Restarting again for the millionth time

Options
hello! i am back again for the millionth time trying to lose weight. I have a best friends wedding in september and wanting to do disney with my 4 year old on the same trip. I would love to lose at least 20 lbs by the end of september. i definitely need support. I love my candy and work nights at a hospital. I am trying to not let that me an excuse. So please i would love to have friends to do this with as well as motivate each other.

Replies

• swimnurseteacher7
    swimnurseteacher7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am looking for support also. I am a nurse and I have worked the night shift. Thank God I am on a day shift now but my job is very sedentary. I try to get up and walk about every 2 hours. I am on the 3rd floor so I take the stairs. I remove the coins from my purse so I am not tempted to use the vending machines. It is funny that I took my 5 year old grandkids to Disney and I walked circles around those children!. They were in worse shape than me. Children don't get as much exercise as they need. Times have changed. They don't play outside a lot any more. Any way, good luck with your plan. I hope to reach one of my goals by September 2014 as well.
  • millerlm87
    millerlm87 Posts: 31
    Options
    thank you. when i am at work i try and walk the stairs as much as i can. I'm on the second floor so i have to travel upstairs and downstairs all the time. Good luck to you with your goals
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Good luck :)
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Add away, I'm a daughter and a granddaughter of a nurse - so I get it.
  • aescam21
    aescam21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Good luck ! I work overnights at my job too and I eat sometimes just to stay awake lol I am doing the whole30 diet plan. No sugar, grains, dairy, legumes for 30 days. Is it hard? Hell yeah it is but so is being overweight. I did it for a month and lost 6 lbs. But I have heard some who lose up to 15. I only have 5 more to lose because I was already close to my goal weight. Its basically a paleo eating plan you can eat any meat you want , veggies , fruits and some nuts. I don't even miss pasta anymore my hardest time was giving up sugar though. The best part is that you don't count calories ;) weight just comes off. you have to be super strict but you can do it. You control what goes into your mouth. The whole point is that after 30 days you taste buds will learn to like the healthy food better. So you will want an Apple over a sugary brownie. After 30 days you can re-introduce dairy for a few days so see how your body responds and then after a few days introudice the grains and monitor your body to see how it feels. For me I found out through all this that my body doesn't respond well to grains. Not in a horrible way but it makes me bloated so I have no problem not eating it anymore. :) If you need help message me.
  • millerlm87
    Options
    i have known some people who tried the pale diet. Ive thought about it i just don't understand it all that well. My coworkers and I have made a commitment that we are going to stop bringing in crap and if we are going to bring anything in its going to be fruits and vegetables. For awhile all we ate were candy and chips because it helped us stay awake at night. now we are trying the healthy option. I'm wondering how bad is hummus and pita chips?
  • BekkahS1552
    Options
    I've started and re-started a million times, too.... but I've never given up because who knows ~ the millionth + 1 time things just might be the ticket to long term success :smile: I've worked in the medical field on third shift as well... it's not easy, that's for sure! Take it a day at a time and hopefully this will be the last time... for both of us! :smile:
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how bad is hummus and pita chips?

Use cucumber slices instead of pita - it's delicious!!!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options

Open your food diary and look it up. If this is something you enjoy eating, make room in your daily menu to have it. I would suggest straight up pita bread rather than chips. My guess is that the pita bread will be lower in sodium and fat. It will certainly be way less expensive to buy loaves of pita bread than pita chips.

Take some time to take a good hard look at the last 999,999 times you've tried and learn from what didn't work. My guess, based on my own experience trying to lose weight, is that you set your calorie goals too low (1200 is too low!), tried to change absolutely everything you were eating to so-called Healthy Food, and set unrealistic exercise and weight loss goals for yourself.

I am also going to suggest that you be mindful that event related goals are also fraught with peril. They just are. The added stress of a self imposed deadline is generally not helpful and creates a great excuse for ditching the goal.

Eat what you enjoy, in moderation. If you don't enjoy what you eat ,you will bail. Measure and weigh everything you put in your mouth. Move more. Take the stairs. Park in the safest spot furthest from the door. Walking is basically free and something you can do for the rest of your life. Drink plenty of water and get enough sleep. Create a network of friends whose diaries you can stalk for ideas and whose stories will inspire you. But the motivation will come from inside or it won't come at all.

