Buying a stationary bike? do you use one?

Options
Hello, I'm thinking of purchasing a stationary bike for my home as my partner and i are hoping to lose some weight, i understand we'll need to do some toning for the upper body as well as the bike but in your experience how have you found the stationary bike?

We have young children so we are most likely going to be using the bike in the evenings when they're in bed.

Have you lost weight/toned up lower body using this method?

Thanks.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i used to use a stationary bike, IMO they are pretty good, especially since you can park it infront of the tv which makes the time go by pretty fast.

remember that diet is more important than exercise when it comes to fat loss though.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    i used to use a stationary bike, IMO they are pretty good, especially since you can park it infront of the tv which makes the time go by pretty fast.

remember that diet is more important than exercise when it comes to fat loss though.

Beat me to it. I was going to say clear a spot in the living room and make a rule that someone has to be riding if the TV is on.

Not at a super hard pace, but a nice and steady one like a leisurely ride outside.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I have a Spin Bike which is much better than your average Stationary Bike IMO because you can ride out of the saddle. I use mine a lot in the winter months, but when it's warm I'd much rather be outside on my bike.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the money would be better spent getting a gym membership for you and your partner and alternating who stays at home with the children for an hour while the other goes to the gym. I don't like at home cardio machines because they can be expensive and they won't be properly maintained like the equipment at a good gym. Also you have access to a wider variety of equipment at a gym including free weights.
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have used three different bikes that display calories burned and all three gave me different numbers, WAY different numbers! So if you plan to eat back, be careful or use a HRM... But I have lost 30 pounds over the past few months (started in January) by riding an hour a night five nights a week after my daughter goes to bed. I have also been eating far better!
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    No stationery bike, as of April 1st, we are back to cycling to work, 40 minutes twice a day.
  • utterbubble
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's, i think i'll look into different bikes, I'm not planning on eating back any exercise calories so i'm not to fussed about the display. I used to love bike riding but it's just hard to get out with the kids especially when my partners working extra hours, also we used to be member's of a gym and we both disliked the state of the equipment and the staff that worked there, Every 5 minutes they were asking us for this and that, to recommend friends constantly, it was a horrible place to go.
  • utterbubble
    Options
    Also I'm a stay at home mom, so i can't use to and from work time to exercise, i literally have children with me for 13 hours a day, we do go for walks during the day though.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I bought one years ago when I was on the weight loss part. I pretty much hated it. I mean, at first it was great but before long I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Takes up space and lost the motivation to use it. I still lost the weight though ;)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Better option: Buy a road bike. Buy a trainer.

Then you've got an indoor bike (superior to any exercise bike) that you can take outdoors when you feel you want to.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Better option: Buy a road bike. Buy a trainer.

Then you've got an indoor bike (superior to any exercise bike) that you can take outdoors when you feel you want to.

This!!

I love my trainer during the winter months. Then, when the weather is nice, I ride outside. This way you could also ride with the kids when they are old enough. If you already have a bike, and it is not a road bike, you can get a second wheel with a smooth tire on it and just swap it out for the nubby tire depending on weather you are riding in or outdoors.
  • utterbubble
    Options
    How did you do it when you got rid of the bike?
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Is that to me? If so, I sold it on ebay :)
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.............buy a real bike that you can actually ride! You'll actually get enjoyment and pleasure out of it.
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    We used to have a mid range one, and in using it everyday for 4 months some years ago, I must have lost at least a stone and a half. I've got a cheap one in my bedroom now, but doesn't do much for me because the tension is non existent - I prefer my elliptical.
  • utterbubble
    Options
    I mean what exercise did you then start doing after you sold it lol, sorry i wasn't clear.