30 Day Squat Challenge Results - Pics

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Since it's only 30 days, don't expect much of a change, with the exception in your confidence and execution. If you're ready now, then start doing to weighted squats to get much better results.
    Body weight squats don't improve the legs if body weight is going down. Resistance has to be more challenge to see improvement.
    Good job and don't be afraid to take the next step.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Sorry, but do you mean that if you're losing weight while doing squats, there will be no change? I'm wondering because I really want to get into doing something to lift my butt and make my quads look better. What do you suggest?
    There is less resistance (weight) on the legs to move, so the muscle doesn't get stronger nor any firmer. Now you can change leverage of the squat (pistol or shrimp squat, jump squats) which would increase the resistance, but even then when one gets use to doing several reps of them with no challenge, they are just working on muscle endurance.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Once I got up to maybe 100 or 120, I would take a small break, shake my legs out and then start again. The only other exercise I did was walking, a couple days here and there of legs lifts, but I really was not focused on anything else during the month of May other than doing squats! I did not do them with weights and these were my results.

I truly believe everyone's body is different and will respond differently.

You can't argue with results. That's for sure :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Nice work!

Have you tried squatting with heavy weights? I have gone from squatting 40 lbs. to 115 lbs. since I started April 24th, I am still losing weight and my size (including clothing sizes) just keeps getting lower. I was 10/12 jeans now I am 7/8. I was medium or large shirts and shorts, now I am size small. I was at 41 lbs. down when I started lifting heavy weights, I am just about to hit 50 down, 1/2 lb. to go.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Since it's only 30 days, don't expect much of a change, with the exception in your confidence and execution. If you're ready now, then start doing to weighted squats to get much better results.
    Body weight squats don't improve the legs if body weight is going down. Resistance has to be more challenge to see improvement.

IDEA Fitness member

Sorry, but do you mean that if you're losing weight while doing squats, there will be no change? I'm wondering because I really want to get into doing something to lift my butt and make my quads look better. What do you suggest?

Lift heavy weights and stop messing around with bodyweight movements. They're a great start, but you will only see so much progress. Get under a barbell, squat, deadlift, lunge.
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    Awesome! I have started this today with the 30 day abs challenge!

Wonderful!!! I am doing the 30 day Ab challenge this month as well! :) Also working on arms this month and getting my cardio in PLUS eating clean for 30 days. Aaah! :) Will be posting results of that as well.

Lifting is great. I highly approve of it. But, if you can't get to the gym (like me, pfft, it's pretty impossible with my 4 kids, 1 of which is a toddler and the other is 3mo old), body weight exercises are better than no exercises!

Everyone keep up the hard work!!!! :D
  • Beautys1Tragedy
    Beautys1Tragedy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the ab and squats challenge that started today. I was invited by my sister on FB. I just finished mine for the night and OMG... IT HURTSSSSSS! lol
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

There is less resistance (weight) on the legs to move, so the muscle doesn't get stronger nor any firmer. Now you can change leverage of the squat (pistol or shrimp squat, jump squats) which would increase the resistance, but even then when one gets use to doing several reps of them with no challenge, they are just working on muscle endurance.

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did this last year...in May actually...I disagree with lack of results...

PhotoGrid_1370995852429_zpsffb6450c.jpg

Pic 1..day 1
    Pic 2 Day 10
    Pic 3 Day 30...

I agree more of a change in the first 10 days...it gave my butt a lift.

The other thing it did was spur me onto more...I did 2months of 30DS...now I lift heavy...

Even as someone who loves lifting heavy I hate to see people chastized or told to stop doing bodyweight exercises and start lifting.

Maybe they don't want to lift heavy, maybe they are intimitated by it, maybe this is a stepping stone for them we don't know. I personally feel that congratulating them on their progress and motivation should be done and suggest other steps...not demand.
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ Thank You!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^

I am not scared of it, I don't have access to it right now. I'm also not ready for it. I will be someday and probably in the next few months or so. Everyone is at different stages in their journey and this is no easy challenge. It was very very hard and I am extremely proud of my dedication AND results.

Congrats for having great results as well!!

