How much of a calorie deficit do you think I should do?

Options
I am currently doing strength training 3 days a week, as well as brisk walks on the alternating days. I am pretty much sedentary all day besides the workouts. Here's a picture of me currently.

current_picture.jpg

I'm guessing I'm around 22-23% body fat. How much of a deficit do you think I should do? I'd been doing 1,500 from March 18th to May 18th, then brought it down to 1,300 until now. I've been advised a few times that that's too low.

How many lbs do you guys think I should be trying to lose a week at this point? Whatever I decide on, I'm going to stick to it for a month, keep looking at myself in the mirror and checking the scale (which I won't give TOO much credit too, as I'm building muscle), and tweak accordingly.

Thanks for any feedback.

*UPDATE*

My weight goal in my profile is not really my goal. I want to hit 10% body fat, and I have no idea what my weight would be then :(

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I think you should set-up your MFP profile and allow the system to calculate your deficient or use TDEE:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You aren't building muscle on a deficient. If your goal is to build muscle then you need to eat at a surplus and lift heavy. Check out some of the weight lifting groups on this site for support.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    with only 18 lbs to go, id go with 500 cal deficit per day, thatll probably put you around 2000/day. if you want an exact number we'll need your height, weight and age though
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to up your calories and start to build some muscle!

If you're taking the strength training seriously then I'm guessing you've upped your protein..(?) Thing is if you're eating low calories and you are having 30% protein, then your deficit is going to make your body use the protein (intended for the muscle growing) for energy so you'll be sort of breaking even (if that makes sense?!)

There are lots of people on here who know wayyyy more than that but I just think it's time :-D
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    with only 18 lbs to go, id go with 500 cal deficit per day, thatll probably put you around 2000/day. if you want an exact number we'll need your height, weight and age though

I'm sorry guys, I edited my post. I SHOULD have asked "How many lbs should I try to lose a week?"

I already know how to figure out how many calories I'd need to cut to do so :)
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think it's time to up your calories and start to build some muscle!

If you're taking the strength training seriously then I'm guessing you've upped your protein..(?) Thing is if you're eating low calories and you are having 30% protein, then your deficit is going to make your body use the protein (intended for the muscle growing) for energy so you'll be sort of breaking even (if that makes sense?!)

There are lots of people on here who know wayyyy more than that but I just think it's time :-D

Well, I would like to get my body fat % lower. I'm OK with my muscle gains breaking even for now. My strength training is mainly to MAINTAIN my muscle at this point. Although at my last few month's deficit I'm still seeing gains, which I hear is normal at first. I understand I'll hit a plateau, and won't see more gains until I eat at a surplus/bulk.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options

I'm sorry guys, I edited my post. I SHOULD have asked "How many lbs should I try to lose a week?"

I already know how to figure out how many calories I'd need to cut to do so :)

Try to aim for .5%-1% of bodyweight loss per week.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    1/2 lb.