Is this really possible?

rebprest
rebprest Posts: 149 Member
My diary is open, could someone tell me if it is seriously possible for me to have lost nearly 8 lbs in just over a week? I'm very suspicious, thinking maybe my scale is inaccurate. I'm eating like 1900 calories a day, and even at 260 (now 252.8) lbs, I find it hard to believe my level of exercise is taking the weight off so quickly. I do maybe 1.5 hours of cardio with some basic weightlifting. I thought for sure I was going to need a biggest loser workout with kettle balls and what-have you. Or is a recently added layer of weight easier to take off? I did gain 10 lbs in about 6 months before this, hence my weight-loss journey's beginning.

I know I should just accept this as good news, but I feel like I'm getting my hopes up and I don't want them to be dashed if I find out there is some temporary explanation like it is all water-weight or something.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    What usually comes off at the beginning is water weight. Trust me, if you stick with it, the weight loss will slow down.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    If this is your first week, a large amount of it is almost certainly water weight. If you ate at a deficit, though, some of it will be fat. You'll get a better idea of how much you'll be losing in the following weeks after the initial drop which is usually steep.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Hi, If you just started as you say, then yes, it's possible to drop a large amount in the first week or two. It should get to be a smaller consistent loss over time. Also, if your weight continues to fluctuate by unreasonalbe amounts, check the battery in your scale (if you have a battery operated one, that is).

If you are staying in a calorie deficit, then you should see some loss, but don't be surprised if now and then you show a small gain. It's normal. Our bodies react to anything we do differently.
  • quigz90
    quigz90 Posts: 44 Member
    I lost 6/7lbs the first week of getting back on my diet. It slows down after that. It is usually mostly water weight that causes big losses at the start, but you are going in the right direction. Well done, keep it up
  • rebprest
    Thanks guys! So should I assume it is real (fat) weight I'm losing this week, or could it still just be water-weight?
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Thanks guys! So should I assume it is real (fat) weight I'm losing this week, or could it still just be water-weight?

I'd assume it's water weight for now. If the loss stays consistent you'll know that it wasn't, but it'd be unusual if you didn't lose about that much water weight initially.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Probably a mix of the two. Water and some fat loss. But whatever it is, it's good.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member

There could still be a little water weight left to come off. Make sure you're getting enough protein and incorporating some kind of resistance program so you can preserve as much lean body mass as possible. You want the weight that does come off going forward to be fat and not muscle.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    It is mostly water. When you start eating at a deficit, you deplete your glycogen stores, along with the associated water. There may be some fat loss.

But depending on your starting weight, you should only be targeting about 0.5 to 2 pounds per week loss in general. And weight loss isn't linear.
  • rebprest
    So do you not stop losing water weight at some point? Is it always some water and some fat and (unfortunately) some muscle? Sorry, still just a little bit confused. Is there a point at which I can feel confident that I am done losing water weight? I'm drinking 100 oz a day...
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    It'll vary ....

Eat plenty of protein to reduce the loss of lean muscle.

There will be days that you eat higher sodium content and maybe don't drink enough water. You'll seemingly GAIN 2-5lbs overnight of water in this instance....and spend the next few days losing the water again.

Don't weigh yourself daily otherwise you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Keep eating at a deficit and drink plenty of water ...... it'll come of gradually enough ......

and YES .... you need to DRINK WATER to LOSE water weight ;-)
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Sounds like you are making a lot of healthy choices! You may find that taking measurements will help track your progress. You still wouldn't be able to tell exactly how much fat/water weight/muscle you're losing, but I think it's helpful.
  • lindasusan57
    lindasusan57 Posts: 2 Member
    It doesn't matter weight is weight so long as you continue drinking lots of water Congratulations to you! The exercise is key to success.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Some of that weight will be water weight that you've lost, but just keep at it :-) congratulations on your loss! :-)
  • Keep it up:-) As long as you are sticking to your cal each day and working out it will keep coming off...
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    I second the taking measurements; take pictures too; i've been taking pictures every few weeks (month, maybe) and that confirms that I am losing weight. You might not see it like you want on the scale, but you'll definitely feel it in the way your clothes fit.

Congrats and good luck!
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    So do you not stop losing water weight at some point? Is it always some water and some fat and (unfortunately) some muscle? Sorry, still just a little bit confused. Is there a point at which I can feel confident that I am done losing water weight? I'm drinking 100 oz a day...

Honestly - don't concern yourself. Eating a smart deficit, you're going to lose fat...and yeah, a little bit of muscle. Given your loss goal (95 lbs according to your ticker) ignore WHAT you're losing, and just focus on eating right, exercise, and that 100 oz of water your drinking. Pay attention to the weeks not the days. In 4 weeks when your pants fit better, you feel better, and you SEE a difference do you really care if it's water or fat? If you're doing the right things you'll have the right results.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You tend to lose a lot of water at first. Additionally, your consumption is less and thus the amount of waste in your system is less. It will level off in the coming weeks. Ultimately you just have to track the overall trend of things...you're going to make yourself crazy trying to figure out what is water, what is fat, what is muscle, etc....
  • rebprest

Honestly - don't concern yourself. Eating a smart deficit, you're going to lose fat...and yeah, a little bit of muscle. Given your loss goal (95 lbs according to your ticker) ignore WHAT you're losing, and just focus on eating right, exercise, and that 100 oz of water your drinking. Pay attention to the weeks not the days. In 4 weeks when your pants fit better, you feel better, and you SEE a difference do you really care if it's water or fat? If you're doing the right things you'll have the right results.

Lol, thanks. You're right, I'm probably over-thinking it. I will take your advice :), thanks to everyone who responded!
  • Alastair007
    Alastair007 Posts: 673 Member
    Your food diary looks good. Lots of protein early on and calorie tapering towards the end of the day. Your loosing weight so continue. Everyone looses weight differently but in general you loose water weight first. (remember to drink and log lots of water, it will help you loose weight). A one percent weight loss for someone 200 pounds is 2 pounds. A one percent weight loss for someone 100 pounds is only one pound.
    In the beginning weight can come off rather easily especially if you have not been eating correctly or exercising for some time. It doesn't take too long before weight loss slows down and it becomes more and more difficult to shed the pounds. So enjoy loosing weight now. Get used to logging and communicating now, because later when it becomes more difficult to loose weight you will be grateful for the advice and friendship. Good luck