Running Speed

Options
I recently began running. I'm really slow. Like really, really slow. I'm wondering how long it takes to pick up speed? I am considering signing up for a sprint tri in September, but the cut off for the run (3 miles) is 45 minutes. Right now I would be right at the cut off. I can't run a whole three miles, but I can run 1.5 or so at about a 14 minute/mile pace. I'm sure my second 1.5 miles would be slower than the first, so obviously I need to pick up speed in order to be sure I can finish in time.

When you started running, how quickly did you find yourself getting faster? If I follow my training plan, will is bring down my time enough to be sure that I can finish the run portion of the tri in time?

Replies

• aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    at the beginning, when you're first learning, sometimes you're faster with the walk breaks.
    However a regular Couch to 5k plan is only 9 weeks and since you can already run quite a bit, you could probably start at week 3 or 4 (take a look at it to make sure). Following that plan, you'll be able to finish a 5k within the time limit allotted. I wouldn't worry about the pace, or push yourself to run faster. Get to where you can run 20-25 minutes without stopping at any pace, even if it's barely more than walking, (which it seems like you can do) then start trying to go a farther distance within that 20 minutes. (which is sort of how the C25K program ends up doing)

I stayed with a run/walk program for the first year of running, so I don't know what pace I was able to do, but my first 5k was 40 min or so and I dropped down to 35 pretty soon after.

Oddly enough, I'm an ultramarathoner now and I use a lot of what I learned doing a run/walk routine in super long races. ha ha ha.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You should not worry about speed at this point. Simply running more and regularly will increase your speed!

Some wise people told me the exact same thing 1 year ago... And it worked. Proof: 13 months ago I ran 3 miles straight for the first time at 13 min/mi. Last week I ran my first marathon (26.2 miles) at 8:45 min/mi.

Have some faith in the process :)
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What Josee said about increased mileage leading to faster times... I also found the same to be true. In January I started out doing 3 miles at just over 12:00 miles. Last week I finished my first half marathon at an average pace of 9:45... Holy cow Josee... 8:45 seems unattainable right now even for a half!!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I recently began running. I'm really slow. Like really, really slow. I'm wondering how long it takes to pick up speed? I am considering signing up for a sprint tri in September, but the cut off for the run (3 miles) is 45 minutes. Right now I would be right at the cut off. I can't run a whole three miles, but I can run 1.5 or so at about a 14 minute/mile pace. I'm sure my second 1.5 miles would be slower than the first, so obviously I need to pick up speed in order to be sure I can finish in time.

When you started running, how quickly did you find yourself getting faster? If I follow my training plan, will is bring down my time enough to be sure that I can finish the run portion of the tri in time?

Is your 45ish min 5K off of your riding the prescribed bike distance, or on its own?
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    don't forget that after swimming and biking you may be even slower. I know I sure am. That transition from bike to run is tough. Even if you miss the cut off time you still went out and played right! That is huge. Triathlons are tough even a sprint.
  • meltoine
    meltoine Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Is your 45ish min 5K off of your riding the prescribed bike distance, or on its own?

On it's own. I haven't run a full 5K yet though, just 1 mile. I haven't had the opportunity to combine the two yet.
  • _Josee_
    Options
    What Josee said about increased mileage leading to faster times... I also found the same to be true. In January I started out doing 3 miles at just over 12:00 miles. Last week I finished my first half marathon at an average pace of 9:45... Holy cow Josee... 8:45 seems unattainable right now even for a half!!

I did my first half last september (after running for 6 months) at 9:39. I did my second one in April at 8:00. Best way to improve you half time is to actually do long runs longer than 13 miles. Get comfortable with the distance and you'll get faster. I swear :)
  • newb01
    newb01 Posts: 22
    Options
    Know what the best exercise in the world is? Want to know the most important part? It is any exercise you can do consistently. I don't care if your running 40 min miles...if you do it 5x a week...that is great.

There is no slow or bad exercise because almost none of us are uber athletes. Your doing great! Keep it up and your times will go down....or not..but NEVER EVER give up.

Join that race....push yourself! Good luck!
  • _Josee_
    Options
    don't forget that after swimming and biking you may be even slower. I know I sure am. That transition from bike to run is tough. Even if you miss the cut off time you still went out and played right! That is huge. Triathlons are tough even a sprint.

^^^ Very true!

