June Cycling Challenge 2014

Options
CricketKate
CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
This is so exciting for me. June is the 2 year anniversary of this cycling challenge. When I first started, I had no idea how much I would grow to love riding, or how many people would join in. I got my first adult bike for mother's day 2012. It's true what they say: It's like riding a bike, you never forget. My body remembered the motions, but I don't ever remember the pain back when I was a kid. Although I've improved a lot over the last 2 years, I still have roads untraveled.

This is a very casual thread. We welcome cyclers of all shapes, sizes, and experience level. If you are just trying out, then this is the thread for you! If you ride 100 miles a week, this thread is for you! If you are going to spin class, this thread is for you! Mountain biking, commuting, pulling a trailer to the park, this thread is for you!

Post anything you want: Miles, Minutes, condition of your tush, Whatever. Welcome new faces and Welcome back familiar faces!

Replies

• george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi I love cycling iv done 25+ miles today in 2hrs 38 mins
    Great to join the challenge
  • ashleythompson1988
    Options
    nice quick ride today only 90mins

31 miles 90.30 mins 20.5 avg.

junes mtd 31
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Ok my wife and I are in for June

20 mile ride today to start us off

500 miles for the month?
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Goal for June= 400 miles and 20,000 feet of climbing!

6/01 - 61 miles @ 18mph w/3,300 feet of climbing.

Lets hope I get closer to my goal then I did last month when I was 110 miles short!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I'm slow, but I did 15.5 miles today in 120 minutes.

No cycling goal this month, but I think it'd be fun to track total mileage.
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Got in a really nice 22 mile ride before the wind picked up today. I know riding in the wind is good for me but I try hard to avoid it! (Currently 16 mph gusting to 35)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Happy anniversary, CricketKate! Last month was my first, but it really helped me get back in the cycling groove.

Made my goal last month despite really applying myself only in the second half of the month, so I'm raising it this month to 225 miles.

So far:

June 1--26.2 miles (okay, 26.18, but I like the number when I round up). Slow and steady (too many traffic lights and other interferences, I need to find somewhere else to ride in order to work on my speed or start going by 6 am) and sadly my arms are now burnt. Oh, well. I will eventually get the hang of sunscreen.

198.82 miles to go.
  • novespecial
    novespecial Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will jump in on this challenge. I will try for 350 miles for the month.
  • e_smith06
    e_smith06 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Goal for June - 250 miles
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    Count me in. I love riding and it it helped me to lose 72 pounds! All the benefits of running with the body being wracked in pain or the potential stress of the heart.
  • faugsu
    faugsu Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Cricket!! June 1st is mine too - my first anni of retiring. It's great to sleep, read & ride! I recommend it!

6-1-14 20 miles
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm in, going to try for 300 in June.
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm in planning to reach 700+ miles.

Started the month with 47.6 miles.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd set a goal of 100 miles for June, but I think I'm gonna shoot for 120 instead.
  • Fancy_66
    Fancy_66 Posts: 17
    Options
    I am just returning to cycling after a cycling injury last August that brought my world to a screeching halt! I herniated a disc in my neck while climbing on my bike.....spent the next 5 months in therapy, which in my opinion made it worse but insurance required the therapy first....MRI in December confirmed herniated disc...had disc removal, graft and fusion in January this year. Just got released to ride again end of April... I accumulated 210 miles in May....not my 600 I logged last July but at least I am back at it!!! AND have lost 31 of the 34 pounds I gained from last August until March of this year....now to work on the 20 I needed to lose before all that!

Started off June today with a 22.8 mile ride
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Looking to do 650+ for June.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I would like to average about 10 miles per day six days a week. I think I will try 250 miles for this month.

Monthly goal 250
    Total so far 11.6

5/1 - 11.6
  • Irishlaurie
    Irishlaurie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I rode 13.73 miles yesterday. It took me a little less then 2 hours. I am very slow! I really love riding and it almost does not feel like exercise. I try to do between 13-14 miles every other day. I am very new to cycling and hope to get a bike more suitable then the big box store mountain bike I have sometime this summer. Happy riding!!
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    New to cycling, and I'm in for a challenge! Hoping for 150 miles in June.

Goal: 150
    6/2 - 6.9

Miles to go: 143.1
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    June1: 46.70mi road