Gaining on 1400 calories?!?!

Options
So I've been dieting for a month now, eating 1400 calories and playing basketball for 1hr at least 3 times/week. I did have the occasional slip-up of calories (I would go over by 100-300) but not THAT often. Anyways, I started in May at 183lbs and after my weigh in today, I weigh 188lbs. Is there an easy explanation to this? I've also cut out sugary drinks and coffee. Anyone know what's up?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes you are eating more than you think...and/or over estimating your exercise calories.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You either have a medical condition that is interfering with your weight loss or eating more than you think. Here is a great guide to use:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food on a scale? You may be eating more than you think. Also, the number on the scale could be fluctuating based on a lot of factors such as water retention or when you weigh yourself. Don't always trust the scale when you first start off because your body is trying to get used to your new routine so it will fluctuate. Cutting out sugary drinks is a good start, but also try to stick within the calorie range allotted for you, and you can really only do that by weighing everything. I didn't start losing until I weighed all of my foods, fruits included. Just give yourself some time too, you said you started in May, it's just now June. Healthy weight loss comes off slowly
  • wwkings
    wwkings Posts: 9
    Options
    Ok, so I just have to make sure I log EVERYTHING and not underestimate it. Also, is there a better way to know calories burned from exercise? It says I burn 379 calories per full 60 minutes of shoot around. Is that accurate or high?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Eat back half of your exercise calories or buy a heart rate monitor to give you a more accurate calorie count.
  • wwkings
    Options
    Another thing that I hadn't thought of yet: sodium intake. Maybe I'm retaining water because of how much sodium I take in? because I look the same in the mirror, and my arms look more toned than in May. I'm gonna watch my sodium this week and see what happens. @Branstin, I normally eat about half of them back, and will get a monitor when I get a galaxy s5. Ok guys I guess case is closed? I'm new to this whole forum thingy and don't quite know how to end this sooooo.... Bye, I guess.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    1400 calories is ridiculously low for a 19 yo male. Even if your exercise calories are overestimated, they are not so high that they should be causing you to stall or gain weight at that calorie intake.
    Sodium is not making you gain 5lbs, at least not gaining and keeping that weight.

Will you open your diary?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you consume????
  • wwkings
    Options
    My diary is open! it just shows my breakfast. I don't have a food scale.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    My diary is open! it just shows my breakfast. I don't have a food scale.

Diary is not open.

Have you been logging this whole month?

I would also suggest investing in a scale, you can get them pretty cheaply.
  • wwkings
    Options
    ok i'll get a food scale but my diary is clearly open right here. how would you even know?
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    ok i'll get a food scale but my diary is clearly open right here. how would you even know?

Make sure it's a digital one with the ability to weigh solids in grams and liquids in ounces.
  • wwkings
    Options
    Last week for Friday, Saturday, and sunday there is nothing there because i tried using noom coach.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When these guys say your diary is not open, they mean its not set up for public viewing... Most posters can help you more effectively if they can view what you have logged... Thats how they helped me to begin on my journey xxx

Hope this helps

xxx
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Becasue when I click on your profile I see the add as a friend button and send message button. If your diary was open to the public there would be a view diary button which there still is not.

My Home > Settings > Diary Settings > at the bottom of th epage is the option to make public.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are you a girl or a guy? Age height etc. cos if you're a guy you're eating WAY too low!
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options

go into settings and put dairy setting to public. This way everybody can see your diary and help you.
  • projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    Ok, so I just have to make sure I log EVERYTHING and not underestimate it. Also, is there a better way to know calories burned from exercise? It says I burn 379 calories per full 60 minutes of shoot around. Is that accurate or high?

This is way over estimated. It might be half of that amount, but I wouldn't bother logging this at all. You shouldn't be trying to eat back your exercise calories. Assuming you're eating back 400 calories 3 times a week (at minimum), this could throw off your numbers greatly.

You shouldn't be gaining weight. I assume you're measuring wrong, or not measuring everything. Measure everything in grams, not cups, teaspoons, etc....