Read this. Twice. Minimum.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And this. All the way to the end.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

And this one. Also to the end.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately

Best of luck to you! This place is fabulous. In 90 days I have lost nearly 30 pounds and I have about another 80 to go. But I have long since surrendered to the fact this is a journey toward a transformed life, and that is a relief.
  • millerlm87
    Options
    Thankyou very much. What you said was very motivating!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    hello! i am back again for the millionth time trying to lose weight. I have a best friends wedding in september and wanting to do disney with my 4 year old on the same trip. I would love to lose at least 20 lbs by the end of september. i definitely need support. I love my candy and work nights at a hospital. I am trying to not let that me an excuse. So please i would love to have friends to do this with as well as motivate each other.
    Using extrinsic reasons to lose weight only last so long. Make the decision not for a trip, or a wedding but for life. Make it intrinsic. If it's just for occasions, the inevitably weight gain will return. Not trying to discourage you, but actually getting you to realize why you keep coming back after not succeeding.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over for the millionth time too! :) Wishing you good luck and good health!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send a friend request if you'd like.

Also, if you don't a digital kitchen scale, get one tomorrow (!) and keep it on your kitchen counter so you will use if every time you get something to eat.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    hello! i am back again for the millionth time trying to lose weight. <b>I have a best friends wedding in september and wanting to do disney with my 4 year old on the same trip. I would love to lose at least 20 lbs by the end of september. </b> i definitely need support. I love my candy and work nights at a hospital. I am trying to not let that me an excuse. So please i would love to have friends to do this with as well as motivate each other.

I'm the party pooper. With this attitude you'll be back millionth and one time.

Take a close look at what you have written. You are clearly looking for a quick fix and you are setting a deadline. This is not how it works. You want it to be fixed permanently - lifestyle change. PERIOD.

Let me know if you have more questions but sorry there is no way anyone can motivate you unless the realization is that there is no band-aid for the boo boo.
    Good Luck.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    now we are trying the healthy option. I'm wondering how bad is hummus and pita chips?

Everything is bad if you eat too much of it.
    Weigh and measure your food, stay inside your calories for the day, and what you eat won't matter as much though obviously healthy is better.
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump

Open your food diary and look it up. If this is something you enjoy eating, make room in your daily menu to have it. I would suggest straight up pita bread rather than chips. My guess is that the pita bread will be lower in sodium and fat. It will certainly be way less expensive to buy loaves of pita bread than pita chips.

Take some time to take a good hard look at the last 999,999 times you've tried and learn from what didn't work. My guess, based on my own experience trying to lose weight, is that you set your calorie goals too low (1200 is too low!), tried to change absolutely everything you were eating to so-called Healthy Food, and set unrealistic exercise and weight loss goals for yourself.

I am also going to suggest that you be mindful that event related goals are also fraught with peril. They just are. The added stress of a self imposed deadline is generally not helpful and creates a great excuse for ditching the goal.

Eat what you enjoy, in moderation. If you don't enjoy what you eat ,you will bail. Measure and weigh everything you put in your mouth. Move more. Take the stairs. Park in the safest spot furthest from the door. Walking is basically free and something you can do for the rest of your life. Drink plenty of water and get enough sleep. Create a network of friends whose diaries you can stalk for ideas and whose stories will inspire you. But the motivation will come from inside or it won't come at all.

Read this. Twice. Minimum.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And this. All the way to the end.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

And this one. Also to the end.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately

Best of luck to you! This place is fabulous. In 90 days I have lost nearly 30 pounds and I have about another 80 to go. But I have long since surrendered to the fact this is a journey toward a transformed life, and that is a relief.
  • Fit2BeFly
    Fit2BeFly Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This...

I'm the party pooper. With this attitude you'll be back millionth and one time.

Take a close look at what you have written. You are clearly looking for a quick fix and you are setting a deadline. This is not how it works. You want it to be fixed permanently - lifestyle change. PERIOD.

Let me know if you have more questions but sorry there is no way anyone can motivate you unless the realization is that there is no band-aid for the boo boo.
    Good Luck.

I lost 54 lbs for a beach vacation, only to slowly gain it back. So this time around, I am digging deeper & understanding that I am fighting for my life. It's not about looking good but being healthy. - a lifestyle change.
  • millerlm87
    Options
    I'm not looking for a quick fix. I'm setting a little goal to try and lose weight. I know it's a lifestyle change. And if I was looking for a quick fix I would have done one of those detox or liquid diet type things. Thank you for assuming that's what I'm looking for great to know there are still negative people out there. I'm doing this weight loss for me and fir my life.
  • cassika1
    cassika1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are like candy. You can even coat them in sugarfree jello mix.