SATURATED FAT AND HEART DISEASE? REALLY?

Options
2»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    That's still 1633 who joined. I wonder what the percentage of retention MFP in general has - probably very similar.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    That's still 1633 who joined. I wonder what the percentage of retention MFP in general has - probably very similar.

I have no idea what the MFP rate of retention is, however, your comment used that number to indicate membership in the group.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I have no idea what the MFP rate of retention is, however, your comment used that number to indicate membership in the group.

So there are 1633 people who joined the group. How many are active participants? Other than Joanne? Most of the discussion topics are her yelling with no responses.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

So there are 1633 people who joined the group. How many are active participants? Other than Joanne? Most of the discussion topics are her yelling with no responses.

I wouldn't have a clue. But she has seemed to generate interest from some and the people who are no longer active have left MFP in general and not just Joanne's group.

But that aside I actually have an interest in the topic she has posted and agree that sat fat has been unecessarily vilified over the past few decades and only now as science is catching up are we discovering the real culprits to increased heart disease risk.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Attention Cows: Stop looking for alternative activities. You may now return to being delicious.

136101.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I like it when they tell me to eat more chikin.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I would agree that a high intake of sat fat is more beneficial along side a diet low in carbs.

Conclusion: Current evidence does not clearly support cardiovascular guidelines that encourage high consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids and low consumption of total saturated fats.

Primary Funding Source: British Heart Foundation, Medical Research Council, Cambridge National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Centre, and Gates Cambridge.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Funny thread. I actually agree saturated fat was wrongly demonized in the past. Ironically though, Joanne now demonizes sugar in the exact same fallacious way.
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say this and someone will surely crawl up my butt for it but here goes:

I have always felt that I'd rather die of a heart attack than cancer. Give me the saturated fat, thanks. For years when I was a kid, we had margarine shoved at us as the healthy alternative and it was cheaper, so my folks bought it. It's still cheaper and I buy butter. We don't use a lot but, in my mind, it's healthier, so that's what we use.

All things in moderation. Calorie deficit ftw. Everything else is a sales pitch.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the link to the article have been easier? And what is questional?

Here's the link.. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303678404579533760760481486
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Funny thread. I actually agree saturated fat was wrongly demonized in the past. Ironically though, Joanne now demonizes sugar in the exact same fallacious way.

My thoughts exactly.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I wouldn't have a clue. But she has seemed to generate interest from some and the people who are no longer active have left MFP in general and not just Joanne's group.

But that aside I actually have an interest in the topic she has posted and agree that sat fat has been unecessarily vilified over the past few decades and only now as science is catching up are we discovering the real culprits to increased heart disease risk.

When you spend half the day PMing members inviting them to join for years..... 1633 is pretty poor.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

When you spend half the day PMing members inviting them to join for years..... 1633 is pretty poor.

If you say so.

I might not agree with her message, but I appreciate her commitment.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

She generates interest from those looking for something to blame for their weight gain. There was someone who posted on there asking why she hadn't lost any weight after cutting out sugar for several weeks. Not sure if that post is still there or got nuked, but it was amusing watching them try to dance around the question.

I don't have a problem with the topic. As I said, I shared this article weeks ago, as did several other members in various topics. We just probably didn't generate the interest because we weren't screaming in the subject line or have a history of dietary alarmism.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: @ 'dietary alarmism' :drinker: