Guys have weightloss easier, no?

Options
So as an example--my sister's boyfriend needs over 3000 calories just to maintain his weight. If he wanted to lose 2 pounds a week he could cut do so by eating around 2000 calories which is still a decent amount of food. While he's losing 2 pounds on 2000 calories I'm maintaining on that! If I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week that would give me a very low measley 1000 calories a day which is below the minimum acceptable amount of daily calories. To be able to eat that much and still lose weight without any exercise...sigh. And no I am not eating 1000 calories a day.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am a guy and I maintain at around 1800. =(
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Different energy requirements due to total weight and body composition.
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yer my husband can eat 2500 cal and lots carbs and lose weight, so bloody jealous lol I on the other hand eat 1500cal and I cant really eat carbs or ill gain weight, not sure why but this is the wicked way my body works lol
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Maybe.

Still rather be a girl.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    guys can generally cut at a higher calorie limit, but I wouldn't say they have it any easier at losing weight.

And really, if a woman (me included) is eating as much as the average man, no wonder she (or me) had to lose weight.

I loooooove to eat. But once I got used to eating the appropriate amount for me, it was no harder for me to lose weight than a man.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Pick you excuse, there are a myriad of them from which to choose. When, nay if, you ever get to the point where you're done with excuses, then the tools are here.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So as an example--my sister's boyfriend needs over 3000 calories just to maintain his weight. If he wanted to lose 2 pounds a week he could cut do so by eating around 2000 calories which is still a decent amount of food. While he's losing 2 pounds on 2000 calories I'm maintaining on that! If I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week that would give me a very low measley 1000 calories a day which is below the minimum acceptable amount of daily calories. To be able to eat that much and still lose weight without any exercise...sigh. And no I am not eating 1000 calories a day.

Yes, a larger male would be able to eat more calories and still lose weight. However, a 1000 calorie deficit is still a 1000 calorie deficit. I would be just as hungry eating 2000, as you eating 1000. So no, it is not any easier.
  • seashel812
    seashel812 Posts: 25
    Options
    Pick you excuse, there are a myriad of them from which to choose. When, nay if, you ever get to the point where you're done with excuses, then the tools are here.
    It isn't an excuse it's more of an amusement. My sister was telling me how her fiance has recently lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks eating 2500 calories a day after they recently moved in together and heres a guy who doesnt need to lose any weight and isn't even trying to lol. Meanwhile I'm working out and eating much less than he is just to lose the same amount he's losing by doing nothing lol.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

This...
  • sophieR12
    sophieR12 Posts: 43
    Options
    but what is the point in trying to lose weight if you aren't exercising to go with it? you go into starvation mode if you go below 1000 cal a day and your body stores the fat as energy. So you're not going to get rid of it
  • Miljos
    Miljos Posts: 6
    Options
    Setting the deficit is the same for everyone. If you think that's the hard part of losing weight (sticking to a diet plan) then it's the same for everyone.

But yes, men have a few gender perks when it comes to exercising (more testosterone means their resistance training pays off way quicklier ; and less oestrogens means less fat storage - even without paying too much attention that makes a difference on their body composition, a woman has to be fit to have the body composition of a slacking man), and that in itself makes weight loss easier by raising the metabolism (for both men and women, but a woman will need to spend a bit more time in the gym to have the same results). I'm not for inventing excuses, but that is the reality of biology.

In the end, both have the possibility to achieve their goals, though, and since it's not a competition it's irrelevant to compare "bonus" and "malus". You'll have some because of your gender, but even between two women it can be quite different. Just don't make it a competition, otherwise you'll start comparing and that'll go nowhere.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Malus. I need to use that word in a sentence this week.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    And really, if a woman (me included) is eating as much as the average man, no wonder she (or me) had to lose weight.
    ^^ This.

Women often don't seem to understand their portion sizes should be based on their own metabolism.

This doesn't mean you have a more difficult time losing weight, it means you don't understand portion control.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband could lay around in bed all day and not move a muscle...and still eat more than 500 calories more than me a day. It is kind of annoying. But I have more body fat than he does...and considered to be more "fit." So it's a trade-off.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Adult males in general have more lean body mass than females. This leads to a naturally higher basal metabolic rate which basically means he can eat slightly more than a woman and still lose weight.
  • Cocoa1901
    Cocoa1901 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The biggest perk I've found that men have during weight loss is in the motivation department. What I mean is that with men, as long as they apply constant effort and follow all the steps for proper weight loss they'll see a relatively steady decrease in weight/measurements/etc. With women, due to our periods we gain large amounts of liquid weight once a month and our cycling hormones affect the number on the scale to where we see our weight basically going up and down constantly. So it's more discouraging to think you "gained weight" even though it's just your menstrual cycle.

The difference in intake calories is really just because of the physical differences between men and women. To us girls it's definitely a perk that they can eat more, but for them it's really just what they have to do based on their bodies.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Yes, a larger male would be able to eat more calories and still lose weight. However, a 1000 calorie deficit is still a 1000 calorie deficit. I would be just as hungry eating 2000, as you eating 1000. So no, it is not any easier.

And you know this how exactly?
  • seashel812
    seashel812 Posts: 25
    Options
    Adult males in general have more lean body mass than females. This leads to a naturally higher basal metabolic rate which basically means he can eat slightly more than a woman and still lose weight.
    That is true. I guess that could be one argument for why women should lift weights like guys do. Not sure if it's true but I heard somewhere that for each pound of muscle you gain you burn an extra 50 calories. So 10 extra pounds would be an extra 500 calories...not that muscle is the easiest thing to build but still lol
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Easier...well yes technically we do have it a bit easier since we can eat a lot more. When I started at 530lbs I could eat nearly 4000 calories a day and still lose like 3-4 pounds a week. So I can understand the frustration women must have since they usually have very low calorie goals compared to men. That said even 4000 calories a day never felt like enough for me. I was used to nearly 10,000 calories a day. Even today I can still eat around 3000 and still lose weight and its not enough for me. I never feel full so its all about will power from here on out.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    but what is the point in trying to lose weight if you aren't exercising to go with it? you go into starvation mode if you go below 1000 cal a day and your body stores the fat as energy. So you're not going to get rid of it
    Err No No and Thrice No !!if that was the case there would be no starvation in the world and world hunger would never be a problem and we would never see those distressing films of children starving in poor countries when crops have failed because hey no one will ever get thin because they are in 'starvation mode'. Your body will slow down it's metabolism after prolonged periods of VLCD but it does not store more fat and you would still lose weight just slower you would also have a lack of energy, cracked nails lose your hair and many other things and health problems but you would still lose weight.