Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What time do you stop eating

I've been on that many fad diets and get told different information about what time not to eat after. I try not to eat after 8 because that's the time my girls go bed. What would you all suggest?

Replies

• headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    my cutoff is 9
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    It doesn't matter really for ultimate goals, but I stop eating and drinking at 7pm each night (about 3 hours before bed). I started doing that because when I would eat and drink until late at night my weight in the morning fluctuated a lot more wildly due to water weight and such. It is nicer for me to have a more consistent drop each week at weight in.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Depends on the day. Typically dinner is around 6:30-7:30, and maybe a snack after. Last night ate late - about 10:00 due to work schedule.

In the long run, it doesn't really matter. If you weigh every morning at 6am, an occasional late night meal can have an impact on the next weighin - less time for the body to process out the sodium, etc. But no real impact on weight loss.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I stop eating when I go to bed. Your body doesn't care when you eat. As long as I have calories left, I keep eating.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    It makes no difference what time of the day you eat. It's how many calories within a time frame that matters.

I never go to bed hungry. If it's midnight and I'm hungry, I eat.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    My cutoff is when I run out of calories. I'll often eat right up until bedtime, right before brushing my teeth. Caloric intake timing is a personal preference and will not affect your weight loss. Hitting your calorie goals each day/week/month is what will affect your weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It depends on when I run out of calories, which can be anywhere from 7pm-bedtime. I try to keep about 200 calories left for a 9 or 10pm snack, though.

Meal timing won't affect your weight loss. If eating late at night doesn't cause you sleeping problems or heartburn and you have enough calories left in the day, a late night snack won't hurt your goals.
  • muppet1501
    muppet1501 Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks for the replies guys I feel so much better now :)
  • cnlargent
    cnlargent Posts: 199 Member
    I eat anytime if I'm hungry. I'm pretty sure if I went to France my body wouldn't know the time change difference and turn all of my food into fat.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    It depends on when I run out of calories, which can be anywhere from 7pm-bedtime. I try to keep about 200 calories left for a 9 or 10pm snack, though.

Meal timing won't affect your weight loss. If eating late at night doesn't cause you sleeping problems or heartburn and you have enough calories left in the day, a late night snack won't hurt your goals.

I do the same, I reserve 200 or so calories just in case I get hungry in the evening near bedtime, they serve as a little cushion for me, and if I don't use those calories then they serve as a little boost in the pace of my weightloss.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    My cutoff is when I run out of calories. I'll often eat right up until bedtime, right before brushing my teeth. Caloric intake timing is a personal preference and will not affect your weight loss. Hitting your calorie goals each day/week/month is what will affect your weight.

This is me. Sometimes my parents get mad if I'm out of calories before dinner. Mom often says I need to plan better but.......eh, whatever.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Any time is food time.