Low-sugar milk

Options
kikityme
kikityme Posts: 472 Member
So a half cup of 2% milk has 6 grams of sugar. Which is actually my daily limit for sugar.

Other than almond and other nut milks (which I can't drink and are disgusting) are there any lower/no sugar milks in Canada? I am on a border and can go to the States, but I think your milk tastes funny ;)

I've looked on the forums, but the only suggestion is almond.

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Why is 6 grams of sugar your daily limit??
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Why is your limit 6 grams? Are you sure that doesn't refer to added sugar... which you would then not count lactose (milk sugar) or fruit and veggie, a lot of sugar limits are arbitrary and don't really make sense.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That is impossible...
  • kikityme
    Options
    Nope. 6 grams. Diabetic. It's extremely doable, except for the darn milk.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk has no sugar in it. It's also not very tasty IMHO.
    I share the PP's curiosity about the 6 g of sugar thing...even diabetics can have more sugar than that! I don't think it's physically possible to eat less than 6 g of sugar per day.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    American milk is loaded with sugar also.

I hate it.

Heavy Whipping Cream doesn't have any carbs, so I use it in my coffee.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    So a half cup of 2% milk has 6 grams of sugar. Which is actually my daily limit for sugar.

Other than almond and other nut milks (which I can't drink and are disgusting) are there any lower/no sugar milks in Canada? I am on a border and can go to the States, but I think your milk tastes funny ;)

Lactose free milk?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Nope. 6 grams. Diabetic. It's extremely doable, except for the darn milk.

Does it actually make your blood sugar skyrocket? I'm only prediabetic, but I have no problems with milk.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk has no sugar in it. It's also not very tasty IMHO.

Might try the unsweetened vanilla flavored version. Same nutritional profile, just has some flavoring in it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I hate it.

That isn't added sugar, most of it is naturally occurring sugar (lactose)
  • richardheath
    Options

I hate it.

I would imagine that a Canadian cow isn't that much different than an American cow. Except for the accent.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The sugars are naturally in the milk. The nationality of the cows isn't really going to matter. Edit: oh, that point was made.

Just out of curiousity, I looked at my diary, and yesterday, even excluding the apple I ate, and the sweet potato, both of which had over 6 g alone, I ate 10 g of sugar from vegetables.
  • richardheath
    Options

Lactose free milk?

But don't they just cleave the lactose (into galactose and glucose) to make it lactose free? Probably worse for a diabetic.
  • kikityme
    Options
    I manage on 6 grams almost every day. You just have to really watch what you put in your mouth.

It depends on the veg/fruit you choose, I opt for very low sugar veg and a few handfuls of berries occasionally. I think the processes used for those funny sounding cows stateside makes it taste different. More....watery I guess.

The 6 grams is a test to see if it will get my A1C numbers down. Cause nothing is working, not 30 pounds, not what my doctor calls "the best eating plan he's ever seen." To be fair, I'm Type 1.5 (meaning it's not all weight, I'm predisposed to Type 1 as well as 2, thank you Native ancestors!) So there's a chance there will be insulin involved no matter what I try.

Yes, lactose free spikes my blood sugar very fast, cause the glucose in it is so easily absorbed.

I might just have to suck it up and try the almond again. It's amazing what you can stand when you have to eat something!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I manage on 6 grams almost every day. You just have to really watch what you put in your mouth.

It depends on the veg/fruit you choose, I opt for very low sugar veg and a few handfuls of berries occasionally. I think the processes used for those funny sounding cows stateside makes it taste different. More....watery I guess.

The 6 grams is a test to see if it will get my A1C numbers down. Cause nothing is working, not 30 pounds, not what my doctor calls "the best eating plan he's ever seen." To be fair, I'm Type 1.5 (meaning it's not all weight, I'm predisposed to Type 1 as well as 2, thank you Native ancestors!) So there's a chance there will be insulin involved no matter what I try.

Yes, lactose free spikes my blood sugar very fast, cause the glucose in it is so easily absorbed.

I might just have to suck it up and try the almond again. It's amazing what you can stand when you have to eat something!

I find that hard to believe, but who knows, you have a closed diary.
  • kikityme
    Options

I find that hard to believe, but who knows, you have a closed diary.

My diary is closed cause I was sick of the "ehrmagerd! You eat too much meeeeeeet! and faaaaaaat!" And it's really nobody's business. I am under qualified nutritionists and doctors orders. The question had nothing to do with my diary.