petite gurlys

Options
i asked a similar quesrion a few weeks ago, but i have a lot more fitnes pals to me list , so thought id ask again. is there any1 out there there is around the 4ft 11 mark? im 4ft 11 and petite, just wondered if u could share tips as to what you wear to make u feel slimmer and sometimes i can feel frumpy in certain clothes. As you can see from my profile pic my lower half is bigger the te top. im petite but have curves, so i have to really watch what i eat and wear, otherwise i can luk like a barrel :(

Replies

• penguinfan03
    penguinfan03 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" on a tall day, and I feel like heels and long tops are my best friends. Longer sweaters and baby tees accentuate the curves and make your torso look longer, so paired with the heels that make your legs look longer you've easily added a couple of inches. I think my longest sweater is fitted and comes to about mid-thigh.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Hey, Im 5ft 2 " and i feel the same. I really do have to watch my weight as because im short i dont hold extra weight very well. Even if i just put acouple of pounds on i can really tell. I find short skirts/dresses and killer heels do the trick. Mid length skirts make me look really short and frumpy. From your profile pic though you look fab in a mid length skirt!!
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I am not as short but I am petite as well. I am 5 foot 3 and it is hard to find jeans that fit me just right
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" with a light bone structure but what kills me is I have a really long waist...so I have to buy tunic tops :P I always buy skirts that hit above the knee with leggings and heels to make my looks look longer. Hey the plus side is we can wear mini dresses without looking scandalous ;)
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 5 ft, so I feel your pain. My top is smaller than my bottom too. Here's what works for me:

I avoid overly bulky clothes. Period. They do nothing for me. :noway:

I like boot cut jeans because they make your legs look longer & leaner. With heels or boots.

Heels! for any outfit that allows!

Nice jewelry (necklaces & earrings) to draw attention upwards. Same thing w/makeup and hair.

I avoid any top or jacket that hits at the hip; it'll make you look wide. Aim for the top to hit a little higher or just below the hip. On that note, I would never wear one of the sweater jacket things (the kind that look like coats or a big robe) either. You'll look like you're a child playing dressup with you Momma's clothes.

Well tailored clothes are nice for work.

I'm sure others may have some tips, these are just a few that work for me :bigsmile:

I looked at your pics....you seem to have a good handle on how to dress :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    First off, you have a phenomenal figure! That's the way women are supposed to be shaped. And you're doing everything right with that dress!

I'm taller, but very short-waisted so I wear petites sometimes. My natural waist is high, so a lot of times, the natural waist in dresses and some shirts hits on my hips instead of my waist. I have to remind myself that it's not me, it's the way the clothes are cut. Sometimes shortening the straps on a dress will help, if the dress has straps.

Wearing clothes with a higher defined waist, like your fab purple and black dress, makes your legs look longer. So do straight legged jeans and pants that are the same width at the ankles as knees. Tapered jeans and flares make legs look shorter. Skinny jeans can be hard to pull off, too. Hem skirts if they're too long. Be prepared to hem pants, too.

But most of all, embrace and celebrate your curves. One of my fashion role models is Lisa Edelstein, Cuddy on House MD. She has bigger hips (by Hollywood standards, anyway) and uses them to her best advantage. Retro styles are great for showcasing a tiny waist, too.
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    :flowerforyou: thanks everybody. will follopw the advice
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'3. Does that count? I have the worst time finding "petite" jeans that fit my curvy hips.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 too. I wear heels all the time. Also, straight-legged or trouser jeans, blouses and shirts that hit just about hip level help too. oh and empire waists for sure
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! Once I find a store with jeans that fit me I have to buy 1 in every color. :happy: