Feel like giving up :(

Options
I have lost all motivation. Don't know what to do anymore. I really don't want to give up but this all seems really hard. I am having a hard time eating a healthy dinner I am out of choices besides chicken and vegetables. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? Why are your dinners so restrictive?
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Remind yourself of why you want to lose in the first place. It's going to be hard. Anything worth having is not easy, but you can do it!

I have a limited diet as well. I only consume fish, chicken, and turkey for meat. No pork. No beef. I'd suggest looking on Pinterest for recipe ideas if you're having trouble. Play with spices. One night I had teriyaki flavored chicken. Another night I had garlic flavored with olive oil. You can do so much with chicken... or any meat for that matter.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    What would life be like if you stopped losing weight?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I used to limit my menu. I have tried low fat, low carb, paleo etc...nothing ever worked. Now I eat anything I want, just weighed or measured out, and I stick to my daily calorie goal. I rarely feel deprived. I love tasting all different flavors and recipes. This has been the key to my weight loss. I am not sure why you are limiting yourself but, try not to limit yourself to tasteless, boring foods! Best of Luck and dont give up:)
  • gaxarlis08
    gaxarlis08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys. I limit myself basically because I don't know what else to eat. I also hate preparing food so it makes me more inclined to just give up. I am going to give it another go. I appreciate everyone's kind words and support, you all are so great!

I am going to look on pinterest for different recipes. I just have a portion control problem. I feel like I am always hungry no matter what. Any advice for that?

Open diary friends would be helpful too :)

Thanks again guys!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Embrace the hunger. :) I have to convince myself that I'm not really starving and that hunger is not an emergency.

For the portion control, use a smaller plate. It tricks your mind into feeling more satisfied with the meal.

Make "rituals" about eating. Eat without distractions. Enjoy every bite and eat slowly.

Plan ahead so that you can enjoy your favorite foods on occasion, unless they are "trigger" foods. Identify those and stay away when possible.

These are my strategies.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It IS hard! Anything worth having is worth working hard for.

Here's my experience. Instead of retyping it, here's the link to what I posted about my journey...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1254045-it-s-more-than-weight-loss
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have lost all motivation. Don't know what to do anymore. I really don't want to give up but this all seems really hard. I am having a hard time eating a healthy dinner I am out of choices besides chicken and vegetables. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

What do you mean you are out of choices other than chicken and vegetables? Do you not include grains because you are doing low carb? Why only chicken?

You obviously have the internet. Search for recipes that meet your diet criteria. You don't have to eat the same thing every day just because you are cutting calories. There are so many healthy low cal dishes. Experiment with new recipes to find some you love.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Glad you aren't giving up. That solves nothing. Try not to make this so hard on yourself, you can eat all the same foods you always did you just need to eat less. Focus on just the calorie deficit and logging first, than go from there. Don't overly restrict yourself that just makes it harder.

Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Have PATIENCE... I know these links have already been given but they are worth giving again

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Log your food accurately and honestly this thread will help:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys. I limit myself basically because I don't know what else to eat. I also hate preparing food so it makes me more inclined to just give up. I am going to give it another go. I appreciate everyone's kind words and support, you all are so great!

I am going to look on pinterest for different recipes. I just have a portion control problem. I feel like I am always hungry no matter what. Any advice for that?

Open diary friends would be helpful too :)

Thanks again guys!

Get a digital food scale and read labels to control your portions. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am always hungry no matter what. Any advice for that?

Exercise to earn more calories. I could never lose without exercise calories. I get too hungry.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Remind yourself of why you want to lose in the first place. It's going to be hard. Anything worth having is not easy, but you can do it!

This????
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Give up.

It's easier.

When you remember how badly that sucks. Remember why you want to do this.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I have been at that same point recently. You just have to always remember that the time is going to pass no matter if you are losing weight or not.. 6 weeks from now, you could be 10 pounds down just because you turned down the wrong foods a few times. Walking away will always add up! :) Do you have anyone that you could have as an accountability partner?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Stop restricting your diet so much and it'll be way easier. I'd give up too if all I allowed myself to eat was chicken and vegetables.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This probably isn't the most healthy suggestion, but when have been feeling hungry all day and can't seem to ever get full, I eat a ton of popcorn. It's really low calorie and I can eat and eat and not do too much damage. Every so often, it's worth it just to feel like I didn't have to limit myself for once.

I'm also having a big motivation problem right now. I just try to remind myself that any progress is progress. less than 1/2 a pound a week? That's ok. In a month you'll still have lost 2 pounds. In 3 months, 6 pounds. In a year, that's 24. Baby steps will still get you there.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    First, do you eat regular meals or do you wait until you're starving to eat? I eat roughly every 3 to 4 hours, otherwise I make choices I regret.

Second, you don't have to cook to lose weight:

Breakfast: Smoothie in a blender: almond milk, protein powder, blueberries

Snack: Apple, peanut butter

Lunch: large salad (just buy the bagged kind), leftover veggies, a cup of beans

Snack: 3 cups of Skinny Pop, handful of almonds

Dinner: frozen Amy's burrito (about 300 calories) defrosted and zapped for about 6 minutes, roasted veggies (buy frozen veggies, defrost, spray a cookie sheet with Pam, spread on the pan, put in oven preheated at 420 or so...we make these in bulk on Sundays.

Snack: 1 150 calorie skinny cow.

That's about 20 minutes of food prep for a full day.

You just hit a bump, don't let it force you off the road!
  • AlyRuth94
    AlyRuth94 Posts: 11
    Options
    I just have a portion control problem. I feel like I am always hungry no matter what. Any advice for that?

There's stuff that's filling AND not a whole lot of calories. Chili is my go-to. Like, you can eat 2 full bowls of chili and be looking at under 500 calories. I have chili in my fridge always. Also, WATER. Sometimes you think you're hungry when you're just outright thirsty!

I started this back in February I think, and back then, my portions were HUGE. We're talking around 1200 calories PER MEAL. That's about what I eat in a day now! When I started this, I felt like you. My portions were never satisfying. But after only about 2-3 weeks I started seeing changes in my appetite. Smaller amounts were filling me up!

Now, that being said, this might seem both counter-intuitive and counters what I just said: eat when you're hungry. Nothing will kill a diet faster than you being hungry for hours at a time. I'm talking your stomach is growling and your hands are shaking hungry. Not JUST having an appetite. Your stomach growling means you actually need to eat. Having just an appetite means you just WANT to eat. :-)
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Here's a few tricks I've learned to help with always feeling hungry.

1. Always drink a glass of water when you feel hungry and wait a few minutes to see if it subsides, your body can't tell the difference between hunger and thirst sometimes.

2. Drink a glass of water before each meal. (Also if you have trouble with plain water add a lemon)

3. If you feel hungry and it's not meal time, eat a banana or have a glass of milk if you don't have bananas on hand.

4. If nothing else is working, exercise and eat back those calories you've earned.

5. Try to limit drinks that are not water as drinking your calories will make this impossible.

6. When you do eat, eat a lot of protein, protein is what makes you feel full, things like greek yogurt, lowfat protein bars, even string cheese are great snacks that will keep you from feeling hungry all the time.