Ever feel you are too old to start living?

Options
One of the worst things about living with a severe weight problem is that It can stall any life that you wanted to have and by the time you get around to doing something about it you may feel that by the time you get healthy your life is too far over to start over. I am 36 years old and its something I think about everyday. I have no kids, no girlfriend, and starting all that at 36 years old feels like a huge mountain to climb. I take comfort in knowing people older then me have done it, but it still cannot stop the feelings like time is not on my side. I know 36 isn't old but if feels that way sometimes.

Does anyone else who let their obesity get the best of them for so many years ever feel that way?

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    36 isn't too old, as everyone will say. :bigsmile:
    So who's the cute kid on your profile?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nope not me..

my great grand dad died when he was over 100 a few years ago and he FINALLY decided to learn how to read when he was 95.

you're only too old to do stuff if that's your belief, but personally i hink that as long as you are alive then it's never too late. sure you might have to make some adjustments for age but that shouldn't be a deterrent.

we should always be works in progress.
  • shrinkingmichelle
    shrinkingmichelle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No. My teenagers will say that I have one foot on a banana peel and the other on a patch of ice on the way OVER THE HILL. But I assure you 46 is not OLD for me and it's not too late to get healthy! I do think that since I am 321 lbs. that it will take at least 2 years to get to a really healthy weight.

Michelle in Ohio
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Live for TODAY not what tomorrow may bring. You are still young and have time to experience all the things you want. :flowerforyou:
  • lewoldt
    lewoldt Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and have battled with my weight and depression my whole life. Both causing the other to get worse.
    I've been jealous of thinner younger people and felt like a dog chained to the porch as life went by.
    Finally at 43 I'm ready to break the chains and make people jealous of me for a change.
    So at 36 you have PLENTY of time to change your life around and start living the life you dream of
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That is my niece Ella, she is a quite a handful.

adQMlrW.jpg
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    No, I don't - at age 55 - but at age 35 I decided since I was single, the only way I was going to have kids was if I married someone with kids or adopted older kiddos. However - it was more related to finding the right person to share my life with than my age.

It's ok to have days and times when you evaluate where you are in life and where you want to be.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yep!!! Years 18-34 for me. I have always had an enjoyable life but damn.......Wish I knew then what I know now!!!
  • Becky60s
    Becky60s Posts: 11
    Options
    I struggle with that occasionally, but I'm almost 60, and working hard to overcome that attitude. How I'd love to have as much life ahead of me as you do! I live alone, too, and I know it's a challenge, but for right now it gives you the freedom to focus on YOU-- eat what and when you want, exercise at midnight if you want-- and be ready when that special lady crosses your path next week or next year or whenever. Trust me, if I've learned anything at my age, it's that life can totally change in the blink of an eye, and when you least expect it.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and have battled with my weight and depression my whole life. Both causing the other to get worse.
    I've been jealous of thinner younger people and felt like a dog chained to the porch as life went by.
    Finally at 43 I'm ready to break the chains and make people jealous of me for a change.
    So at 36 you have PLENTY of time to change your life around and start living the life you dream of

Thanks, I hope that you are successful in your goals.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I was 45 when it finally 'clicked' for me and I started losing weight. You're NOT old...

feel free to read my excuses story I posted the other day...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1305329-excuses-excuses
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Nope! I believe in the saying "life is for the living. Because you're a long time dead"

You've got to do it for you though. Although of course family/friends can be a great motivation. But the only person who can really change us is ourselves.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I am 27 and feel that way often. It's sad.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    36 years young is the time of life when you get your stride in life. IOW you're young and still have a metabolism that will burn calories and fat if you work it.

You never look back, look forward to the rest of your life. Keep going. You know people who work out 3 to 4 times a week take off 10 to 15 years off of their age. That is a fact.

People who are in their 50's and 60's can be in much better shape than many that are in their 30's. So work for the rest of your life to be like these very healthy and active 60 years young plus people.
  • FeedTheWolf
    Options
    One of the worst things about living with a severe weight problem is that It can stall any life that you wanted to have and by the time you get around to doing something about it you may feel that by the time you get healthy your life is too far over to start over. I am 36 years old and its something I think about everyday. I have no kids, no girlfriend, and starting all that at 36 years old feels like a huge mountain to climb. I take comfort in knowing people older then me have done it, but it still cannot stop the feelings like time is not on my side. I know 36 isn't old but if feels that way sometimes.

Does anyone else who let their obesity get the best of them for so many years ever feel that way?

I know how you feel. I feel that way nearly everyday. However, this:
    my great grand dad died when he was over 100 a few years ago and he FINALLY decided to learn how to read when he was 95.

Is pretty inspiring, I must say!
  • Pamelicious1988
    Pamelicious1988 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lukewind, you have achieved great success in your weight loss—over 100 pounds! Start by feeling proud of that, every single day. Get outside your own head. Give yourself a hug. Smile. Then start dreaming. You are a YOUNG man. Don't envy other people's lives. Not everyone who has a significant other or kids is happy, and if you want a girlfriend, a good one won't find that negative attitude attractive. Design your own life, dream big, and get busy making it happen. Do something you've always wanted to do. Try something new. Jump out of your comfort zone. Life is short, my friend, so live it up. What I wouldn't give to be 36 again.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    That is my niece Ella, she is a quite a handful.

adQMlrW.jpg

oh my gosh she is adorable!!! and I love her name
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I was fat most of my life. I worked very hard to become fit and healthy. I started running at age 53, two years ago. Today I ran my first half marathon distance. Do I wish I would have started sooner? Of course. Now I wouldn't trade my new fit body for anything. What are you going to tell yourself when you're my age? Gee I wish I hadn't quit after losing 108 pounds when I was in my thirties?

It just emotion talking. Don't listen to it. There is a constant battle between emotion and logic raging in most of us. Let logic win.

Quit wearing your wishbone where your backbone should be.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm 35, divorced, single. Guess I'm doomed... Seriously?! Open your eyes and enjoy anything that happens around you. You might die when you're 100 or you might die tomorrow. Live like each day is your last. Make a bucket/life list that reflects your dreams and goals, then start living. Today is as good a day as any to feel alive. Strike a conversation with a stranger because you know you'll never meet them again, go skinny dipping in the night, eat ice cream in the sunshine, stick your toes in the sand or walk on the grass, call a friend, volunteer, walk your dog if you have one, participate in something.