For those who didn't exercise while losing weight

Do you regret it?

Did you do small "exercises" throughout the day without incorporating formal exercise?

If you lost at a healthy weight of up to 2 lbs a week, did you notice a lot of sagging skin?

Replies

• Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    I'm 11 months into losing the weight and I did not exercise for the first 6-7 months. I needed to focus on getting my eating under control before I added exercise. Sagging skin has to do with how heavy you were, how long you were heavy, age and genetics. It's not possible to spot tone to avoid it. I will have some sagging skin when I'm done, but that's a small price to pay for my renewed health.
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    I lost all the weight without exercising. Well, I think I did 10 or so at the start (didn't lose much), but then I quit and put it back on. After changing my diet I've pretty much not done any exercise at all, aside from walking with my dog (and only been doing it last 2 months). I can't say it's good for you and obviously not advocating that people don't exercise, it's just that I hate it so much my brain falls asleep whenever I even try to think about exercise. Lately I've been trying to 'trick' myself into doing a bit more, like a little sprint while walking with the dog, or do a bit more chores.

As for the skin, no I didn't notice any. I'm not sure if that's just a perk of age (was 25 when started losing weight).
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 508 Member
    When I started to lose weight I didn't do anything but walk and I didn't have any kind of formal program; just parked further from the office, took opportunities to take walks. I lost about 30 pounds over 6 months and then bought a pedometer and started walking more. Added in cardio + weights at the gym last March (2013). At age 64 and having gained and lost weight many times, I'm never going to get "cut" but I'm happy with how I look. I do regret not doing more cardio early on; not for weight loss, but for my health. Walking is good, but not really enough for a real cardio workout.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    I lost an average of 1.4 lbs a week for a year (the last six months were a lot slower than the first) and notice some sagging skin on my upper arms and legs, but not a lot. Nothing that I'm really unhappy with or anything. I don't know that working out through the weight loss would've made a difference there, but I don't regret my approach.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    I lost 70lbs in 1987 and by 1997 I had regained 40lbs of it because I failed to keep up with my exercise when I was done losing. I started working out in 1997, lost that weight and have been exercising and maintaining ever since. I would not have maintained that 2nd weight loss if I hadn't been exercising. I know that as a FACT.

If you choose not to exercise, that's on you, but you're missing out on so much if you don't! I'm 41 yrs old and can do things that most people my age cannot do, don't have the aches and pains and health problems other people my age have, BECAUSE I exercise! Find what you like and it won't feel like work! :)
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    I lost 70lbs in 1987 and by 1997 I had regained 40lbs of it because I failed to keep up with my exercise when I was done losing. I started working out in 1997, lost that weight and have been exercising and maintaining ever since. I would not have maintained that 2nd weight loss if I hadn't been exercising. I know that as a FACT.

If you choose not to exercise, that's on you, but you're missing out on so much if you don't! I'm 41 yrs old and can do things that most people my age cannot do, don't have the aches and pains and health problems other people my age have, BECAUSE I exercise! Find what you like and it won't feel like work! :)

I too share the same thoughts as I was reading this!! I realized that I needed to incorporate exercise for many different reasons and at 42 I dont have the same aches and pains I used to and I'm able to do more than I used to than before. I believe that you're searching for reasons to NOT have to exercise however, trust me when I say that you need to...been there done that, even if it's walking. But just an FYI because you're pretty private in your profile, I was 275 lbs and I exercise 4 days a week, eat healthier, and still have about 50 more lbs too lose and I have loose skin, its gonna happen, but it will be less with exercise.
  • Ligenliefde
    Ligenliefde Posts: 28 Member
    I'm a bit stuck for exercise ideas, any ideas? I need a knee replacement but am too young to have it and so am on crutches permanently. I live in a small town which does not have a public pool.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    I am 52 with one knee replacement done and one on the horizon. I also have fibromialgia. I find it hard to do anything more than walking. I wish there was more I could do. I know I would be much more successful if there was. I walked a mile today in 25 minutes. If I can do this maybe I can do two then three then to the moon and back...
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    I'm a bit stuck for exercise ideas, any ideas? I need a knee replacement but am too young to have it and so am on crutches permanently. I live in a small town which does not have a public pool.

If exercising your lower body is off-limits, why not try a little resistance training for your upper body? You could some things while sitting and at least it gets the heart rate up a bit and builds a little bit of muscle.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Do you regret it?
    Nope.
    Did you do small "exercises" throughout the day without incorporating formal exercise?
    Nope.
    If you lost at a healthy weight of up to 2 lbs a week, did you notice a lot of sagging skin?
    Nope.
    I am 52 with one knee replacement done and one on the horizon.
    Is your doctor and physical therapist recommending no exercise?! My knee docs have always wanted me doing calf raises, side/front leg raises, deadlifts, etc. The point of such exercises was to increase my range of motion and decrease the stress on my leg when doing everyday activities. I'd talk to your doc about this.

