'Explain' your tattoo

Replies

• ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    I have the face of a mountain lion on the top of my foot. I worked with rescued exotic cats for ten years, and the tattoo is an actual animal I worked with. The tattooist was a portrait artist ant, I think, did a great job with the shading to keep it realistic. I love it. If posting pics on this site were easier I would take the time to post it.
  • GeordieGirl80s
    GeordieGirl80s Posts: 120 Member
    I currently have 2 tattoos, my first one is a purple & gold Maltese cross on my right shoulder blade that I treated myself to for my 21st. My 2nd one is stylised poppies & little stars with my stepkids names top & bottom on my right calf, which my now ex paid for just after we moved in together.
  • Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    I've got a phoenix over my heart. The phoenix dies but comes back to life stronger and more powerful than before, an the cycle continues. Got the tat because despite all I've experienced in life thus far I'm strong, and though I should be dead, I'm still here.

Have a tribal butterfly my back that represents ambition and intelligence.
  • kuntry_navySD
    kuntry_navySD Posts: 106 Member
    family, farming, hunting, fishing, aviation, working off-shore oil rigs and naval traditions and superstitions, the great state of South Dakota and one of my old coonhound red
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    I am a Michigan block M with the words "those who stay will be Champions" It's a quote by legendary Michigan football coach Bo Schimbechler on my left calf. On December 9th 2011 I quit smoking. Every day I would put $6 in an envelope. The quote I put on post it notes all over my house. When I reached one month I went to tattoo shop. I say if I go back to smoking I have to cut my leg off!
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    All of my tattoos have a life or spiritual meaning. I have the eyes of ra and horus, I have a dragon, I have a warrior skull, I have a pentagram with the goddess and good with the moon and the sun.

My last tattoo, the one below is a bio-mechanic design, which basically represents my physical body being a vehicle/tool of my soul and spirit in this physical lifetime.

25338046_6903.jpg
  • I just have the one (so far... :P), the Triforce from the Legend of Zelda game series, on my arm. Because I like Zelda.

I'm planning on getting a geometric/origami style horse (which I'm designing) on my ankle, because I love horses, and a paper airplane on my wrist, because I love traveling.

My reasons aren't very 'deep', but I don't think they have to be :P

I also want the quote "I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world" somewhere, but idk, it's quite lengthy and I'm not sure where to put it.
  • crystalpotts
    crystalpotts Posts: 130 Member
    I have "Believe" on my left wrist with three stars above it. It's a reminder to me to just believe in myself and i can do anything. The three stars represent my children, one I miscarried and my son and daughter.
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    The one on my back has great personal meaning, it's seven skulls with a dragon atop of them. Each skull represents a belief in life with the dragon as protection.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    A lot of my tattoos are of personal meanings..,.things I went through and some other ones I got just because I wanted to...
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    I have the word foundations on my ribcage in cursive. I've always loved the quote from Thoreau, "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."

The word "foundations" serves as a reminder to always do everything I have to do to achieve even my loftiest dreams.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    I was 18, and I wanted to rebel. So, I got the smallest tattoo the shop had (an anchor). I love it because it reminds me that being spontaneous isn't always a bad thing, but I'm a little embarrassed because it seems like anchors are super trendy. I'm thinking of finding a good artist where I live and incorporating the anchor in a bigger thing.
  • saddare
    saddare Posts: 32 Member
    On my upper left arm I have the POW/MIA emblem, which was my 19th birthday present to myself. My grandfather was a POW in Germany in WWII, and my cousin is still MIA in Vietnam.

I want to get a ring of Snoopys dancing around my ankle (positioned so their heads poke out over the top of my socks when I wear them!), but I haven't quite worked up that courage yet ... I've heard the ankle is *painful*! Maybe when I hit my goal, eh? =D
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    260a91f1-23fc-4629-93cf-81267c25b5d7_zpsbc34c744.jpg

Sugar skull done for the memory of my precious mom. The pink roses were her favorite flowers and pink was her favorite color. We asked everyone to please wear something pink in her memory to her funeral. When I stood in front of that crowd of 300 and looked out at the sea of pink it was touching. I wear this tattoo with love and pride.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    I spent 26 years, nearly all of my adult life, with a woman who loved me but didn't like me. We killed each other a little every day, for reasons neither of us understood. My tattoo is an homage.

998890_527870943933499_1388022906_n.jpg
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    mine's fake... for now. I've wanted one for a long time. I've picked the image -a dragon with blossoms... You have to look closely to see the dragon, I picked it because of my Asian heritage. I got the fake one simply to piss someone off... and it worked. Too bad it's not the real thing.
  • 1nsomniac13
    1nsomniac13 Posts: 133 Member
    I have a Legend of Zelda memorial tattoo on my arm. My nephew was 19 years younger than me, but we were both die-hard fans of the series. When cancer claimed him four years ago, I decided to get a tattoo. The tattoo is in the area that the cancer first started in his body and the tattoo is of the Master Sword and Hylian shield, battle worn and laid to rest.

Seemed like a good tribute for a kid too young to die. :P
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    American Flag with Eagle head on my shoulder. I got it in September 2001, while working in Manhattan. 'Nuff said.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Picture in my profile. The turtle on my left arm is for my daughter. When she was tiny, she would jut her neck out while trying to crawl, earning the nickname of "Turtle". The tattoo is on my left arm/shoulder because that is the side she would always fall asleep on when I would hold her as a baby.
  • A mistake from when I was 18