Reading recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• PinkPanther318
    PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Revenge wears Prada was awesome :) sorry don't know the author's name at this moment
  • PinkPanther318
    PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    the Divergent series was also really good. Number 4 comes out in July
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a good one, though romance does play a part in it.

Thanks for recommending this... I've been debating whether or not to buy it :smile:

I liked this, but if you're going for John Green, I recommend Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines before Fault in Our Stars. It was just *ok* for him in my opinion.

tagging this thread cause I am out of books
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ebooks generally. I tried to read the Dark Tower series and couldn't get into it - I'll try again (King is one of my very favorite authors.)

^Virgoddess

I'm a King fan as well. His son, Joe Hill, has a similar style and reminds me of King's earlier works. NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box were entertaining.

Have you read 11/22/63? One of my favorite books of all time, although it's very different from his usual (probably why I like it so much, lol). It's more in the vein of The Green Mile, but if you read IT there's a lot of references to that in the storyline that you might enjoy!
  • Ihatecoldsoup
    Options
    Dresden files by Jim butcher. Best series I have ever read
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've heard 11/23/63 is good. Anyone read Doctor Sleep?
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite books of all time is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I also love The World According to Garp (I could laugh and cry on the same page - it was amazing).
    I like a lot of Stephen King books, too, but not the too "monster-y" stories.... The Stand was great and so was The Green Mile. I'm now reading 11/22/63 - it's a time-travel history-changing story. So far, it's great (I'm about 1/3 through it).
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i'm reading "pillars of the earth" RIGHT NOW! how crazy you mentioned it!

i don't know how interested you are in being really depressed, but "king leopold's ghost" is great. "mukiwa: a white boy in africa" by peter godwin is absolutely amazing. "season of migration to the north" or really anything by tayyib saleh--he writes a lot of short fiction about sudan. can you tell i'm an africa junky? :)

if you wanna go more philosophical, "life of pi," "the wind-up bird chronicle" by murakami, or "the black swan: the impact of the highly improbable" by nassim taleb.

simple entertainment, "the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society," "crime and punishment," "river town" by peter hessler about his peace corps years in china.

but the best book of all time, coming in at a whopping 1200 pages and easily the best book i have ever read in my entire life: "the count of monte cristo".
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The Kane Chronicles series by Rick Riordan.

The Beyonders series by Brandon Mull.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    The Kane Chronicles series by Rick Riordan.

The Beyonders series by Brandon Mull.

I loved the first, haven't tried the second - I'll look into it!

11/22/63 was really well done, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've also heard great things about the Dresden Files. My list is growing :)

I'll list my top 5 if anyone is looking for books:

HP series (I'm cheating)
    GoT series (cheating, again)
    Me Before You
    The Kite Runner
    The last is a tie between The Stand by King and Pillars.
  • beverlywesterby
    beverlywesterby Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites are One Good Dog by Susan Wilson, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Before I Wake by Robert Wiersma, the Myron Bolitar books by Harlan Coben, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson, and almost all of the books by Jodi Picoult. Following this thread too...love getting new book ideas (even though I work in a library and am surrounded by them all day long!!)
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Full Moon by Seymour Buns
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    One of the best series I've ever read (GoT).

Anyone willing to share their top 5/10 so I can get some new picks?

Also a huge ASOIAF fan, here are a few of my tops for you:

The most obvious ones, of course, LOTR and Harry Potter.
    The Camulod Chronicles by Jack Whyte. No fantasy, more alternate history.
    Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series.
    If you like super geeky deep fantasy, the Dragonlance Chronicles (and subsequent Legends, New Chronicles etc) and the Drizzt series if Forgotten Realms (both Dungeons & Dragons properties) are quick reads alone, but there are TONS of books to branch out into.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, slow, but oddly engrossing.

I see that you already tried, but def give the Dark Tower series another go. The Gunslinger is slow, but short, and The Drawing of Three starts slow, but picks up about halfway through. The rest of the series is absolutely riveting, and ultimately heartbreaking (with the exception of Wizard and Glass. I hated that book, but you can't really skip it)
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I Like Fish by Ann Chovie
  • 2pupsmama
    2pupsmama Posts: 77
    Options
    Have you read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was published a few years ago. I am sorry I ever loaned it out because I never got it back and would love to read it again.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Christopher Moore-- I read Sacre' Bleu. Reading another of his at the moment. It's almost embarrassing cuz I can be reading over lunch in a restaurant and literally LOL, cuz that author can set up an image or turn a phrase to make one giggle.

Deborah Harkness-- All Souls Trilogy-- Romance alert but it's not too bodice ripping thus far. also witches and vampires alert.

Amy Tan-- good for all around feels

Ann Tyler-- good for quirky characters and feels

Alan Dean Foster-- for comfort if you are middle-aged like me and want some good old school fantasy/sci-fi from your youth.

Margret Atwood-- also for old school fantasy and sci/fi

Joyce Carol Oats-- The Accursed-- if you like the Bram Stoker's Dracula era type of writing.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Have you read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was published a few years ago. I am sorry I ever loaned it out because I never got it back and would love to read it again.

Yes, I really enjoyed it. The Kitchen House was also excellent for a similar theme.

I love Margaret Atwood - she's a fantastic storyteller, as is Amy Tan.

I have His Dark Materials - another one I couldn't get into, but will try again.

Thanks guys! I'm excited to jump in.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Kamakazo by Wes McCloud (a horror novel) and Wickedly Misunderstood by Chasity Nicole (if you like young adult novels for 12-19 year olds)
  • brightrainbow40
    Options
    Ramayana