Law School made me Fat

Options

Replies

• Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    To the folks with zero sense of humour .. Lighten the **** up :-p ..... (which is, after all, why were here).
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this thread. I need to come back to see if it lives up to the hype.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    A lot of lawyers in this thread. :smile:
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Law school made me skinny. I was so depressed that I didn't eat much and spent a lot of time just wandering the city. However, I would never ever want to go back to those days because it was such a terrible period in my life. My advice to a fat law student would be to stop briefing cases, skip class, and quit law review. I started skipping class 1L year. It didn't make me happier but I think it staved off the utter despair. My 3L year I skipped almost every admin law class to go skiing instead. I was significantly more satisfied with my life. Guess what kind of law I practice now! :-D
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Are they all fat?
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Law school made me skinny. I was so depressed that I didn't eat much and spent a lot of time just wandering the city. However, I would never ever want to go back to those days because it was such a terrible period in my life. My advice to a fat law student would be to stop briefing cases, skip class, and quit law review. I started skipping class 1L year. It didn't make me happier but I think it staved off the utter despair. My 3L year I skipped almost every admin law class to go skiing instead. I was significantly more satisfied with my life. Guess what kind of law I practice now! :-D

Personal Injury ??? The skiing reference? Just a guess. :smile:
  • sloth3toes
    Options

Are they all fat?

handle-the-truth.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Are they all fat?

handle-the-truth.jpg

There's a lady I know who goes around telling everyone she used to be a lawyer. And she's lost a lot of weight. She's still fat, though.

N=1
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I started gaining weight at the beginning of law school (NYC: pizza, bagels, italian bakeries, what???) but then my school's security guard told me that he sees students come in every year and either get really big or really skinny. I choose to be the latter. And what he said was completely true, some students lost a lot of weight... some didn't. It's not easy but as pp said, it certainly doesn't get easier after you graduate. Best of luck, you can do it.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs in law school too, don't worry it's easy to drop once you are done! The key is to find a nice comfy 40 hour a week job where you can take a 90 minute lunch break to workout. Good luck! :tongue:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Those still exist?!

I get why people are saying "law school didn't make you fat" but, in all honesty, my 50+ an hr week sit-down very stressful desk job DID make me fat. The only way I'm not going to be overweight for the rest of my life, is if I work a job on my feet doing some sort of movement daily.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Law school didn't make you fat. Life choices made you fat. First step towards weight loss is personal accountability.

Law school was arguably the proximate cause. Any alleged failure to take personal responsibility just makes him an eggshell plaintiff. He should sue. On the other hand, law schools usually have good defense lawyers, and there's probably an assumption of risk. Plus, no relevant duty, major causation issues, and, really, what are the pecuniary damages?

Uh, anyway, welcome to MFP, OP!

Haha! This is great. My dad is a lawyer and I'm a scientist so jargon is amusing on various levels. . . :bigsmile:

OP, grad school stress/lack of time to myself for anything but studying/work was what got me on MFP as well! Make exercise and food tracking a habit; you're pretty much sure to succeed that way. Good luck! (and I can't believe how rude people are being. Did they ever go to grad school?? :explode: )
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Law school didn't make you fat. Life choices made you fat. First step towards weight loss is personal accountability.

Law school was arguably the proximate cause. Any alleged failure to take personal responsibility just makes him an eggshell plaintiff. He should sue. On the other hand, law schools usually have good defense lawyers, and there's probably an assumption of risk. Plus, no relevant duty, major causation issues, and, really, what are the pecuniary damages?

Uh, anyway, welcome to MFP, OP!

Haha! This is great. My dad is a lawyer and I'm a scientist so jargon is amusing on various levels. . . :bigsmile:

OP, grad school stress/lack of time to myself for anything but studying/work was what got me on MFP as well! Make exercise and food tracking a habit; you're pretty much sure to succeed that way. Good luck! (and I can't believe how rude people are being. Did they ever go to grad school?? :explode: )

No, I did not. And yet, I got fat anyway, go figure.

