College Student Needing Motivation to lose weight

Options
Hey! I'm Madison and I just finished my freshman year of college. I've never been happy with my weight, but with everything I've been through over the past year, I really want to lose this weight. I need to lose about 90 pounds ideally, and could possibly lose more. I'd love some friends to keep me motivated and to talk with about our progress.

Replies

• iahh93
    iahh93 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey! Im in exactly the same boat :) add me and we can kick start each other's motivation :)
  • FeedTheWolf
    Options
    Hey there Madison! I'd love to be your friend. Feel free to add me! :)
  • Alliegeex
    Alliegeex Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just finished my sophomore year of college but I could definitely help you out! :)
  • madisonreneem961
    madisonreneem961 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Between being on a meal plan so being limited to the foods I can eat, and trying to find time to go to the HRC, it is difficult to stay motivated. I'm hoping that this summer of going to the gym will get me into a routine. If anyone of you have any tips I'd be glad to hear them though! :smile:
  • live2run95
    live2run95 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also just finished my freshman year of college and would love any friends who would like to receive and give support!!
  • aal254
    aal254 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation too. My school's cafeteria really doesn't have many healthy food options, so I gained a little more than just the freshman 15... XD
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    while most colleges won't have things like avocado, kale, or spaghetti squash, they can and do have plenty of healthy options. i know my school had a salad bar at lunch and dinner. and with a little creativity and spontaneity, you can make yourself some decent meals. lemon chicken being served? grab a breast, and slice it into your salad. oil and vinegar should be available. see if they have low calorie ranch or thousand island or whatever your favorite dressing is.

breakfast can also be good,if you avoid the fried stuff. is there oatmeal being served? i bet there is.

dessert was served at all the meals, if i remember correctly. try and avoid high calorie options like muffins and cupcakes, and ice cream and whatever. they're good treats, but not for every meal.

but in the end it's about how much you eat, not what you eat.
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just graduated college and I went into college the same way, but then I never changed my actions. You're one step ahead by being here!! The gym at school is daunting sometimes but just put your headphones in and get going. If you start with a light workout a few times a week, (30 minutes cardio, 15 minutes weights) you will just get into the habit of going and it'll be so much easier.

Meal plan sucks, there are so many ways to eat bad and they are right in your face all the time. Just remember it's your choice, you can find something somewhat healthy and you'll feel amazing if you do.

Add me if you want, this community is really helping motivate me and I am in the same boat!
  • madisonreneem961
    Options
    That's a good point. I probably should have used the salad bar a little more often. It just got boring. I never thought of getting something from another section though to add the the salad bar, like chicken. That's a great idea.
  • madisonreneem961
    Options
    Also, I am hoping to eventually get to the point where I can run in different 5K races. Like colors runs and stuff. A lot of my friends participate in them and I would love to join them, but I need to increase my fitness level before I can even think about it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Also, I am hoping to eventually get to the point where I can run in different 5K races. Like colors runs and stuff. A lot of my friends participate in them and I would love to join them, but I need to increase my fitness level before I can even think about it.

a girl after my own heart.

sign up for one of those races. if that is not motivation to start getting your *kitten* in gear, i don't know what is!
  • madisonreneem961
    Options
    My school does a color run every spring, so I'm hoping to be able to do that one! But I'm just getting started officially in my weight loss journey and I have a lot of work to do before then.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    it's a 5k. it's not so daunting a distance that you can't be ready by september. no, you might not have the best time, but i bet you can run the whole thing, if you work hard and put in the effort.
  • madisonreneem961
    Options
    Thanks! I never thought about signing up for a race so that I don't have an excuse not to prepare for it. I think that is a great motivation idea.
  • slimjenny21
    slimjenny21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    One thing I advise is to work working out into your daily schedule.
    I didn't really work out in high school, but college came and by now my friends know that I go work out every single day at a certain time. Just make it a habit and stick to it. College campuses don't ONLY offer bad food choices, although I know the reality of it. Try incorporating more salads and healthier choices into your daily diet. Maybe start out with just one day, not going for that pizza and a chicken sandwich and salad instead. Or reach for a fruit instead of a cookie. Small steps can go a long way, and soon enough you'll incorporate healthy eating without even realizing it!
    Another thing is, you can multitask. Bring your phone to the gym or bring notes (I love doing this), so on days that you want a lighter workout, you can actually study at the same time! You'll feel great and have had accomplished a lot! Grab your roommate or a buddy and figure it out :)
    You've got it within you!
  • Kangookathy
    Kangookathy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been there and done that ! I started to exercise and made it part of my daily routine. You will feel better and your life will be so much happier. It did take me a year and a half to take off 30 lbs. but I have kept it off. I'm now an instructor and started my own business. Make it part of your life, think about what you are putting in your mouth, eat only when you are hungry, not because you are stressed or bored. Log everything you eat, its your report card and if you cheat you are only cheating yourself. Good health comes from good eating and exercise habits. You can do it and you will if you want it bad enough. Hang with people that care about overall health and well being.
  • linlin221
    linlin221 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! I was on the exact same page as you when I finished up my freshman year of college last year. I dealt with the same problems; meal plans and dining halls, and that intimidating on-campus gym.
    Exactly one year ago to this day is when I started my fitness journey, and I never would have thought I could make it this long! I'd be more than happy help you out, support you, and hopefully be a source of inspiration for you. :)
  • madisonreneem961
    Options
    Thanks! All of you guys seem really helpful. I do know that my meal plan next year will have more healthier foods and fewer unhealthy options because I will be living in a sorority house and we can have what the chefs make us and salad bar. Then I won't have dessert options like I did this year.
  • emilydavid7
    emilydavid7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey Madison! I'm a first-year university [college] student myself so I get what you're going through. I definitely agree with what others here are saying, incorporating exercise goes a long way to keeping you on track with your goals. Our food is not always 100% under our control, but one of the most important things you can learn is how to make the best choices about what to eat when it isn't. Good luck, and please feel free to add me :)
  • madisonreneem961
    Options
    Yeah, I think getting into a good exercise routine would be great for me. I used to be in a 2 hour zumba class twice a week and I actually started losing inches rather quickly. Unfortunately I can no longer take that class but I think I would see a lot of changes if I could get myself in the mindset of exercising every day.