Very excited for anyone who is willing to give this a try. It def works the cardio AND the muscles. You feel it, if you do the squats correctly, you DEFINITELY feel it and baby, it burns. Good luck everyone!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I did this last year...in May actually...I disagree with lack of results...

PhotoGrid_1370995852429_zpsffb6450c.jpg

Pic 1..day 1
    Pic 2 Day 10
    Pic 3 Day 30...

I agree more of a change in the first 10 days...it gave my butt a lift.

The other thing it did was spur me onto more...I did 2months of 30DS...now I lift heavy...

Even as someone who loves lifting heavy I hate to see people chastized or told to stop doing bodyweight exercises and start lifting.

Maybe they don't want to lift heavy, maybe they are intimitated by it, maybe this is a stepping stone for them we don't know. I personally feel that congratulating them on their progress and motivation should be done and suggest other steps...not demand.

Yep. That's why I just ignored the other post :flowerforyou:
  • Emsie_lou
    Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have now finished day 2 of both squats and abs challenge and boy do I hurt!! I will keep at it though. Instead of treadmill at the gym I opted for swimming as I don't want to overdo it - still 70 lbs overweight!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ Thank You!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^

I am not scared of it, I don't have access to it right now. I'm also not ready for it. I will be someday and probably in the next few months or so. Everyone is at different stages in their journey and this is no easy challenge. It was very very hard and I am extremely proud of my dedication AND results.

Congrats for having great results as well!!

Very excited for anyone who is willing to give this a try. It def works the cardio AND the muscles. You feel it, if you do the squats correctly, you DEFINITELY feel it and baby, it burns. Good luck everyone!

I forgot to add that you had great results too...congrats.

And you are right it was hard esp after not doing anything for a long time...and you should be proud a lot don't finish.

When I did the squat challenage near the end I broke them up into sets...sumo style for 25, then legs closer together for next 25 and did it like that...works different muscles.
  • ptw330
    ptw330 Posts: 14
    Options
    Wow great results, so havent taken pics but currently doing the squat challenge, hopefully i can keep it up on day 3 = 40squats rest tomorrow then 50 on thursday so on! Feeling the burn!
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    My bum is still sore from this challenge!!!!! Ouchie!!!

My squat challenge started with day 1 = 50 squats and so on. 3 days on 1 day off (which I've heard is a great rule of thumb anyways. Day 30 = 250 squats. There are squat challenges that have fewer squats done each day with a lower maximum number and those would probably kick your butt (hehe) too.

Today = Day 3 of my Ab challenge. I'm a bit concerned about this one because sit ups are so stinking hard for me! But, onwards and forwards. It can and WILL be done. I am determined. Also, I'm on Day 3 of my Clean Eating 'Only What God Made' challenge. My husband is doing it with me and honestly, I get full a LOT faster on a lot less. I've got more energy. I feel better. And that's after two days! I wonder how I'll feel after 30! :)

Keep pushing for your dreams. Do it for you. Do it for the popular phrase "Oh my God, you got hot!!!!!!!!" Do it because your health matters. Don't just get skinny. Get FIT!

:heart:
  • shaylalaine
    shaylalaine Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You inspired me, I will begin the challenge!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I have started this today with the 30 day abs challenge!

I started on June 1st with the squat and 30 day abs challenge too!! It's harder than I thought it would be. I didn't think so when I first saw the challenge, but it increases rapidly. Good luck to you!

OP - NICE! Thanks for posting! I'm inspired to make it all 30 days!

Edited to add: Hadn't looked at page 2 of this thread. Looks like there are a lot of us doing the challenges in June!
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Great results! I suggest everyone get into doing weighted barbell squats if you can! But even a goblet squat is a challenge, and that is do-able in your home. The squat challenge is a great way to start.
  • I signed up just to say: THIS! A million times over.

• scarlet717
    scarlet717 Posts: 14
    Options
    I done this myself and I didn't took pics but I do feel my legs are stronger.. is good..
  • SkinnyRuthy
    Options
    I signed up just to say: THIS! A million times over.

Thank you for taking time to say that. Appreciated much! <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!