Are you vegan? Click here, I wanna know more

Options
So, I started MFP a while back before I knew anything about food, and thought diet soda was good for you. I am thinking of adopting a vegan lifestyle for many reasons. Mainly because I don't like meat unless prepared a specific way and even then after eating it I feel sluggish... I am not a huge seafood person, again unless its a really good shrimp pasta or a really great cut of Salmon. Again, I won't die without these items and probably eat them twice a year (Holiday parties etc.) but I am intrigued by veganism and the benefits of eating lots of fruits and veggies. I don't particularly like all fruits and veggies but, I am growing to respect them and enjoy them in different ways...

So any vegans out there with some insight? How to start, do you really have to take B12 supplements? Those make me sick :(

Appreciate any feedback

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but longtime vegetarian.

I can tell you that unless you have the right motivations, it is very difficult to become vegan. If you find it restrictive, don't worry about the vegan label, just eat what your craving. Slowly eliminate the food you don't want to eat anyone.

B12 is essential if your not eating meat, dairy, eggs. Some plant milk is fortified, but a supplement should be taken. B12 can be found in nori and nutritional yeast as well. If you can, get a B12 from methylcobalamin. This kind will not have to be converted in your body first.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    Thanks! Very helpful. I am debating... what if I want somethings... vegetarianism may work out better but, I am curious if veganism will help me in a *healthful* way based on past experiences with eating certain foods. If it doesn't work I am not an extremist Ill do what feels right...
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Right now I am loving the Forks over Knives cookbook. It has a ton of great recipes. Also, there are some pretty good blogs. I like Oh She Glows and the Post Punk Kitchen.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    do you have links to those blogs?
  • detoxjusttoretox
    Options
    I became vegan recently. Yes you do need vitamin b supplements. i started being vegan by simply looking up some vegan recipes and making a meal plan, I then stocked up ingredients and just dived in! Another important thing is getting enough protien, I try to include a form of protien in every meal.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I can tell you that unless you have the right motivations, it is very difficult to become vegan. If you find it restrictive, don't worry about the vegan label, just eat what your craving. Slowly eliminate the food you don't want to eat anyone.

This is the best advice you'll get. I've been vegan for 6 years but if my diet was only influenced by my health I would probably still eat lean meat and eggs. I don't abstain from those for health reasons, but because they don't personally fit in with my own morals. Veganism is an absolute term and if you don't agree with the ethical aspects of it, the diet part will probably not be justifiable. There's nothing wrong with only cutting out certain animal products while keeping others - if you find it better to just cut out dairy or red meat or whatever but keep eating eggs or shrimp, you may still find it an improvement over your current diet. Also, you could try eating a vegan diet most days but still occasionally eat shrimp. Don't get caught up on the all-or-nothing mentality, an improvement is an improvement even if it doesn't fit a label.

I don't think I know anyone who just went vegan cold-turkey, most people work up to it gradually. I tried vegetarianism for a month beforehand and then decided to cut out animal products altogether. Whatever choices you make, though, the end result doesn't necessarily have to be veganism.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am a pescetarian but I eat a lot of vegetarian and vegan meals. Pescetarian is almost like being a vegetarian except you still eat fish. It might be better to start off pescetarian (which sounds like you are almost there already) and then work your way to vegetarianism and then to full vegan if you decide you want to do that. vegan diets are very restrictive and it can also be expensive unless you want to prepare all your meals at home. You can find a lot of cool recipes on pinterest for vegan/vegetarian and pescetarian diets :) Message or Add me if you want to be friends.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If your only motivation is health, than veganism might not be the right thing for you as it's not so easy to balance macronutrients on a vegan diet.
    And yes, you will have to take B12 supplements. Is there a reason why they make you sick?
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Why is diet soda bad for you? Can you reference some peer reviewed studies?
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    Why is diet soda bad for you? Can you reference some peer reviewed studies?

I am sure I could link some things.... honestly diet anything is lying to yourself. If you are going to have something, HAVE it. Don't half *kitten* it. IMO.. all the unatural sweeteners they use and additives don't seem all that great for my body personally... and honestly it tastes like crap
  • kwerner217
    Options
    [/quote]

This is the best advice you'll get. I've been vegan for 6 years but if my diet was only influenced by my health I would probably still eat lean meat and eggs. I don't abstain from those for health reasons, but because they don't personally fit in with my own morals.

[/quote]

THIS. Vegan is a lifestyle, which extends beyond the products we put into our bodies. This also means the use of leather, fur, silk, etc. You can eliminate all animal and animal-derived products from your diet, but without the rest of the picture, you're still vegetarian/following plant-based diet, but not vegan.