why are carbs so bad

Options
303enfield
303enfield Posts: 239 Member
and what are they :angry:

Replies

• ericarenee2005
    Options
    Well there are different kinds of carbs..I'm not an expert but there are complex carbs and simple carbs. Supposedly you are supposed to stay away from the more simple carbs..I'll give you examples..

White bread, white rice, most cakes and cookies and sweets, white potatoes, noodles.... I believe sugar counts as well.

I guess its supposed to be more nutritious to eat the complex carbs..here are some examples of those.

Multi-grain bread, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, squash, sweet potatoes, multigrain noodles.

The best place over all to get carbs is from fruits and veggies, for example bananas and apples have carbs, really you can find information on anything you eat.

The main reason people believe carbs are bad is because they are usually don't keep you very satisfied or full if you are eating the wrong kinds and some don't pack much nutrition compared to their processed content. I personally don't have an issue with either version of carbs..I eat what I want within my calorie range.

It's important to get enough of everything though. Protein and complex carbs are supposed to help keep you full and more satisfied, and like I said it's always good to make yourself get in some fruits and veggies.

Like I said I'm not an expert but I hope that helped.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    They aren't bad
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad - in moderation.

They are an optimal macro nutrient for health and general fitness.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    They aren't bad
    ^^ This.

Unless you have a medical reason to restrict carbohydrate, there's no good reason to do so. Diabetics (of both Type I and Type II) get better glycemic control with carbohydrate restriction, as does anyone with insulin-resistance, whether from metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, PCOS, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, etc.

The problem is eating a caloric surplus, not carbohydrate themselves.

There are some people who, when they eat certain carbs, crave more ... they can choose to restrict them if they don't have the willpower to "just say no" ... but unless you have one of the above medical reasons to restrict carbohydrate specifically, then there's no reason to HAVE to.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad because they made me fat and pre-diabetic. Now that I restrict them to under 30g a day, I've lost 1/3 of my body weight and 1/2 the gain of the last 14 years, and I am no longer pre-diabetic and I have a normal blood lipid profile and blood pressure.

Now, tell me again that carbs are good? :p
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    High calorie while not being filling or sustaining.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    They're not. Stop reading Cosmo.
  • OmegaAlpha007
    OmegaAlpha007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad because they made me fat and pre-diabetic. Now that I restrict them to under 30g a day, I've lost 1/3 of my body weight and 1/2 the gain of the last 14 years, and I am no longer pre-diabetic and I have a normal blood lipid profile and blood pressure.

CARBS did this to you? does this include veggies and fruits? or where you shoving twinkies down your throat?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

CARBS did this to you? does this include veggies and fruits? or where you shoving twinkies down your throat?

lol
  • OmegaAlpha007
    Options
    I'm hoping this is a troll..
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Now that was NOT nice at all. Funny but not very nice lol
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs everyday but I haven't had a slice of white bread in months. You have to be choosy,
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    They're not. Stop reading Cosmo.
    ^that
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Op there is alot of misinfo on this thread. U may need to do ur own research or find some one who u know is informed for answers. FYI white bread, white rice, potates, noodles r not simple carbs. Good luck
  • OmegaAlpha007
    Options

Now that was NOT nice at all. Funny but not very nice lol

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers saying: You ain´t what you wanna be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain´t you! You´re better than that

life hits us hard,.. but instead if hitting back we decided to hit a box of twinkies... then I'd be dead by now
    its easy to point and blame other stuff... in this case and in many .. carbs are the bad guy
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    They are all long lost descendants of

dr-evil.jpg
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I was Vegan actually!
    No they didn't. And no they aren't.

Yes they did. Explain why I was in such a bad state, despite eating the magical low fat diet with plenty of fruit and veg! Yet when I dropped the carbs and started eating high fat, moderate protein, the weight dropped off (despite many years of dieting including Weight Watchers and failing dismally) and my blood work normalised.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

I was Vegan actually!
    No they didn't. And no they aren't.

Yes they did. Explain why I was in such a bad state, despite eating the magical low fat diet with plenty of fruit and veg! Yet when I dropped the carbs and started eating high fat, moderate protein, the weight dropped off (despite many years of dieting including Weight Watchers and failing dismally) and my blood work normalised.
    Magic or course.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Carbs are awesome. 800+g a day personally.