Eating calorie goal and not loosing

Options
2»

Replies

• natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just checked your diary and you are eating a lot of processed foods, dump the starbucks and the special k bars- expensive and empty calories, go for bulk and healthy. Eat some fruit for snacks, apples are great and tea would be better than the stuff at Starbucks. You could probably cut back on the salad dressing also, are measuring that amount out?

I just did a google search for something that a nutritionist said to me, "There’s an old saying that goes like this: Eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch like a prince, and eat dinner like a pauper. The idea behind this is that having the biggest meal of the day in the morning provides energy for the workday. In addition, the calories in foods eaten earlier in the day are processed more efficiently than those in foods eaten at night. The benefits of eating this way include not only more energy for work or school but also weight loss. And, interestingly, a recent research study seems to support this idea. ( http://health.yahoo.net/experts/diabetescheckup/eating-breakfast-king)
    Yes I measure every thing that goes into my mouth, I don't want to cut out coffee and treats completely. I have done that before and I lost the weight and gained it back when I tried to slowly introduce them back into my daily routine. This is a permanent lifestyle change I don't want to be deprived. I only have coffee at starbucks that's it but yes I should include more fruit.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just checked your diary and you are eating a lot of processed foods, dump the starbucks and the special k bars- expensive and empty calories, go for bulk and healthy. Eat some fruit for snacks, apples are great and tea would be better than the stuff at Starbucks. You could probably cut back on the salad dressing also, are measuring that amount out?

I just did a google search for something that a nutritionist said to me, "There’s an old saying that goes like this: Eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch like a prince, and eat dinner like a pauper. The idea behind this is that having the biggest meal of the day in the morning provides energy for the workday. In addition, the calories in foods eaten earlier in the day are processed more efficiently than those in foods eaten at night. The benefits of eating this way include not only more energy for work or school but also weight loss. And, interestingly, a recent research study seems to support this idea. ( http://health.yahoo.net/experts/diabetescheckup/eating-breakfast-king)
    Yes I measure every thing that goes into my mouth, I don't want to cut out coffee and treats completely. I have done that before and I lost the weight and gained it back when I tried to slowly introduce them back into my daily routine. This is a permanent lifestyle change I don't want to be deprived. I only have coffee at starbucks that's it but yes I should include more fruit.

I wouldn't cut out every treat and coffee. I'm munching on a piece of licorice right now. I agree that 1500 might be too low. I'm 200, 5'6 and 33. I'm eating 1560 + half my exercise calories. How did you come to 1500 calories? I also want to add, I only lost a couple pounds the first month I was at this. I find that my weight comes off twice a month, right before my period and then a week after my period. Other than those two times I bounce around within a pound or two.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like you just joined, I assume meaning you just started? Don't expect to see instant results. One pound is 3500 calories, to lose 2 pounds a week means you would eat 7000 calories less in a week from the prior week or burn that amount or a combination of both.

It's not easy, and remember you didn't gain all this weight overnight, expect the same when it comes to taking it off. I am older than you, and ii let 25 pounds sneak up on me, it took me 6 months to lose 18, then I got stuck on a plateau for what seemed like forever, then finally came off that and just have 4 to go.

At your age, you'll do better than I did because you are younger. But you have to be patient and stick to the plan.
  • natstar26
    Options
    Well it looks like you just joined, I assume meaning you just started? Don't expect to see instant results. One pound is 3500 calories, to lose 2 pounds a week means you would eat 7000 calories less in a week from the prior week or burn that amount or a combination of both.

It's not easy, and remember you didn't gain all this weight overnight, expect the same when it comes to taking it off. I am older than you, and ii let 25 pounds sneak up on me, it took me 6 months to lose 18, then I got stuck on a plateau for what seemed like forever, then finally came off that and just have 4 to go.

At your age, you'll do better than I did because you are younger. But you have to be patient and stick to the plan.
    Yes you are right it takes time, I just want to make sure from the start im doing it right.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    First question is how long have you been tracking your calories and paying attention to your intake for.

If your answer is anything less than 6 weeks you really haven't been doing it long enough to know if you are losing weight or not.
  • natstar26
    Options
    First question is how long have you been tracking your calories and paying attention to your intake for.

If your answer is anything less than 6 weeks you really haven't been doing it long enough to know if you are losing weight or not.
    its only been 2 weeks...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

its only been 2 weeks...

There is no way to evaluate your progress after only 2 weeks. Your body can easily fluctuate 5 pounds in water weight even over the course of a single day. In 2 weeks the following things could have all happened that would all result in no change in your scale weight:

1) You lost 2 pounds of fat but retained 2 pounds of water
    2) You lost 4 pounds of fat but retained 4 pounds of water
    3) You gained 2 pounds of fat but shed 2 pounds of water
    4) You neither lost or gained either fat or water

Honestly you cannot tell which one is true so you cannot tell if you have lost fat or not which I assume is your goal. You have to stick with it longer. After 6 weeks if you are say losing 1 pound of fat per week which is an achievable goal then you will finally have lost enough weight that even if you are retaining 5 extra pounds of water you will be able to see the weight loss.

You cannot expect to see noticeable or measurable changes in your body over such short timeframes. This is a long process. Progress will be measured in months, not days.