No significant weight loss yet

Options
Hello all,
I am looking for a little advice...
I have been tracking and exercising almost on a daily basis since March. (All last spring and summer as well). I eat very healthy, focus on real food rather than processed. I work out at high intensity 3-4 times a week. I drink water all day long. I don't measure myself other than the scale. I do, however, know my body has changed-it is more toned. My clothes fit a little more comfortably but in the same size. My scale is not changing. I have been fluctuating between 165-168 since I re-started my tracking in March. This has been a very frustrating journey with me since last spring. People keep telling me to keep at it, I'm just gaining muscle, the weight will come off. I AM keeping at it- I would never stop eating healthy and exercising because I do feel amazing. But I do have weight loss goals and they are not being met. Yes, I am gaining muscle but I have weight to lose. I am in great physical shape but need to see the scale move....

I have my diet log public-so anyone's welcome to take a look.

Replies

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Diary is not public.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Your eating more calories than your body is burning, no other answer.
  • KathrynPearl
    KathrynPearl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OK now it's public.
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you are in great physical shape then why does the number on a scale matter that much? Seems like you are making physical progress/changes, but you let a number on a scale determine everything.

Throw the scale away.
  • shilpaca
    shilpaca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ki Kathryn,

Looking through ur food diary it seems that you are eating back ur exercise calories.
    you need to create a deficiet to lose weight.
    I would try and stick to eating back 10% of the exercise cals and not more. It is a simple equation- to loose 1lb/wk u need to create a deficiet of 3500 cals/wk.
  • KathrynPearl
    Options
    Yes I'm making progress with my fitness-but I still have fat to lose. Maybe I should just start taking measurements.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ki Kathryn,

Looking through ur food diary it seems that you are eating back ur exercise calories.
    you need to create a deficiet to lose weight.
    I would try and stick to eating back 10% of the exercise cals and not more. It is a simple equation- to loose 1lb/wk u need to create a deficiet of 3500 cals/wk.

If you follow MFP guidelines you SHOULD eat exercise cals back as there is already a deficit worked into the calorie goal.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of foods being measured by cups or counted out by the piece. I would recommend getting a food scale and weigh all solids. Being just a little off on several items a day can really add up.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of foods being measured by cups or counted out by the piece. I would recommend getting a food scale and weigh all solids. Being just a little off on several items a day can really add up.

Agreed, I was just going to say the same thing. Weigh EVERYTHING
  • KathrynPearl
    Options
    I've looked into "eating my exercise calories back"...and everywhere I have read states you must eat them back-still sticking to a NET of 1200cals.
    The food scale is a great idea and will get one, thank you.
  • Candice153
    Candice153 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications? Or do you have any health concerns? I know a lot of people will fight me on this and it has been proven "untrue" But I have a waaay harder time loosing and keeping my weight since I started on birth control last year. There are also thyroid issues and a slew of other health issues and medications that can cause weight gain/water retention. I haven't looked at your diary, but if you haven't been, I would also try paying attention to your sodium intake, fat, sugar, carbs etc... and make sure you have that balance. I know you said you already eat healthy, so that may not be a problem for you, but sometimes tweeking it to go by what your body does best on can help as well.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's true that you should eat back your exercise calories. However, some of the calculations in MFP's exercise database are a bit overestimated. So you could try eating back more like 1/2 to 3/4 of them instead to see if that helps.

And yes, using a food scale may also help. I was kind of against doing that for a while (seemed a little "diety") but I finally bought one and it has made a difference. It was one thing when I guesstimated in the begining but now that I'm down to that last 15/20 pounds, being over a couple hundred calories from guessing basically negates the deficit I need to lose so it matters. And there were a few things I was definitely underestimating.

Good luck!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I read something on the maintaining forum a few weeks ago that really hit home. That there is really only a few hundred calories difference between maintaining weight and losing weight.

think about that. You most likely are eating at maintenance right now. Just drop your calories by a few hundred and I bet you'll start losing.
  • JazzAllen
    JazzAllen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications? Or do you have any health concerns? I know a lot of people will fight me on this and it has been proven "untrue" But I have a waaay harder time loosing and keeping my weight since I started on birth control last year. There are also thyroid issues and a slew of other health issues and medications that can cause weight gain/water retention. I haven't looked at your diary, but if you haven't been, I would also try paying attention to your sodium intake, fat, sugar, carbs etc... and make sure you have that balance. I know you said you already eat healthy, so that may not be a problem for you, but sometimes tweeking it to go by what your body does best on can help as well.

^^ I second this. If the other suggestions given don't work, I highly recommend checking in with a physician - one who will listen and take some time to evaluate whether hormones, medications or other health concerns play a role. I've lost 55 lbs since November 2013 WITHOUT CHANGING ANY HABITS - it was a matter of addressing hormonal / metabolic issues. One problem caused by a hormonal disorder caused insulin resistence. Working on getting my hormones back in balance was what made the difference for me. Now, this isn't always the case. And you will see a variety of opinions on whether to use medication or address hormones / metabolism "naturally." That is going to be something you consider carefully and decide what's best for you.
    Best of luck to you! I hope you continue the great effort you're making - you WILL reach that goal! :)
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I am looking for a little advice...
    I have been tracking and exercising almost on a daily basis since March. (All last spring and summer as well). I eat very healthy, focus on real food rather than processed. I work out at high intensity 3-4 times a week. I drink water all day long. I don't measure myself other than the scale. I do, however, know my body has changed-it is more toned. My clothes fit a little more comfortably but in the same size. My scale is not changing. I have been fluctuating between 165-168 since I re-started my tracking in March. This has been a very frustrating journey with me since last spring. People keep telling me to keep at it, I'm just gaining muscle, the weight will come off. I AM keeping at it- I would never stop eating healthy and exercising because I do feel amazing. But I do have weight loss goals and they are not being met. Yes, I am gaining muscle but I have weight to lose. I am in great physical shape but need to see the scale move....

I have my diet log public-so anyone's welcome to take a look.

Do you know what your TDEE is?
    Are you eating below that??
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat or drink??
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat?
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You say your gaining muscle. Muscle gain only happens when there is caloric surplus.
    If you were actually eating less than your maintenance (in a deficit) then you will lose weight

One answer. You are eating more than you should. More than your maintenance.

You claim you are eating healthy, that's great.
    Remember, weight loss is still all math, Calories in Vs Calories Out.
  • KathrynPearl
    Options

I have no health problems-I did recently have bloodwork and all is within normal. I am on no medications.
  • JudyFelsot
    Options
    I have to agree because I was doing the same thing. I start with a calorie goal to loose 2 lbs a week and when I exercise the plan changes and gives me a higher calorie intake a day. This tricks you to think you earned to eat more calories. Same thing with weight watchers. Your given so many points then an extra weekly 40 points so you use them and don't see the results . Stick with it just keep the original calorie goals. I need to practice what I preach. Hope we both start to see some weight loss. Good Luck!

:
  • KathrynPearl
    Options
    Thank you all. These are great tips. I know coming on here I'd get the reality check I needed! I will try my best to not eat all the exercise calories back, get a scale, and just keep at it.