why are carbs so bad

Options

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. Many of them (fruits and veg) are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Low carb is a diet and a fad. It will go away in about 5 years after everybody loses weight on it and then regains it. Most (like myself) have been through that cycle on low carb already. I personally eat 50% carb per day and it kick started my weigh loss. I had to go to a dietitian to get that advice but i'll give it to you for free! lol

A diet and a fad and will go away in 5 years... even though it's already been around for decades. Got it. :laugh: And since when does the term "diet" have such a negative connotation? Hate to break it to you, but eating 50% carbs per day and tracking your calories is a diet. You can use squishy language like "lifestyle change" if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy, but what you call it matters a lot less than what you do.

As for the OP, carbs aren't bad. They aren't always filling, oftentimes they're tasty, but I think even people who purposefully restrict their carb intake won't tell you that "carbs are bad." Put another way, just because people may follow a low carb diet doesn't mean that they think carbs are inherently bad for them; rather, keeping carbs low may simply have other benefits that the low carb dieter (or "lifestyle changer", if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy) prefers.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. Many of them (fruits and veg) are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Low carb is a diet and a fad. It will go away in about 5 years after everybody loses weight on it and then regains it. Most (like myself) have been through that cycle on low carb already. I personally eat 50% carb per day and it kick started my weigh loss. I had to go to a dietitian to get that advice but i'll give it to you for free! lol

A diet and a fad and will go away in 5 years... even though it's already been around for decades. Got it. :laugh: And since when does the term "diet" have such a negative connotation? Hate to break it to you, but eating 50% carbs per day and tracking your calories is a diet. You can use squishy language like "lifestyle change" if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy, but what you call it matters a lot less than what you do.

As for the OP, carbs aren't bad. They aren't always filling, oftentimes they're tasty, but I think even people who purposefully restrict their carb intake won't tell you that "carbs are bad." Put another way, just because people may follow a low carb diet doesn't mean that they think carbs are inherently bad for them; rather, keeping carbs low may simply have other benefits that the low carb dieter (or "lifestyle changer", if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy) prefers.

I take umbrage, low carb isn't a diet - it's an eating strategy!
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers saying: You ain´t what you wanna be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain´t you! You´re better than that

life hits us hard,.. but instead if hitting back we decided to hit a box of twinkies... then I'd be dead by now
    its easy to point and blame other stuff... in this case and in many .. carbs are the bad guy
    [/quote]

Thanks for this. I hope you don't mind my printing it out and hanging on my fridge. I love it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    My motorcycle wouldn't run without carbs.

They help regulate the mixture of oxygen and gasoline for combustion...
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Low carb dieting will almost always be better for someone with significant insulin resistance (diabetic/prediabetic), it will just work better.

If you have high insulin sensitivity the opposite is true, a high carb, low fat diet will work better.

However you have to understand that insulin resistance is WHY this is the case and take care not to extend your case to everyone.

You also have to understand that insulin resistance can and does change with success; low carb diets are very good at making themselves a poor option.

It seems to be a very common scenario for someone obese to start out low carb dieting, have a ton of success and have it cemented in their mind that low carb dieting is the One True Way™, especially for their body. Then once they pass from obese to overweight and then toward normal to start to really struggle with it (stuff like aderenal fatigue is very much a symptom of using a low carb diet when no longer appropriate), not realizing (or accepting) that in fact that low carb dieting has become a problem for them, the same revelation they had when starting out low carbing they will have switching to a high carb/low fat diet.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    They're not bad.
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eating too many carbs can cause your blood sugar to rise and fall which makes you crave more of them.
  • AnnetteCorrado983
    Options
    Yes-Carbs will make you crave more food and ladies make those FAT cells GROW! I am starting a KETO eating plan for one month and I hope to get to the stored fat cells. I have been on a low carb eating plan for 22 months and down 60 lbs.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Just in to see all the anti-carb nonsense.

I love bread.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Eating too many carbs can cause your blood sugar to rise and fall which makes you crave more of them.

This is only true if you have insulin resistance. When your metabolism is working perfectly normal, your body can maintain a near constant blood sugar level.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    and what are they :angry:

They are not bad if you choose good quality sources for your carbs.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/
  • Ronni66
    Ronni66 Posts: 43
    Options
    Lots of people have responded but i will too cause i'm bored! I am not supposed to have carbs, and if i do they must be complex. Complex is wheat bread, rolled oats, Perverted rice (yes i said perverted cause i've always called it that and i don't remember the correct name lol) . beans, green veggies etc.