But I think you should concentrate on getting comfortable with running 3.1 miles on it's own before starting to do brick workouts. Although I'm am not a triathlete... So I might be wrong.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I agree, just keeping extending mileage first! My first half was nov 2012....1:57 (llongest run was 8 miles before!) then I really trained and built mileage, added speed days after a while...came back to the same race in 2013 and ran the full in 3:30!! Just keep running, you will get there.

Our Y does spin and run combo classes (bike, swim , run too but you have to sign up for those). Maybe check out your local Y.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the training plan you are talking about is a plan for "running".

If yes, I second to what everyone has said - up the miles. The more we humans do the same thing over and over again we jus' start getting better at it.

However one more additional thing - speed intervals. There should be a day assigned in your training plan for speed intervals. Please do not ignore them. They will help you in building speed.

Good Luck.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you get faster as you train and increase your distance. also, i find that as you improve in the swim and the bike, your running also improves.

and i'm not a very fast runner at all, but i ran one of my best 5k times at the last leg of my third sprint tri.

find a sprint triathlon training plan on beginnertriathlete.com. They are a great resource.
  • morekettlebell
    Options
    Using an interval timer and doing a combination of run/walk will help increase your speed the fastest. When I was training for a marathon, I only had 6 months. I started my training at a pace of 12.5 minute miles. 13 months later, I'm at a little over 7.5 minute miles now. I can run without stopping now, but the run/walk definitely helped me increase my speed the most in the beginning. When you run with no breaks, your pace starts to slow. If you take a walk break (even just 10 seconds for each 90 seconds of jogging) you catch your breath and give your legs a break, it's easier to run faster the next interval. Good luck at your tri!
  • _Josee_
    Options

If yes, I second to what everyone has said - up the miles. The more we humans do the same thing over and over again we jus' start getting better at it.

However one more additional thing - speed intervals. There should be a day assigned in your training plan for speed intervals. Please do not ignore them. They will help you in building speed.

Good Luck.

I don't think she should do speed intervals at this point. It stresses the body too much for a new runner. Her muscles and tendons needs to adapt to her running load before even thinking about those.

Just my 2 cents....
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

I don't think she should do speed intervals at this point. It stresses the body too much for a new runner. Her muscles and tendons needs to adapt to her running load before even thinking about those.

Just my 2 cents....

i agree and disagree. the focus should be on endurance and increasing distance. speed intervals and fartlek work can be done, but only occasionally, maybe once every other week.

also, hills should be done as well. hills are speed work in disguise.
  • _Josee_
    Options

Good Luck.

Just my 2 cents....

i agree and disagree. the focus should be on endurance and increasing distance. speed intervals and fartlek work can be done, but only occasionally, maybe once every other week.

also, hills should be done as well. hills are speed work in disguise.

Eventually yes. Absolutely.
    Not while she can't run farther than 1.5 miles though... One thing at a time: distance, then speed.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

Just my 2 cents....

Agreed but I also said
    There should be a day assigned in your training plan for speed intervals. Please do not ignore them.

What I'm saying is based on the training plan she is following if there happens to be a speed interval day, I'm asking her to not ignore it.

If her training plan does not have a day assigned for speed interval, then of course the question doesn't arise.

IMO everything is based on what her training plan says.

OP didn't mention what training plan she is following and hence my 1st statement was I'm assuming it is running training plan and not tri.
  • _Josee_
    Options

Good Luck.

Just my 2 cents....

Agreed but I also said
    There should be a day assigned in your training plan for speed intervals. Please do not ignore them.

What I'm saying is based on the training plan she is following if there happens to be a speed interval day, I'm asking her to not ignore it.

If her training plan does not have a day assigned for speed interval, then of course the question doesn't arise.

IMO everything is based on what her training plan says.

OP didn't mention what training plan she is following and hence my 1st statement was I'm assuming it is running training plan and not tri.

No beginner plan building from 0 running to 5K' will have speed work in it. If there is, she needs a better plan!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I've been running for more than five years and my time in races is the same as it was when I was a beginner. I mean, I ran faster for my first five km race than I run now! I usually run one to three times a week, 3 - 5 km, at least 7 months of the year, with a 10 km race once a year.

I think that the only way I will run faster is if I train with speed intervals, or push myself with a heart rate monitor.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

On it's own. I haven't run a full 5K yet though, just 1 mile. I haven't had the opportunity to combine the two yet.

My opinion having done a few sprints is that you should wait this one out and get your running in order. Once you can make cutoff with time to spare (maybe this tri, probably the next one), practice your bike/run bricks and see how you do hot off the bike. I run a 20ish min 5K, and off a 20K bike, I'm 24min at best.