HRM/calorie counters- most accurate?

Options
I recently invested in the New Balance heart rate monitor, because I wanted to be able to more accurately judge my calorie expenditure. However, I have quickly decided it is not very accurate (For one thing, It never asked for my weight), and compared to an exercise machine's expenditure estimate, my heart rate monitor is usually double. For example, the elliptical said I had burned 350 and my hrm said over 800. This is not right! Does anyone have any experience with any very accurate monitors?

Replies

• ina1975
    ina1975 Posts: 20
    Options
    Bump...i want to hear what people have to say about this. I'm about to invest in one too.
  • pacows
    pacows Posts: 1
    Options
    You need to invest in a Bodybugg or BodyFit device, these are 90% accurate and can even tell you what quality sleep you are getting,
  • Centerstagekris
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 HRM. I love it. I did a lot of research before I got one, and from what I can tell, it is one of the best on the market and is pretty accurate. It comes with a chest strap that reads your heart rate. I've heard that ones without the chest strap aren't nearly as accurate. Good luck!!
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi

I just got a Sigma PC15 and so far a I am please with it - and it's had good reviews too. In my opinion its a good choice if you don't have lots to spend; its ECG accurate, has a chest strap and lotsa features :-)
  • JenSpinnaChick
    JenSpinnaChick Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I train with the Polar HRM, I've used this one for 3 years now and love it!!! My advice to anyone looking to train with HRM to stay away from the ones where you use your finger tips. Its very hard to be running or in my case spinning and have to place your finger tips on the watch. Always go for the HRM with a chest transmitter some say a little inconvenient but if your looking for accuracy thats the way to go. It helps you train in "your zone".
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    do you put your weight into the elliptical as you do a treadmill? If so you may want to do that and then compare the two. I know you need to put you weight into a treadmill as they are set for a 155 pound male there fore if your a 300 pound female you are not being given the correct amount of calories burned. I have a polar with chest strap very nice and accurate. I know that is a good brand my sister-into has a fitness equipment business and they only carry top of the line equipment and that's where I got mine
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    dont forget to subtract your bmi from the total
  • NatalieBrooke88
    NatalieBrooke88 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A lot of good options-thank you! I don't want to spend a fortune, so I will research all of these and see what I come up with. Did any of you buy your HRM at ****s or Sports Authority? I hate online shopping!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Beware...the BodyBug/BodyMedia does not yet incorporate HR into it's calculations, so if you're weight lifting, rowing, or doing some other kind of incumbent exercise...bike riding....I hear it is not accurate at all. I almost bought into it, but I'm waiting, now. Temperature fluctuations and built in accelerometer are fine for calculating steps...
  • JenSpinnaChick
    JenSpinnaChick Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I bought mine at Olympia Sports, I just got the base model