I'm 18 days in and feeling disappointed..

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Three pounds of water weight?

My weight can fluctuate that much in a DAY. Sometimes more!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

Yep, could be more with TOM.

It is so weird to hear a guy say this. I thought that was grounds for having to surrender your Man Card.

(jk - because you could be right)

:smile:
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yup, 3-4lb flux over night sometimes. Its frustrating as all get out, but it will drop back down. Sometimes if I WAY over do the sodium, I'll feel so bloated and swollen, and see a significant gain on the scale. 1-2lbs per WEEK is normal. 5lbs in 3 weeks is amazing! I've been at this for month and am just now seeing a 5lb loss. There is no magic cure, the weight is not going to fall off, be proud you've lost 3 inches overall.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's a slow process. 5 pounds in less than 3 weeks is great! And if you've lost inches too you're doing well. Hang in there and keep at it.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Fat loss is a grind. Trust your deficit. Focus on losing the next pound only. They will add up. It will take time.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Be patient.

And...be patient.

Oh and also...be patient.

:flowerforyou:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I always gain at least 4 pounds of water at that TOM. And yeah I think some people on here have said their weight fluctuates daily as much as 7-10 pounds. Weigh again next week and you might have lost more than you think.

But 3 pounds in 3 weeks is good loss, so you're actually doing well.
  • krissyboothang
    krissyboothang Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a food scale, get one. Weigh all food for best accuracy.

If you don't have a scale that measures half pounds or better, get one. Weigh daily, right after waking and using the bathroom, but before eating, drinking, or doing any form of exercise. When/If you do cardio, make sure you weigh before and after. Whatever that difference is, drink it back in water.

If you don't have a body fat measurement device (calipers or bio-electrical impedance), get one. Check your stats once a week, in the morning, when you get up, right after doing your business, but before eating/drinking/exercising.

If you don't have a tape measure, get one. Once a month, take measurements of neck, bust, waist, hips, thigh, wrist, arms. That may be overkill, so pick the ones that suit you.

For your workouts, if you dont have a HRM, get one.

For all the "get" stuff above, I recognize money is always tight for everyone. From a priority standpoint, I'd recommend a food scale ($10-20), then the BF measure ($30-40 for bio impedance, while cheap calipers are about $5), then an HRM (varies dramatically depending on passive/active, and if paired with other devices. if you run/bike/swim, I'd recommend a garmin)

Realize that TOM affects bloating / water weight and will temporarily add weight for a few days. This goes away on its own. If you weigh daily, you'll see this and know that you can safely ignore it.

Realize that increased strength will have you weighing more, while getting smaller. This is actually desirable. This is where having a body fat scale comes in handy as a secondary measure. Muscle is more preferred then fat because your body can eat muscle to repair itself if you get injured. It can't really do the same with fat.

Realize that losses take time. Gains didn't happen over night, so don't expect immediate losses either. Besides, if you lose weight too fast, and don't properly hydrate, there's a higher likelihood of having excess skin hanging around, which isn't nearly as attractive in the nude as being obese.

Good luck.

Great Advice
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. 5 lbs in 18 days is fantastic. You may also want to lower your expectations.

Weigh your food with a food scale.

And read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • itistobeme
    itistobeme Posts: 12
    Options
    It can feel agonizingly slow, however remember that one pound a week is healthy and safe, at at that rate, more likely to stay off then when lost more quickly. Find an object that weighs one pound and another that weighs five and remind yourself how much weight that really is. And also try counting forward 10 weeks on the calendar and stay focused on doing all the right things for those 10 weeks. You'll be down another 10 by then. It's hard to wait. It's worth it though. It didn't go on in 18 days and it won't come off that quickly either! Be strong and use your network.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    First tip: forget how much you weigh and focus on the inches lost
    I'm 8 lbs less than you but I have lost a lot of inches and am in pretty good shape. Those 8 lbs lost were from January til now. Consider your loss a good one and keep pushing forward
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Inches are more important than pounds. There will be times when your body is changing fat into muscle and the weight will stay close to the same but you will be losing inches. That's why your check-in should have weight as well as measurements.

