special k shakes and other shakes

Options
How good are these shakes when your dieting or trying to lose weigh I have never tried them but I keep hearing how good they are for you when you are trying to lose weigh

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    shakes and whatnot are just a simple way to keep under your calorie goal since they take some of the guesswork out of the equation, as well as usually providing a pretty good source of vitamins and other nutrients.

learning good eating habits and exercise is a more sustainable approach
  • lasondraperrygraham1
    Options
    shakes and whatnot are just a simple way to keep under your calorie goal since they take some of the guesswork out of the equation, as well as usually providing a pretty good source of vitamins and other nutrients.

learning good eating habits and exercise is a more sustainable approach

Thanks that's what I kind of figured I already exercise 5-7 times a week just was trying to see what was up with the shakes
  • bikinilinds
    bikinilinds Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the Special K meal shakes, but I do drink the Slim-Fast meal shakes. I have already lost 15lbs in 32 days. They work great, they taste great and they're easy and convenient. I am loving my results so far.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I used to drink the coffeehouse ones with breakfast. I think a diet aid, they suck. If you replace meals with liquids, when you start eating solid food, you'll gain the weight back. If you want to drink them in addition to your meals, because you are low on protein or you want them as a snack, it's fine. But, drinking them with the "it will help me lose weight!" mindset is a bad idea, in my opinion.
  • lasondraperrygraham1
    Options
    I've never tried the Special K meal shakes, but I do drink the Slim-Fast meal shakes. I have already lost 15lbs in 32 days. They work great, they taste great and they're easy and convenient. I am loving my results so far.

Thanks!
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I drink them sometimes and I love them. I drink the equate weight loss shakes (walmart brand). I'd rather drink that on my way out the door with the kids than to risk being tempted by fast food places. Sometimes I use one as a late night snack as well.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Why not eat real food in moderation?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    How good are these shakes when your dieting or trying to lose weigh I have never tried them but I keep hearing how good they are for you when you are trying to lose weigh

I drink one sometimes because it's sweet and chocolately and gives me an extra hit of protein. I wouldn't recommend using them as a meal replacement, they're not filling at all.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I drink them on the way to Zumba or Cardio class in the morning because I need something in my stomach but don't feel like eating that early.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to drink the coffeehouse ones with breakfast. I think a diet aid, they suck. If you replace meals with liquids, when you start eating solid food, you'll gain the weight back. If you want to drink them in addition to your meals, because you are low on protein or you want them as a snack, it's fine. But, drinking them with the "it will help me lose weight!" mindset is a bad idea, in my opinion.

I agree with this. I would drink the Special K shakes as a snack when I would get hungry a while back. Sometimes if I was running late I would drink one for breakfast to hold me over until I was actually able to get something else to eat.
  • 0Amra
    0Amra Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm not on an Atkin's diet, but I usually drink the Atkin's shakes most mornings for breakfast. I've tried several brands of shakes and the Atkin's kind seem to keep me feeling full longer. I'm usually very busy in the mornings so I like things I can grab and go.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Well I don't have the slim fast or those pre-made types. I do make Whey Protein shakes. I can add things in and have a lot of good nutrition and flavors and I can add a lot of ice and make them thick like a milkshake so it feels like you are having a treat! I can have them on my way when short of time or need to be out the door early morning... I don't have them all the time, but typically two days a week.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Why not eat real food in moderation?

Because some people just like to drink their meals!

Personally, if I'm going with a liquid diet I prefer fruit juices like pineapple or orange juice. With rum.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot of these shakes are pretty high in sugar. The special k protein shakes are 180-200 calories per shake with around 18 g of sugar. I eat a KIND dark chocolate nuts and sea salt snack bar for breakfasts on the go. They're 200 calories with 5 g of sugar. Sugar doesn't fill me up and get me going in the morning.
  • lasondraperrygraham1
    Options

I agree with this. I would drink the Special K shakes as a snack when I would get hungry a while back. Sometimes if I was running late I would drink one for breakfast to hold me over until I was actually able to get something else to eat.

Thanks for the tips and I would never drink one for a meal just for a snack
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The special K and slim fast ones to me just TASTE of diet food. They just have this not real taste to me so I've never been able to stick with them.

I have started to do protein shakes, premade, for breakfast. I buy Premire Portein shakes from Sams Club. I only started to do this because whey protein in powder form was really messing with my stomach and after refusing to touch the stuff for over a year I wanted to try it in liquid form to see if I reacted different to it. And thankfully I do. I normally blend it up with some frozen blueberries and some fiber powder for breakfast and it tastes pretty amazing and keeps me full on most days til lunch time. The shake is 130 calories with 30g of protein so I'm happy with those numbers.

All in all you'll hear a lot of very pro shakes and very against shakes. Do what is right for you. I do it because it's easy and fast. I only do it Monday - Friday because on weekends I have more time to actual cook.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I drink Special K once in awhile. It's yummy! Don't know if it's bad for me but it's definitely not the worse thing I put in my body.
  • rachso
    rachso Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Since I workout in the early morning before work and breakfast I am apt to down a shake before I workout to give some protein and a lil strength for my workout. It works good in that sense.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I drink a slimfast in the morning because it is convienent. I am a teacher and have to get to work super early. They keep me full until my snack at 10 am. when I am off, I prefer to have an egg on toast with a little butter, for the same calories. In a rush, they do the trick. I recently had a friend tell me that she throws the chocolate slimfast in the blender with some ice and frozen strawberries...I am trying it!
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My advice is to skip on the meal replacement. I think they are fine IF you are looking to drop weight a lil quicker for a special event, but to use for long term weight loss, which is what everybody wants, then I strongly advice skipping the meal replacements all together. You can do protein shakes with a small meal and it really helps. I used soy based protein shakes and I lost a pretty good amount of weight. In the beginning I thought it would help by replacing a meal with them, and I ended up very ill. I was so weak and in the bathroom quite a lot. So I'm speaking from experience, if I had to deal with that every day for the rest of my life....that'd be just too messy. Just count your calories, watch your carbs, and eat the right portion size. And drink lots of water! (That last one has proven super hard for me seeing as I strongly dislike water lol) Good luck!