"Bad " Carbs are in essence "white " foods. White bread, pastas of all kinds, potatoes, corn, sugar , crackers, flour tortilla's and anything else yummy bread wise. Carbs turn into sugar..and with normal carbs it is no different then eating table sugar or high fructose corn syrup...Body absorbs the sugar calories, causes glucose spikes and a whole mess of fat on the *kitten*. Carbs also will not satisfy you in the long run and because of the boost in energy , you will be craving more carbs very soon.

Complex take longer to digest , you stay fuller longer and since they take a while to process it does not cause spikes in blood sugars and the body does not store it as fat like other carbs.

High Protein , low carb diet is the way to go and it does work. However..::raises her finger:: It is not a sin to indulge in the bad carbs once in a while so you do not lose your mind. Just make sure it is a small portion and not consumed daily.

Anyways, i hope this helped you or maybe it was just something to read while you mess with facebook...either way, good luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You remember back in the 80s and 90s, when fat was the devil and everyone was on a "low-fat diet?" We're going through the same thing with carbs right now, and have been for the last 10-15 years. Wait another 10 years or so, and all the wackjob fad dieters will be on low-protein diets.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Explain why I was in such a bad state, despite eating the magical low fat diet ...

Th^s is why.

Because it wasn't magical... and as you later figured out, fat wasn't bad. And the too-drastic reduction made you feel kinda ****ty.

And just like fat wasn't bad, neither are carbs bad. And low carb/high fat is just as "magical" as the low fat diet really. A too drastic reduction in carbs will do bad things too you too. We need carbs, just like we need fat and protein.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes-Carbs will make you crave more food and ladies make those FAT cells GROW! I am starting a KETO eating plan for one month and I hope to get to the stored fat cells. I have been on a low carb eating plan for 22 months and down 60 lbs.

No. Carbs do not make your fat cells grow.

Unless you eat too many. Your fat cells only grow when you eat too much and your body needs to store the excess. If you are eating at a deficit, your fat cells do not grow - even if you're eating carbs. And while carbs may make you crave more food. That's not true for everyone. That's just your personal thing.

Converse to your experience, I have been on a fairly high-carb eating plan for about 9 months and am down more than 40 pounds. So, you know... experiences vary and all that.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i love carbs

carbs carbs carbs carbs alll up in me
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad because they made me fat and pre-diabetic. Now that I restrict them to under 30g a day, I've lost 1/3 of my body weight and 1/2 the gain of the last 14 years, and I am no longer pre-diabetic and I have a normal blood lipid profile and blood pressure.

Now, tell me again that carbs are good? :p

You were pre-diabetic because you were fat and ate too much. Now that your weight is healthier, your blood sugar and blood pressure are normal. That has most probably nothing to do with carbs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You remember back in the 80s and 90s, when fat was the devil and everyone was on a "low-fat diet?" We're going through the same thing with carbs right now, and have been for the last 10-15 years. Wait another 10 years or so, and all the wackjob fad dieters will be on low-protein diets.

I can see it now...

LOW PROTEIN SALADS!!!

NO PROTEIN ORANGES!!!!

LOW PROTEIN WATER.

<facepalm>
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Because they tend to be high in calories, and over consumption of calories equals weight gain, which can and does lead to a whole host of medical problems, including, but not limited to, diabetes.

Also there is a HUGE difference between the nutritional value of simple carbs (white bread, white rice, potatoes) and complex carbs (Brown rice, whole grain, sweet potatoes) Most of the beneficial nutrition has been bleached and removed from the simple sort.

Carbs, Fat, Gluten are not your enemy. They're all an essential part of the human nutrition. It's the overeating of calories, and missing vitamins/minerals which makes you malnourished and overweight.

It's that simple.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Because they tend to be high in calories, and over consumption of calories equals weight gain, which can and does lead to a whole host of medical problems, including, but not limited to, diabetes.

Also there is a HUGE difference between the nutritional value of simple carbs (white bread, white rice, potatoes) and complex carbs (Brown rice, whole grain, sweet potatoes) Most of the beneficial nutrition has been bleached and removed from the simple sort.

Carbs, Fat, Gluten are not your enemy. They're all an essential part of the human nutrition. It's the overeating of calories, and missing vitamins/minerals which makes you malnourished and overweight.

It's that simple.

it is my understanding the difference between brown and white ride is negligible in terms of nutrients.