for working out while on your period?

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen, taken int he days BEFORE you PMS/menstrual symptoms start, is shown to really reduce cramping. It works by inhibiting the channels that release the hormones/prostaglandins that cause the cramps. But you really have to build the levels in your blood by taking ibu in the days before (I have found even the day before helps me).
  • AlexiaLupis
    AlexiaLupis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Evening primrose oil. Does wonders for me and mine last anywhere between 6-10 days and used to get nasty cramps all the way through and then again while ovulating. Nasty business!
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Aw that sucks. For me it's been the opposite. That's been one of the best things about getting more exercise for me -- my periods are only a few days long now and I have basically no cramps anymore because of the endorphins.

But, my sister-in-law is one of the most active runners I know and she gets awful menstrual cramps. She got prescription-strength naproxen sodium (aleve) from her doctor and she uses that. So maybe check in with your doc?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I just work out through it regardless (it only got better the more cycles I worked out through instead of laying down)... BUT I have heard everything from eating bananas to having ibuprofen.
  • rsjessen92
    rsjessen92 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'll diffidently try some of your advises :)
    I've just gotten over a stomach peptic ulcer however, so I'll have to forego the medicines ;) cheers everybody!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I just work out through it regardless (it only got better the more cycles I worked out through instead of laying down)... BUT I have heard everything from eating bananas to having ibuprofen.

I do the same. The first few cycles were hard, they have gotten much better the longer I've been going.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Back when I had mine (I'm on depo now to just get rid of the darn thing, because mine were so bad to the point where I'd be incapacitated in bed from the pain!), I used to try to work through it. For me, I tried to stay more active, and only used ibuprofen when the pain got unbearable.

What I found helped reduce my pain was watching my sodium intake during the length of my cycle, and walking/running/doing core exercises. If you are noticing it getting really bad, you could always consider a b/c method to reduce/get rid of it. Depo has worked wonders for me the past two years.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate 400 to 600 mg but with your healthcare provider first.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Aw that sucks. For me it's been the opposite. That's been one of the best things about getting more exercise for me -- my periods are only a few days long now and I have basically no cramps anymore because of the endorphins.

But, my sister-in-law is one of the most active runners I know and she gets awful menstrual cramps. She got prescription-strength naproxen sodium (aleve) from her doctor and she uses that. So maybe check in with your doc?

You can safely take up to 3 regular Aleve and it will do the same thing. I used to have to take up to 1000 mg of Ibuprofen to kill the cramps.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Yes, magnesium is wonderful for muscle cramping!
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Be glad you're not a swimmer like me.

:( periods suck.
  • Joline1207
    Joline1207 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I switched to a Diva Cup. Almost no cramping, shorter period. I also notice that if I severely increase my water intake that helps even more. I am sensitive to many medicines, but when I did take them Midol worked well if I took them regularly throughout and not just when I had discomfort. I switched to the Diva Cup because I was so tired of bleeding through everything...I was wearing a tampon with a maxi backer! The cup is nice, nothing to throw away and reusable (not gross like you think!). I researched all the reusables before making my purchase. There are two types - one prior to having children and one for after. It takes a little finesse to get use to the first cycle, but after two or three cleanings it is pretty simple.

This helped...http://youtu.be/9CBh6cAKapA

http://www.amazon.com/Diva-DivaCup-Menstrual-Solution-DivaWash/dp/B003U7CVFC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401633775&sr=8-2&keywords=diva+cup+model+2
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you - heading to my gyn tomorrow to get some help. My period is really heavy and the cramps are debilitating.

The one thing that helps me is ibuprofen (stops the bleeding for a few hours and it helps with the cramping), but sounds like that's not an option for you.

Perhaps just walking instead of an intense workout would be better?

Good luck!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but my period actually stops while I exercise and for a few hours after.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Aleve is the only thing that ever helps me.
  • rsjessen92
    rsjessen92 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I switched to a Diva Cup. Almost no cramping, shorter period. I also notice that if I severely increase my water intake that helps even more. I am sensitive to many medicines, but when I did take them Midol worked well if I took them regularly throughout and not just when I had discomfort. I switched to the Diva Cup because I was so tired of bleeding through everything...I was wearing a tampon with a maxi backer! The cup is nice, nothing to throw away and reusable (not gross like you think!). I researched all the reusables before making my purchase. There are two types - one prior to having children and one for after. It takes a little finesse to get use to the first cycle, but after two or three cleanings it is pretty simple.

This helped...http://youtu.be/9CBh6cAKapA

http://www.amazon.com/Diva-DivaCup-Menstrual-Solution-DivaWash/dp/B003U7CVFC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401633775&sr=8-2&keywords=diva+cup+model+2

Diva Cup is the best. Luckily I don't bleed an awful lot, but I'm diffidently saving a load of money by having switch to cups. Aside from that it's great when I'm at work, because I don't have to take breaks as often as I normally would on my period.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Yes, magnesium is wonderful for muscle cramping!
    I agree! I take I t often. Can cause diarrhea if you OD but that just means you should take slightly less. It also helps with menstrual constipation.
  • amysuzannerose
    amysuzannerose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My story is the same and I have found relief with fish oil. My naturopath said that duiring my period I could take more than I do on a daily basis. Typically I take 2400 IUs/day and during my period I will ramp it up to 4800IU. It is working like a charm.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have horrible cramps during my period, since getting an IUD. I have to take up to 1000mg of Ibuprofen to combat them. Sometimes a heat pad helps, if I've been especially active, to relieve them somewhat.