Is walking as exercise good for weight loss? 31lb

Options
I've recently got my diet under control, now I'm trying to fit exercise that i enjoy into my life that will have an effect on my weight loss.
I've been a member of a gym, done classes which i disliked, i don't like working out in front of people
I've tried workout DVD's but they are so boring, they do get me sweating and out of breath, i just end up putting them off because of the boredom. the only exercise i actually LOVE is walking, but is it enough?

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It is a great start and it will help quite a bit.

You will start to walk longer, more often, faster, etc and if you eat at a deficit and lose your weight there is a good chance you may even pick up jogging....
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Walking can be if you challenge yourself. Walk different paths and go different speeds to do this. A lot of people have lost weight walking and there are many doctors that prefer walking to running for weight loss.
  • GunterRose
    GunterRose Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway to my goal, and all I have done is changed how much I eat and I walk more. I got myself a FitBit and use it to track my steps everyday. I target at least 10,000 steps per day but usually end up around 15,000. It's been working for me so far!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It helps, but not for creating any major calorie deficit. The idea is that it's: 80% diet, 10% exercise, and 10% genetics. If you've plateaued from dieting, OR you want to eat the same and still lose weight, then cardio is the best. However, if you want to see real changes in your shape, I highly recommend heavy lifting.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit is what causes weight loss, not exercise.

If you want to walk for the health benefits and you enjoy it, then do it. You won't burn a huge amount of calories if you are looking to increase your deficit. Though wearing extra weight or walking up hill will increase the calorie burn.
  • dekadai
    dekadai Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's a great start. I walk about 5 miles a day and also use a fitbit to track my steps. You should try to follow a walking exercise video (like Leslie Sansone or any on youtube).
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I do random walk/jog workouts. It's all I do, all I plan to do with the occasional Zumba and other video-type workouts.

I push myself hard. My treadmill has different workouts you can choose that change up the MPH on you. I also do the c25k as a general workout.
  • _hillary_
    _hillary_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Especially if it's something that you love, and therefore are motivated to do more regularly than other types of exercise! It's true that you will need to spend more time walking to burn the calories that you would burn in less time doing a more high-intensity workout, but that's okay. If you can include walking as all or part of your daily commute, I highly recommend that. It's what I think of as "useful" exercise - you are getting somewhere that you need to be, and spending time that you would also otherwise be spending commuting. Combine that with walking for pleasure in the evenings and weekends, and a calorie deficit, and you should definitely see some weight loss.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I have lost 48lbs (from 232 to 184) with walking as my primary exercise. I started by walking about 3/4 miles at 2.5mph pace. I would increase my distance about every 2-3 weeks. I currently walk 3-4 miles daily at 3.8-4.0mph pace and go on a 7-8 mile hike on Saturday.

I also LOVE walking!!

ETA: If you like a bit on motivation and challenge, join the Move Your *kitten* Challenge Group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17713-move-your-ss-challenge
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight by walking.. A year ago I was walking 6 miles a day. 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. I went from a seize 8 to a size 4. Sadly I left MFP for a while and gained my weight back. Now I'm back and starting back into it slowly .
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    wait... wut???

OP deactivated her account!!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think walking is fantastic exercise, not because it's the most intense exercise or because it'll get you fit faster than other methods or because it burns calories faster within a given amount of time, but because you can fit it in virtually anywhere and anytime.

You don't need to dedicate an hour or half hour per day to walk. You can get in a few minutes here and there throughout the day for an overall good total calorie burn.

I average about 7.5 miles daily, or 15,000 steps. I use a Fitbit, something I'd recommend for everyone. I do walk for 30 minutes at lunch, but the bulk of my steps come from short walk breaks all day long. At the end of the day, Fitbit tells me I've burned an extra 1000+ calories (although I think 600 is probably more realistic). I also do strength training 4 to 6 days per week and ride my bike in the evenings and weekends. Walking is not my sole exercise. It's just something I do to supplement my more intense exercises.

Whether you walk only or walk in addition to other exercises, walking is good exercise and will help you burn extra calories.
  • Farmgirlsy
    Options
    Definitely, just walk, plain and simple. Watch this video about how someone started walking and it ended turning into a complete change in his life. It is very inspirational. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjH49JhQ-uI
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise for overall health and well-being.

It does take a lot of time investment to get a similar kCal burn that you would get with higher intensity exercise. If you have enough time to put in walking, it's great.

Another factor is variety. You do gain more if you are doing a variety of different things. It would be good to find some other exercises in addition to walking, so keep trying different things.

Also, try to imagine what it would be like to get over the self-consciousness of exercising around other people. I used to struggle with being the fattest guy in the swim group. I went ahead and swam anyway. Now it's my most enjoyable form of exercise; I've swam in meets, it's really been a huge plus in my life. I'm not nearly as big as I used to be, but on most days I am still the biggest person in the pool. When I realized that nobody else cares - they're there to swim, not analyze other people's bodies - I quit caring too. Think of this as another fitness challenge to be overcome.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    wait... wut???

OP deactivated her account!!

Well, way to hang in there, OP. Lol!
  • amberrea82
    amberrea82 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    For those who don't think so, look at my ticker and we shall have a conversation.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    It helps, but not for creating any major calorie deficit. The idea is that it's: 80% diet, 10% exercise, and 10% genetics. If you've plateaued from dieting, OR you want to eat the same and still lose weight, then cardio is the best. However, if you want to see real changes in your shape, I highly recommend heavy lifting.

***Just throwing this out there: I lost 35 lbs. without doing ANY exercise. At the time, I felt like engaging in a fitness routine was unsustainable, for me. Now, that I'm reaching my goal size, I'm finding that exercise, specifically, weight lifting is most important to reaching my esthetic goals. I STILL have to watch my intake, of course. Cardio is the last on my list, for my goals.***
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It is for some people and there goals. I decided in April to get control of my weight. For the first two weeks, I reduced my calories and started eating healthily. Then two weeks later I started taking walks daily. I live in a very hilly area, so it's a bit more intense then some areas. Anyways, I started to feel stronger, better and once I lost a few pounds, I started to add in strength workouts (DVDs, which I know you said were boring, but if they are effective, boring is tolerable). I've lost 15 lbs in 2 months and feel very strong, very motivated and very focused. Walking is a big piece of my routine, and even when I've done a tough strength workout, I have to get in my daily walk to feel complete.

If it is something you enjoy, it will help you with your goals.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah it is. Anything that gets you off your butt is great for you. Walking the dog, playing with the kids, yard work, and etc.

Walking is a good low intensity exercise and if you only got in at least 10,000 steps per day you'd be well on the way to living healthy and strong. Try wearing a pedometer to track your steps or consider a heart rate monitor and power walking.
  • bbracken77
    bbracken77 Posts: 65
    Options
    When I walk a lot I burn a lot of calories!! So I would say walking is good!Go out and get one of then step counters forgot the name of it. But the goods ones like i got keep track of every thing! I love mine I wear it every day!!