Is my heart getting stronger?

Options
So using my HRM w/chest strap, I have a set playlist of songs that I walk to. Very strong beats to keep me feet moving at a VERY brisk pace. My heart reate used to stay between 160-165 while walking so quickly and steady. The past month, staying just as consistent in my stride to the beat, I can't get my heart rate past 150 and that's when I really involve my arms. My weight has only dropped 7lbs during this time.

So my question is to all the 'ol timers on MFP, those that have improved their health, athletes and trainers.....is my heart more healthy/stronger? :heart: Is it not having to work so hard so I have to amp it up to raise my heart rate?

Also....SHOULD I be concerned with having it so high while working out? Maybe 150 is a good burn?

My stats are 39 yr woman, 5' 5", 210.

Thanks in advance for the advice! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What you are seeing is most likely a training effect. When you start a cardio program the first change is "initial adaptation". That just means you become a little more mechanically adept/efficient at the movement and the effort. Performance increases a little, but there is no real improved fitness. This lasts just a couple or a few workouts.

After that, increases in performance are due to increases in your fitness level. Since your maximum fitness level has increased, the old intensity is now a smaller percentage of your maximum, so the heart rate for that intensity is now lower.

Many people mistakenly believe that because the heart rate is now lower, you are burning fewer calories. That is not the case. Unless you have lost weight, you are pretty much burning calories at the same rate, even with the lower heart rate.

Since your maximum fitness level has improved you can now exercise at a HIGHER workload and thus burn MORE calories.

For example: let's say you were walking at 3.5 mph and that was 70% of your max. At your weight, that would be about 320 calories per hour. Your heart rate is 165.
    After awhile, your fitness level improves. Now 3.5 mph is only 60% of your max. Your heart rate is now 155. However, if your weight is the same, you are still burning 320 calories/hour at that speed. That's because the energy cost of most steady-state aerobic exercise is relatively fixed.
    What is great is that now, because maximum fitness level has increased, you can now walk 4.0 mph at a 70% effort, so at the same 165 heart rate you can now burn 370 calories/hour.
  • jppoynt
    jppoynt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The lower heart rate means you're in better shape (and yes, your heart is stronger)! Congrats!!! I am about your age, and (while I often get my heart rate up into the 150's/160's during a workout) my target heart rates are 109 & 145 (109 for light/moderate exercise, 145 for intense). So you're still above the "working hard" range. Kudos on keeping it up! Your heart rates that you're working out at NOW are more appropriate, so just be happy that you're getting a great workout. Once it gets so that you are having a hard time getting that heart rate up to 140-150 or so, it will be time to step it up (add some hills, jog intervals, faster pace, etc....). So yes.... 150 is a good burn. Way to go!!!! :wink:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I would say, yes your heart is getting stronger and your body is getting used to the exercise. A HR of 150 is still a good burn but you might want to make sure you are switching up what you do some so your body doesn't get complacent. Try switching your route around some to add in different hills or patterns to keep your body guessing.

Great job with becoming a healthier you.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    Many people mistakenly believe that because the heart rate is now lower, you are burning fewer calories. That is not the case. Unless you have lost weight, you are pretty much burning calories at the same rate, even with the lower heart rate.

Since your maximum fitness level has improved you can now exercise at a HIGHER workload and thus burn MORE calories.

THANK YOU!