Is it good to weift lifting before breakfast?

Options
Hi,

The FIFA world cup is coming and may have to work out in the morning before breakfast so that I can watch games in the evening ;). I know cardio session in the morning before breakfast is very good for fat burning. But what about weight lifting and strength exercise? Can I build muscle in a fasted state?

Thanks,
Jamal

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Can be done. Ensure to carb up before going to bed.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yes you can build muscle in a fasted state. Eat after the workout, quick digesting carbs, and protien.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi,

The FIFA world cup is coming and may have to work out in the morning before breakfast so that I can watch games in the evening ;). I know cardio session in the morning before breakfast is very good for fat burning. But what about weight lifting and strength exercise? Can I build muscle in a fasted state?

Thanks,
    Jamal

Like Kr1ptonite said, you are fine.....and I recommend the same food post workout.

I personally don't eat til after my workout, so that is around 1pm....
    And I finish eating around 8pm...
    Workout at 1130 am
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    One train of thought says it is very good to weight train in the morning, especially for men, as your testosterone levels are at their highest (Hence the typical Male's "Morning Glory", if you catch my drift).

M advice would be to have a Black Coffee, and maybe a Banana, then go training and have b/fast when you get back, along with a protien shake to help repair.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I personally can't.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I lift fasted most days as I eat between 12-8pm - my workout is usually at 10am Mon to Fri
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I personally work out fasted always cos otherwise I have less energy. Some people might find it opposite and have less energy if they don't ate. Anyhow, it's not like it gonna prevent you from gaining muscle or make you lose any. Just get your calories sometime after workout and you will be fine. It's just an energy thing.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Weight (weift) lifting is most beneficial in the evening but as long as you fuel before and after lifting, morning weight lifting will not hurt for this short period of time.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    One train of thought says it is very good to weight train in the morning, especially for men, as your testosterone levels are at their highest (Hence the typical Male's "Morning Glory", if you catch my drift).

M advice would be to have a Black Coffee, and maybe a Banana, then go training and have b/fast when you get back, along with a protien shake to help repair.

Actually, testerone levels rise better as a result of evening workouts although they are normally higher in the morning when you wake up, weight lifting benefits testerone more in the evening. I don't know where you are getting your info from but if you would review CDC or other medical sites you will see they differ from what you are stating.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Weight (weift) lifting is most beneficial in the evening

Says who?

When I lift, it's predominantly in the mornings before breakfast, with nothing more than a cup of coffee in my tummy.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    I always lift fasted early in the morning with a strong black coffee!
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If training fasted you should at least try to get some protein inside you. Some people go for BCAAs, personally I don't see why they don't just have a whey shake.

Read this for the reason why you should intake some protein before weight training:
    (Skip to the discussion section)

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should work out when you have the time.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Workout at 1130 am

I am in awe of your eating schedule!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options

Workout at 1130 am

Look for Intermittent fasting
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lift at 4:30 am everyday because it's the only time my schedule really permits a good workout session when I don't have to absolutely rush through everything.

It's an epic start to my work day, too. I feel more at peace after I workout & it just eases me into the day.

I typically have preworkout & maybe a small bite (like half a Larabar/pb) because I HATE working out hungry. Some mornings I don't need anything though, because I typically always have a really hefty snack right before bed. I always have something quick (a shake/smoothie) immediately after because then I'm actually legitimately hungry.

So yea, you can lift before breakfast!
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Says who? Most recent research says it has an affect. For optimal growth/recovery there should be some form of nutrition before and if not before then it's even more important to have it soon after. Not essential but for optimum results, and who wouldn't want optimal results?!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Says who? Most recent research says it has an affect. For optimal growth/recovery there should be some form of nutrition before and if not before then it's even more important to have it soon after. Not essential but for optimum results, and who wouldn't want optimal results?!
    99% of people don't actually need optimum results - they just need to eat, train and rest properly when it suits them and where it fits into their daily life. There's too much stress about trying to hit the last couple of percent when most people just need to make sure they get the basics right. Don't sweat the small stuff.

If you are planning on being an elite athlete then that's different and every percentage point matters.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Workout at 1130 am

Yep, just Intermittent Fasting, LeanGains protocol