Trophywife status made me fat.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Law school didn't make me fat. I was the same weight when I passed the bar exam as I was when I started law school. I think I get the OP's point. I didn't have a lot of time to exercise in law school. That's true. Each night you might have about 30-60 pages worth of reading. It's not light reading. You have to understand the cases enough to explain it if your professor calls on you. Our school used a soft Socratic method, but it was still nerve wracking to be on the spot in front of your peers. I had the same weight all through law school because I walked a lot around the campus.
  • hei_ma_ma
    hei_ma_ma Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Personal Injury ??? The skiing reference? Just a guess. :smile:

Nope! I practice administrative law... it's about as boring as it sounds. Sadly I can't skip work to go skiing all too often.
  • jennastar2
    Options
    I was in an intense program and it was really hard to do anything but study. Here's to taking it off!
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This!
    I think the insulting ones are missing the point here. It's not about blaming law school or blaming yourself for what you do or don't eat. The fact of the matter is, this guy is asking for help not insults and grief about "oh you've only got yourself to blame". Lookk in the mirror and remember why we are all here.

The priority it graduating and if you can fit a healthy lifestyle into it, then even better. Oh yeah and how many have kids? That sure will throw a spanner in the works trying to juggle that. I know it's hard for me and I'm not even at law school yet haha.

Good luck to you :wink:

You only receive support here if you follow the herd and do it exactly one way. Everyone else gets attacked. Of the message boards I read regularly, this is easily the most unfriendly.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Some of these are pretty funny. But law school isn't an excuse. I was purposefully being lazy and using my free time to relax (it's easy to tell who never went to law school or have a demanding undergrad degree - sometimes you have to balance what's important - family, fun, and a lot of beer was a bit more important than working out in the VERY LITTLE BIT OF FREE TIME that you have).

But I was in shape prior to school, I just kinda let myself go that first year to adapt to the demand of school and understand what it required of me.

But for those who were "gun-ho" with the "you aren't doing your part stop making excuses", thanks, those were pretty fun to read - as someone who worked out for 5 years straight before going to school - I know all that stuff, but I've heard it in much more PROFESSIONAL ways that were actually motivating. Glad I wasn't depending on any of you to motivate me - that would have definitely made a first timer say "yea, these gym heads are not who I want to associate with".

For the rest of you that were actually helpful or understood the situation, good to see there are supporting people out there that would actually help those who may really be struggling with weight loss.

But to all of you - enjoy your exercise and dieting!
  • ccpauley
    ccpauley Posts: 70
    Options
    Some of these are pretty funny. But law school isn't an excuse. I was purposefully being lazy and using my free time to relax (it's easy to tell who never went to law school or have a demanding undergrad degree - sometimes you have to balance what's important - family, fun, and a lot of beer was a bit more important than working out in the VERY LITTLE BIT OF FREE TIME that you have).

But I was in shape prior to school, I just kinda let myself go that first year to adapt to the demand of school and understand what it required of me.

But for those who were "gun-ho" with the "you aren't doing your part stop making excuses", thanks, those were pretty fun to read - as someone who worked out for 5 years straight before going to school - I know all that stuff, but I've heard it in much more PROFESSIONAL ways that were actually motivating. Glad I wasn't depending on any of you to motivate me - that would have definitely made a first timer say "yea, these gym heads are not who I want to associate with".

For the rest of you that were actually helpful or understood the situation, good to see there are supporting people out there that would actually help those who may really be struggling with weight loss.

But to all of you - enjoy your exercise and dieting!

Hi, yes I found some of the posts funny too. I hope I was one if the less insulting/more helpful ones. Feel free to add me as a friend, sounds like you have lots of advice in there as you have been successful before.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    So I'm not huge...luckily just large thighs and stomach so I can hide my size with clothes.

But during the school year I gained maybe 10 pounds from all the sitting and reading...and a lot of the muscle I had built went soft because I was not able to keep a constant workout schedule. Now that the summer is here, I'm hoping to change that.

Lose about 10 pounds of fat while gaining 15 in muscle.

-Evin

Hey i totally understand, when your concentrating on studies its very difficult to maintain weight and not over eat and not exercise. especially when stress levels are high these times are when we are most vunerable. currently studying myself i have lost my way when the work has got tough.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    wow such a judgemental thread.