You are still losing weight. Nothing to worry about. Losing weight slowly may be annoying, but you're more likely to keep it off than if you lost it all quickly.

If your weight stays the same for a month or you even gain a pound...
    -lower your calorie goal
    -if your goal is already 1200, make sure you're measuring your food
    -do a more intense exercise program
    -eat back only half of your exercise calories (due to underestimates in calories consumed and overestimation in calories burned)

If you aren't eating much and exercising a lot for a month and your weight loss stops...
    -take a week off where you eat at maintenance mode and exercise a lot less or not at all
    -after the week is over, go back to normal

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

As you can tell, weight loss slows a lot toward the end. This is because you can no longer eat as much of a deficit and your exercise isn't going to burn as much as it did when you were heavier.
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That kind of loss then gain is pretty common, especially in the beginning, as you lose the water weight and beginning fat and gain some muscle.
    18 days is not long enough to judge though! Keep going and more good results will come.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been moderately working out 3-5 times per week, always drink my water, I do measure and count my food
    In total I have lost 1.5 off my hips and 1.5 off my waist but if I'm noticing inches dropping shouldn't the weight be dropping too?
    It's so discouraging... Thank god I hold my weight well
    That's excellent! Keep up the good work!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I know 18 days isn't enough to see great results but I really thought I would see more than a 5 pound drop and a three pound gain.. I have lost inches but being 5'1 and 180 pounds I thought I would see a significant weight loss considering I am always in range or lower than my caloric goal... Any tips?

18 days isn't enough to see results period.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was carting around about 4 pounds of extra water the last few weeks due to caffeine increase (I am sensitive to caffeine and it makes me retain water) and very sore muscles from working out.

Water retention is pretty normal anyway, but increases with our workouts.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Much of your body weight IS water, it is totally normal to fluctuate 5 pounds in water weight just throughout the course of a day.

You have to track your progress for longer than 18 days to see if you are losing fat because water weight fluctuations will mask any actual fat loss until you lose enough fat to say for sure that the change in the scale is due to actual weight loss and not just fluctuations in water retention.

This takes time.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes I've been moderately working out 3-5 times per week, always drink my water, I do measure and count my food
    In total I have lost 1.5 off my hips and 1.5 off my waist but if I'm noticing inches dropping shouldn't the weight be dropping too?
    It's so discouraging... Thank god I hold my weight well

Sounds like you are seeing some results, but understandable that you want to see more. I am not an expert by any means, but it does seem like you should be seeing a bit more on the scale, especially with the awesome size drop you are seeing!

Weight is for sure not the only, or even the most important measure, but it can be encouraging especially when you are starting out. Here are some tips I'd have to help encourage you:

1) I don't know how you work out, but when I first started running my weight was ALWAYS up for 2 days after a longer run (6 miles). As my body got used to the increased intensity my workouts didn't cause me to retain or gain water weight. If you are starting a new routine, it is possible your body is responding the same way that mine did - are you weighing yourself every day?

2) Measure your food. Log EVERYTHING. Buy a food scale and use it religiously, likely this is the only thing that you really need to change. Most of the time people over-eat and under-log. They also eat back too many calories as MFP can over-estimate the calories we burn in a workout. So having a solid understanding of your actualized intake can help you figure out where you need to be.

3) Try to incorporate new, small activities into your day. Go for a 20 minute walk and listen to a book on tape. Do sit ups during one commercial. While you are waiting for something to cook in the microwave, do squats or lunges. I know this sounds dumb, but it will really make a difference! You will find yourself more energetic and making better decisions because you are moving more. It doesn't have to be a "work out" to work! Just get yourself moving every day in some way and it will pay off in spades. Honestly, the days I eat the WORST are the ones that I'm sedentary. When I start my day with a long walk with my dog and then take care to stretch etc, it really puts my focus on taking care of myself rather than indulging my cravings. :)

Anyways, those are just some things that I've noticed - you keep up the good work. It takes a while but it will all work out!
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Yep, could be more with TOM.

Yep - shark week I gain around 5 pounds. Then it drops right back off. Don't sweat it.

You're doing just fine. Keep eating well, staying active.

"Shark week" lol, I like that name.