HRM vs MFP vs treadmill!

Options
Good morning!
I have been excited to start using my heart rate monitor (New Balance N4). Yesterday at the gym I ran 20 minutes and according to the HRM it said I burned about 157 calories (granted, I was taking it easy). The treadmill was picking up my heart rate monitor reading, but it said I burned 220 calories, and MFP gave me 210 calories. That is a huge range!! Should I go with the lowest (kinda a bummer), take an average of the three. OR try it again today and see what happens? I will mention that I used it for a spinning class and the calorie burn on the HRM was much closer to MFP. Thanks!!

Replies

• MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would go with the hear rate monitor... usually I find that MFP has higher numbers than the machine I'm using or a hear rate monitor.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i go with my HRM. My treadmill and mfp are 100 calories or more OVER. I'd rather take the lower and work out more i guess... my hrm also tracks mileage as less. when i used to just follow the treadmill i thought i was doing nearly 6 miles a day and if my hrm is correct its almost half! craziness!
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    I had that same issue but between my HRM, MFP, and a pedometer program for my iphone. after some research, and talking to my doctor, I found that the HRM is a more accurate reading of you calories burned, as it take into account your heart rate, and what exercise zone your in. (ie: fatburning, aerobic, or cardio) but with the treadmill reading off your HRM, I'd take an average of what your HRM, and the treadmill read.
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    You need to go with the hrm number but also reduce the calories that you would have normally burned which is roughly 1.5 calories per minute. I worked out this morning for 60 minutes and burned 400 calories. 60 times 1.5 is 90 so I only counted 310 calories burned.