p90x yoga substitute

Options
Hey I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good yoga workout I could sub in for the p90x one. It's a good workout and makes me sweat but it's sooo repetitive! I mean really one more runner's pose and I'll scream! I actually really like yoga and I'm pretty flexible but my bf who's doing it with me is not. We need something that will work us hard like the p90 video and increase flexibility. I really cannot watch that same video every week. I feel like I might throw something at Tony/the tv.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    swap out any stretching or yoga video. I use to skip it and do extra cardio.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    LOL - Tony specifically made Fountain of Youth Yoga which is in volume 1 of the One on One DVDs for people who complain about Yoga X. It's only about 20 minutes of actual vinyasas, some stretching, and ab work. The whole thing is 48 minutes. I highly recommend that one - we subbed it many times when we were running short on time and it was yoga day (can't always fit in 92 minutes with 3 kids and jobs). Hope that helps!
  • ammo126
    Options
    I know what you mean!!! I have been substituting a workout on Netflix called "Crunch: Super SlimDown" you can watch it instantly and it's a good workout. I broke a sweat and after three weeks of P90X this yoga workout made me feel like i had used muscles i hadn't used in a while.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I used Rodney Yee Power Yoga Total Body & also suggest his Yoga Conditioning For Athletes. Tony also has a shorter yoga available from Vol 1 (I think...maybe it's Vol 2) of his One on One series.

edit to add that 'Fountain of Youth' is the dvd I was trying to think of
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Lol...love this!

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I can't do the Yoga X right now, I have arthritis in my wrists....and those moves are far too many! I tried hanging in there thinking, SURELY it has to be changing up soon. Or not.

I'm going to have swap it out too. I usually add more cardio like running on my treadmill, but I know others will switch it with the Stretching disk instead. I'm curious to see what other suggestions you'll get. Good luck finding what'll work for you! :)
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    LOL - Tony specifically made Fountain of Youth Yoga which is in volume 1 of the One on One DVDs for people who complain about Yoga X. It's only about 20 minutes of actual vinyasas, some stretching, and ab work. The whole thing is 48 minutes.

This is great info! I don't mind YogaX, but really struggle with the time commitment. I don't want to just skip yoga entirely during P90X as I do enjoy it, but never knew there was an alternative.
  • cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    LOL - Tony specifically made Fountain of Youth Yoga which is in volume 1 of the One on One DVDs for people who complain about Yoga X. It's only about 20 minutes of actual vinyasas, some stretching, and ab work. The whole thing is 48 minutes. I highly recommend that one - we subbed it many times when we were running short on time and it was yoga day (can't always fit in 92 minutes with 3 kids and jobs). Hope that helps!
    I did this also...
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just ranted about p90x yoga on my wall yesterday after trying it for the first time. I was appalled- good workout- but he is a horrible instructor. I've been doing yoga for a few years now and I couldn't believe he made a yoga dvd without giving decent insructions- not good for newbies at all. I had to frequently correct my brother and his friend who were doing it with me. High risk of injury when yoga is done poorly and without proper guidance! The poses are great- just teach people how to do them well. A few little instructions can go a long way. For example, when done properly plow pose should not cause neck strain! I looked over to see my friend just throw his legs behind his head with a lot of momentum and he cried "ow" as his neck strained. If he had been told otherwise.... I don't know. Maybe I am just a yoga snob :)

ANYWAY :) try Seane Corne's vinyasa workout from the San Francisco Yoga Journal Conference series of vinyasa workouts. Baron Baptise also has a great workout also from that same series. http://www.yogajournal.com/shop/live_yoga_dvds/14 the 3 pack is costly but I got mine for a lot cheaper from someone on Amazon (used).

Good luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just ranted about p90x yoga on my wall yesterday after trying it for the first time. I was appalled- good workout- but he is a horrible instructor. I've been doing yoga for a few years now and I couldn't believe he made a yoga dvd without giving decent insructions- not good for newbies at all. I

Thank you! I've never done Yoga in my life and have re-read the manual that came with the book numerous times to make certain I was doing it right. I totally agree that it seemed like such lack of instructions for a Newbie at Yoga. I've gotten through it and actually enjoy it but do wish the instruction level was higher. But after three or four weeks of it, I've been thankful it wasn't full of instructions if that makes sense. I don't believe that P90X was created for Newbies. There is a P90 program which I understand was created first. The instructions are there, but in the manuals to read first.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    The biggest loser DVD series also has "weight loss yoga" I havn't done it, but i've seen it in the stores.
  • agodsey
    Options
    I just started P90X for the second time because I gave up after a month. Im starting over hoping to be able to stick it out. My sister told me about myfitnesspal and I love being able to track my food intake but for those of us doing P90X, how do we track our daily excerise? I tried to search for it but it did not recognize it and I'm unsure on how to log that daily.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally like the P90X yoga. Maybe I am weird or a glutton for punishment, but the repetition of so many moves seemed to help me master them faster and be more flexible and strong in the long run.

But I have other yoga workouts that I also like. I like the one that Jillian Michaels put out. It's also a lot shorter than Yoga X.
  • claire0928
    claire0928 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I will definitely be looking for some of these videos. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this!
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for starting this pose! I loathe Yoga X with a passion and I'm supposed to do it tonight. I have Netflix and looked up the Crunch: Super Slim Down. Might do that or just do the first 45 mins of Yoga X instead. LOVE all of Tony's stuff but he really screwed up with the Yoga DVD...I think it is the one most people bash on. StretchX is ok but I don't feel like I would get the same burn unless I added Cardio too.