vitamix--which model do you recommend???

i have researched a lot of blenders and i think that the vitamix is the right choice. i have a real issue with texture, so if it will make the drinks super smooth and then i can enjoy getting my fruits and veggies = worth the money. i am just curious as to which model people think is the best, or how theirs is working out for them. i am interested in the professional series 750, but its 600ish dollars, which i do kind of find hard to justify :ohwell: i also like the idea of being able to make butters, ice cream, breads, soups too. since the machine is so versatile it makes me a little bit more comfortable with spending such a large amount of money.

Replies

• kc5grw
    kc5grw Posts: 12 Member
    I'm not sure the 750 is worth it. I have a 20 year old Vitamix VM0103 which is essentially the current 5200. It's a great machine. It will blend drinks very smooth. The price tag of these machines is pretty steep, but based on my experience it is well worth it. I used to burn up regular blenders all the time making frozen concoctions and what not. Not so with this one.
  • If you can get into costco that is your best bet! They change up the models that they offer but it's always a great deal!! You will be so happy you got one, I just used mine 5 minutes ago. :smile:
  • Oh and I paid $375 for mine!!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,010 Member
    Oh man, I have the 750 and I do think it's absolutely worth it. I use it everyday. It make smoothies (and whatever else you put in there) super smooth. I toss whole apples in there, kale, carrots, and it pretty much liquifies it to the point that my kiddos can drink it out of sippy cups. I used it recently to grind coffee and use it frequently to make soups and sauces. I love it and it's totally replaced my juicer.
  • randomusername5
    randomusername5 Posts: 36 Member
    I have the 5200. It pulverizes anything I put in it. Got it refurbished from the Vitamix website. It seems like it's available refurbished for around 300 dollars. Unless you specifically know that you need much more power than what the 5200 offers, I don't see any reason to pay more. And to be clear: the 5200 offers _a lot_ of power.

At any rate, whatever model you get, consider getting a refurb. It's only the base (the motor) that has been previously used; you will get a brand new container to go with it, so you don't need to worry about cleanliness.

Also, from what I can tell, Vitamix charges a lot more for the models with "preset" modes. I can't think of any reason why these would warrant an extra outlay. Just turn the darn thing on, ramp up the speed, and you're good to go. You don't need some stupid electronics to manually fiddle with the speed every so many seconds (or so it seems to me).
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    I have a 750 and LOVE it. The presets are a real convenience especially the "wash". Set it and walk away. We use the Vitamix every morning for smoothies and often for soup. The Harvest Cheddar Soup and the Pizza Soup are our favorites. Both those recipes are on the Vitamix site BTW. If my house were on fire I would grab my dogs, photos and my Vitamix.
  • courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    thanks for all the info. so the question is, do the other models allow you to do ice cream, soups, bread, and other various functions like the 750. the big turn on for me is that it pulverizes everything and makes it all into a hot soup or i can make ice cream. i am not big on a lot of fruits and veggies--im very picky, so eating the same ones gets old after a short period. it just seems like a great way for me to get better nutrients into my body, and hopefully turn my son and mom onto eating better as well.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    The "guts" are the same as I understand it. All Vitamixes will give you super smooth smoothies and make hot soups even the new "personal" version.
  • courtney123180
    alrighty, well thanks so much :)
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    I got the Costco 5200 for 380. It's a dream to use. There is no question how great they are.
  • courtney123180
    I got the Costco 5200 for 380. It's a dream to use. There is no question how great they are.

will that machine still do soups and ice cream?
  • courtney123180
    I have the 5200. It pulverizes anything I put in it. Got it refurbished from the Vitamix website. It seems like it's available refurbished for around 300 dollars. Unless you specifically know that you need much more power than what the 5200 offers, I don't see any reason to pay more. And to be clear: the 5200 offers _a lot_ of power.

At any rate, whatever model you get, consider getting a refurb. It's only the base (the motor) that has been previously used; you will get a brand new container to go with it, so you don't need to worry about cleanliness.

Also, from what I can tell, Vitamix charges a lot more for the models with "preset" modes. I can't think of any reason why these would warrant an extra outlay. Just turn the darn thing on, ramp up the speed, and you're good to go. You don't need some stupid electronics to manually fiddle with the speed every so many seconds (or so it seems to me).

i haven't seen anywhere on the site where to buy refurbished. any idea where that area on the site might be?
  • courtney123180
    [/quote]

i haven't seen anywhere on the site where to buy refurbished. any idea where that area on the site might be?
    [/quote]

nevermind, i found it :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    I know you have set your mind on a Vitamix so this might be be helpful...I decided for a Blendtec model, which is the same in efficiency, but it is not as high and therefore fits better on my counter in the kitchen.

Blendtecs also come refurbished. Either of them will keep you very happy.
    Stef.
  • Jaha1ra
    Jaha1ra Posts: 3 Member
    I got a factory reconditioned 750 from their website.. I love it.. I paid about 550.00, and it was totally worth it!
  • BexleyGirl
    BexleyGirl Posts: 102
    I have the 750...got it from William Sonoma. It is worth every penny. Whatever one you get....you will LOVE it.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    I have the 5200, you can drink your cell phone if you put it in there with a little water....
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    All of the vitamix machines will do both hot soup and ice cream...
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    I got the 6300 from Costco and it's excellent. I love it but man is it loud. I don't know if anyone else has encountered the same problems but my blender has a bit of a hard time with the harvest cheddar soup, the last time I made it I actually tripped the overheat protection sensor.. twice. It was quite strange. Either way, I've used it to replace a juicer and ice cream maker, as well as my other blender which held up very well. The presets are great but if they aren't necessary you can save yourself a bit of money. :)