Rest/Recovery Days - How Do You Decide?

Options
I'm on the verge of upping my miles significantly to train for a half, and it's tempting to just run as much as I can as long as I'm not exhausted or injuring something. I want to do four running days, two cross-training days. How do you decide how much rest/recovery you need?

Replies

• knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    it may sound old but listen to your body. it's easy to find programs, whether it's running, weightlifting, or whatever sport. but the reality is that it's not completely designed for you.

with that said, i wouldn't run as long and as fast as you can, all the time at least. try the four running days with two cross-training days and see how you feel. see if you can keep it up. if not, maybe knock a day off, or cut mileage back on a day or two, or cut a cross-training day or do one or two very light but functional cross training day.

all i'm saying is that you are your coach and you make your program. you can do whatever you feel best suits you and your goals because you are the only one that knows what your limits are. there are some days where I'll go for a run or hit the gym and know i'm not there that day. if it happens 2 days in a row, time to rest..

good luck with everything.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with that. I do strength/circuits Tues, Thurs, Fri... Run Mon, Wed, Sat but end up running day after leg day and when I'm still sore from DOMS. But there is at least one day a week that I do NOTHING, (sat or sun) so I get at least one full rest day per week. If I'm especially sore or tired I will skip a run to get an extra recovery day.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Learn to listen to your body. I normally have two days off a week, but sometimes my body lets me know it's tired and I'll take one or two extra. If I'm generally dragging all day, or I'm having a hard time falling asleep, that's when I know it's time to take some extra rest.
  • sfbinca
    sfbinca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know what my rested speed is. When I start feeling my shorter runs (5k to 10k) and/or I'm significantly slower, I take a rest day. I also generally take my long runs (generally 13.1 miles) on Sunday (or Saturday depending on weather forecasts). I try to rest the day before and the day after a long run.

That's what I find works for me, by experimentation over the past couple of years (as others have stated, by listening to your body). You'll probably find what works for you in a similar way.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most advanced half marathon training plans will have your long run sandwiched by rest days. it may even give you the option to have a rest day or a cross training day after your long run.

personally, after my long run day, i like to swim. works out any kinks i might have.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Socalmom asks a great question that I'd like an expert to pipe in on too. I am in training for a cross country bicycle ride (Cali to Maine) and I ride six days out of the week. I wonder if that is too much. In the month of May, I rode 271 miles. I always try to take Sunday off (church and all) and I do get some knee pain, but not enough to deter me from riding. I ask, also, should I be taking more days off to recover, and does excessive workouts and/or high deficits (2000 - 3000 calorie deficits) affect weight loss?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Socalmom asks a great question that I'd like an expert to pipe in on too. I am in training for a cross country bicycle ride (Cali to Maine) and I ride six days out of the week. I wonder if that is too much. In the month of May, I rode 271 miles. I always try to take Sunday off (church and all) and I do get some knee pain, but not enough to deter me from riding. I ask, also, should I be taking more days off to recover, and does excessive workouts and/or high deficits (2000 - 3000 calorie deficits) affect weight loss?

a lot is to be said about the quality of the work out, and not the quantity.

that being said, you're training to ride across the country. no easy task. you need to have the endurance to do it and keep up with the pelota, if that is how you are riding.

you need to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. if you have knee pain, maybe stick in an extra rest day, or do a little cross training. i'm a big fan of swimming.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice. It seems like there's some strategy to make the best use of your energy, but it feels strange to me to actually drop my mileage to follow a plan when I ultimately want to increase my mileage. Also, a lot of runners run a lot more miles than I do. I think you're right, that it will become more obvious as I keep going when I'll need to rest.
  • Jlennhikes
    Options
    It was funny because when I finished my "long" run yesterday, I was looking forward to my off day today, but today I feel like a slug because I'm not doing anything. I have the energy to work out, but I don't want to be stupid about not resting. I only do weights twice a week, so that's not a concern as far as resting in between.
  • Jlennhikes
    Options
    Learn to listen to your body. I normally have two days off a week, but sometimes my body lets me know it's tired and I'll take one or two extra. If I'm generally dragging all day, or I'm having a hard time falling asleep, that's when I know it's time to take some extra rest.

Thanks. I'm sure you're right. I definitely don't want to injure anything because it takes forever to heal at my age.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My mood is a great indicator - if I wake up grouchy and ready to tear into someone, it's time for a rest day.
    Typically I get 3 or 4 days of exercise in, then a rest day. I alternate cycling and running, but will opt for cycling if I am not feeling 100% (I just injured my toe for example). My main goal is to improve my running though, so I've been adding time and intensity there, whilst I treat the cycling more as a change of pace / recovery.
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The body needs rest and recovery. I rest on Sundays and may take a walk or do a light workout. Just listen to your body. If you go hard 7 days a week you will do more harm than good.
  • Jlennhikes
    Options
    My mood is a great indicator - if I wake up grouchy and ready to tear into someone, it's time for a rest day.
    Typically I get 3 or 4 days of exercise in, then a rest day. I alternate cycling and running, but will opt for cycling if I am not feeling 100% (I just injured my toe for example). My main goal is to improve my running though, so I've been adding time and intensity there, whilst I treat the cycling more as a change of pace / recovery.

That's funny because when I wake up grouchy and ready to kill someone, I know I need to exercise :laugh: Sometimes I think I do it more for mental health than physical. I think as I push myself harder, I will more fully appreciate the need for rest!
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How do you decide how much rest/recovery you need?

I have been using an app called "ithlete" on an iPod touch for over 4 years now. It lets me know when I am overdoing it.