Regarding the upper-body, does your knee prevent you from working anything? My knee, at least, doesn't impact my ability to work my traps, lats, delts, biceps, triceps, pecs, abs, obliques, etc. There are also forms of cardio that are light on the knee such as swimming, hand bicycles, or speed bags. Just ideas. :)

Exercise is good for making your body less fatty and improves your chance of maintenance.
  • milmomto2
    milmomto2 Posts: 84
    I am 51 and have had both of my knees replaced. I also have fibromylgia. My main exercise currently is walking with my new knees. I do experience some aches and pains, but am so very grateful to be able to walk!
  • melissaweppner
    melissaweppner Posts: 1 Member
    Well I used to swim everyday. I've had two hip surgeries (not replacements) and now I have a rotator cuff impingement. Was in pt for the last 5 months with little to no relief. So now I've just resorted to walking the dog. Doc does not recommend walking any more than around the block. Can't lift any weights over head. Now what to do…..
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    I think exercise is just plain good for you. I am pretty sure you can lose weight without it, but I think if you do it, the weight will just start melting off. Even if its just walking. I also agree with a previous poster, you have to like the activity you're doing.
    I like to dance so sometimes I do Hip Hop Abs. To me its fun and doesn't feel like a workout.It's not hard or anything. Also Rockin Body is another good one.
    Just a suggestion.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    I hate traditional 'exercise'. It bores me to death. I've tried everything - music, reading, watching TV. It's just agonizing, I end up watching the timer just to get done. I've just been trying to stay more active - got a pedometer, I walk to and from work and take evening walks after supper. It really helps that I'm on a kick to keep the house SUPER clean - it means that every night I'm running around doing chores, which I think helps more than I give credit for. When I'm sitting down watching TV I use weights on my arms, and I do yoga once or twice a week at home. I hope, by carefully watching what I eat, I won't have to do a lot of exercise because it's like pulling teeth for me. In an ideal world, if I had time and money, I'd join a hockey league, but such is life!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I lost an average of 1.4 lbs a week for a year (the last six months were a lot slower than the first) and notice some sagging skin on my upper arms and legs, but not a lot. Nothing that I'm really unhappy with or anything. I don't know that working out through the weight loss would've made a difference there, but I don't regret my approach.

Same here.

I do get activity/exercise...usually about 160-200 minutes per week, and sometimes more. But the vast majority of mine is just walks, easier hikes, and the odd bike ride. I've never gone to a gym or anything along those lines.
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    I'm 11 months into losing the weight and I did not exercise for the first 6-7 months. I needed to focus on getting my eating under control before I added exercise.
    I had never tried this approach before. But this time, I am. I do occasionally go for a walk. But I am not pressuring myself to get going yet. For the same reason, I need to focus on feeding my body right. I am not failing this time, so I am attempting to ease into it more readily that I have in the past.
  • MollyBehrens
    MollyBehrens Posts: 2 Member
    TO: the person holding off on knee replacement due to age---I Had my knee replaced 9 years ago when I was 56. I had lost all my Cartilage due to my knees riding incorrectly--undiagnosed scoliosis and was in severe pain. I had to crawl up the stairs. My surgeon is a sports medicine surgeon( I am not a sports person but he is good and in my plan) and feels waiting is worse than doing it sooner. What you loose in general health is not made up by waiting. You just decline which puts you at more risk once you go to have surgery. He had me do 6 weeks of pre-hab before the surgery. I rode a stationary bike and did leg strengthening exercises--non weight baring. You need strong quads for re-hab. The re-hab is rough not masking anything and while you are up and about very fast you don't feel "normal" for up to 9 months--body getting used to knee. My leg was also bowed due to my walking gait being off so he also straightened my leg. So the adjustment period included being able to walk correctly. Waiting can also damage your spine and hips.

I was not in general pain after--I took pain meds before PT which helped push me through the rehab--knee rehab is painful but walking and pain free living are worth the PT pain. I did rehab 3 times a week and the other 4 days I went to the Y and rode the bike and did the exercises.

If you are carrying a lot of excess weight that can affect your surgical outcome so I would get a 2nd opinion, see if someone can loan you an exercise bike and get healthy enough to have the surgery--you should not live life on crutches!!!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    If your losing a lot, the skin is going to sag regardless. It can't just...cease to be.
  • Nightstar76
    Nightstar76 Posts: 48 Member
    I'm 11 months into losing the weight and I did not exercise for the first 6-7 months. I needed to focus on getting my eating under control before I added exercise.
    I had never tried this approach before. But this time, I am. I do occasionally go for a walk. But I am not pressuring myself to get going yet. For the same reason, I need to focus on feeding my body right. I am not failing this time, so I am attempting to ease into it more readily that I have in the past.
    I'm kind of doing the same thing, I'm doing some exercise here and there and getting myself to walk more and take the stairs more often but I haven't set myself on a schedule for exercise yet. I'm trying to get my eating under control as well and the app is helping me a lot with making food decisions. Nowadays the only reason I force myself to do exercise is to make sure my net calories balance. Which in the past I never would have bothered to do before. Before I would have tried changing food and exercise (joined a gym) and go diligently for maybe a month and then start slacking off of both as soon as I saw some results. I want and need this time to be different.