Trying to build sloppy joe accuratley

Options
bobcecil
bobcecil Posts: 3
Hello. I am trying to build a "recipe" for sloppy joes, with the standard ingredients i've always used from the store. Nothing fancy but i'm really confused as to how to create the recipe and furthermore understand what my serving size should be for a sloppy joe sandwich. The ingredients are

1. Hunt's manwich BOLD sloppy joe sauce (16oz, serving size 1/4 cup, servings per container "about" 7)

2. 1 pound 73%/27% ground beef (serving size 4oz, servings per container 4)

3. whatever bread/bun (thats the easy part to add to the recipe0

How in the world do I create a recipe and accurately measure the calories? The can of sloppy joe sauce says 7 servings, the uncooked hamburger says 4 servings, I skillet cook/drain the burger, then add the can of sauce as per the instructions. How in the world do I create this so I can accurately document the caloric intake of a sloppy joe? How much do I put on the bread/bun?

thanks in advance, this is day 6 and the first hurdle/question i've come across. I have been delaying making this as I dont know how to record it. But the rest of my family is still wanting some sloppy joes.

Bob.

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    If you have a food scale, it's pretty easy.

So input the whole can(s) of sauce and amount of meat you are using. Decide how many servings that amount is going to make for you, and in the recipe builder there is a spot to put how many servings it is. Weigh the sauce and meat on your scale now that it's cooked and divide whatever number you get (I prefer to use grams) by the number of servings. Put that many grams on each bun.

Log however many servings of meat and sauce you used, and how many buns. :)

If you don't have a food scale it is a little more tricky, but still doable. Just decide how many servings you want and try to evenly place that many servings on each bun!
  • bobcecil
    Options
    Thank you. I'm still confused though. When I am scanning the ingredients. Each ingredient has a different amount of servings. The default of the scan is 1 serving. I assume I should enter the full cans worth of servings. I make up however many people I think the combined ingredients should serve. After I do all that the recipe simply gives me a calorie count for 1 "serving" I have no idea how much a "serving" is, since each ingredient had a different amount of servings per can. I'd like to know what (for example) 1/2 cup is or so on. I'm extremely confused. I do have a scale but the recipe builder doesn't seem to add specific serving sizes.
  • bobcecil
    Options
    Bump
  • TheNamelessOnesWife
    TheNamelessOnesWife Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Warning: MATH

If you are lucky there will also be an option for the entire package under My Fitness Pal. So if the Manwich with says 7 servings, but you end up using 5 or 6, you find the right percentage based off the whole package entry in the food diary.

5 is 1/5 of package, so 0. 20 of the whole package. 6 is 1/6 of package, so 0.1667 of package. My Fitness Pal does the rest.

You can do the same thing even if there is no entire package entry. If only the single serving is available find the percentage between how many servings you used versus what the package says. Take out your calculator! Same example, 7 servings per package, but you get 5 or 6.

7÷6 is 1.1667 entry of one serving in my fitness pal. 7÷5 is 1.4 entry of one serving in my fitness pal. If you got 10 servings, same thing 7÷10 is 0.70 entry in my fitness pal.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want to end up with leftover sauce I just bulk up the recipe with veggies. I would add 8oz of frozen corn and set the servings at 6.