Worried about peoples over amped nutritional expectations.

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm worried about how much you seem to be worried about how much other people seem to be worried about certain foods.

And I'm worried about how much you seem to be worried about how much the OP seems to be worried about what other people seem to be worried about certain foods.
  • swalberg0625
    swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    "To me this just seems barmy. I mean honestly there may be something to the science behind this. But I always thought that your body is not designed to last forever. That pretty much ANYTHING you put in it is going to damage it in some way or another. And now that I am correcting my health I have not found this line of thinking to be wrong. I have done nothing special to lose weight. I have merely combined a sensible calorie restriction with an ever increasing exercise program. And this has worked. And I am sure will continue to work. However according to muck of what I read everywhere I am still poisoning my body. "

You are right, our bodies are not designed to last forever, but when I get old, I still want to feel good. Counting calories will help you lose weight, but if you want to feel good, you have to be conscious of what you are nourishing your body with. Choosing more whole foods/fruits/veggies lowers risks for diseases. Yeah you can still get killed walking across the street, or breathing in smoke/smog. But I choose to feed my body more of what I know it needs, and less of processed junk. I feel my body will thank me for it later.
  • MissFlab2Fab2014
    Options
    I am curious to see what everyone has to say... should be interesting
  • MeAlley3148
    MeAlley3148 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You pretty much described me. First I gave up trans fat/fried foods. I lost weight but I was still overweight.

Then I gave up meat and started eating a lot of beans, nuts, protein powders. I lost weight but I was still overweight.

Then I gave up dairy and eggs. I lost more weight.

Then I gave up sugar and white flour. I lost more weight.

I am still 10 pounds overweight and now I obsess over my macros. I eat vegetables, fruits, beans, almond milk in my pea protein powder. Always micromanaging my calories (1000-1200) and my protein (at least 80) and my fiber (at least 30).

It breaks my heart every day when MFP says "If you ate like this for 5 weeks, you would weigh XXX."

It just isn't true. I can't lose the last 10 pounds no matter what I do, no matter what I give up.

I will just have to love myself the way I am.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm worried about how much you seem to be worried about how much other people seem to be worried about certain foods.

And I'm worried about how much you seem to be worried about how much the OP seems to be worried about what other people seem to be worried about certain foods.

This fills me with fret and fright.
  • hallo_spacedog
    hallo_spacedog Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/KeTJFzdvS40
    All the food is poison.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am curious to see what everyone has to say... should be interesting

Me too. In for the commentary.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

But I'm not really worried much at all.

Oh, maybe that's it...you're worried about how *little* I seem to be worried about how much the OP seems to be worried about what other people seem to be worried about certain foods.

That's legit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

This fills me with fret and fright.

Then you're going to absolutely *love* it here in the MFP forums.

You're now home among your peoples.

Welcome home.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, as well as everything causing cancer and needing immunizations to prevent any type of cold/flu.
    Basically, I think people are paranoid/anxious and try to prevent anything bad from happening when realistically - it can never happen. That is life, the world we have built and we all die in the end regardless.
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    yeah, I like your idea that everything is essentially damaging your body in some way. I think that's true. But I do think there are specific foods in our society that have been designed to be as enticing as possible to maximize profit, damn the health consequences of the consumers.

Look at the rise in trends of obesity over the past 20-30 years, the new normal for serving size and increase in sedentary employment. Now I don't demonize one particular type of food, but in general, I think you need to be extremely skeptical and selective about what you choose to consume for nourishment. I think in the USA, the process of eating takes more care and consideration than it ever has before. I think it's a different ballgame.
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well, there's a part where I agree. Some ppl are ditching gluten and they have no idea what it is or what harm does it do to their body. To me this is illogical. However, for ppl who trying to lose a good amount of weight, worrying (not over-obsessing) abt what they eat is good start towards a healthy lifestyle.
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    Dude I feel for you. Sometimes I feel like people blame food for their issues rather than attacking the real problem, like the balance/amount/quality of the food they eat or the lack of exercise.

It is easy to say "well the chemicals in the food are causing me to retain my weight". No. The three hours on your couch eating half a bag of trail mix is what is causing you to retain weight lmao. People have zero personal accountability anymore. They look for anything except themselves to blame.

eh, agreed to a certain extent, but there are real, verifiable toxins in our environment that have an effect on us, as biological systems. Toxins that didn't used to be there until very recently. I mean, there's the tin-foil hat extreme, where you're afraid of everything but honestly, I'd rather be at that end than the one where we still have lead in the paint of our kid's toys.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Hehe looks like a lot of people agree with me. Which is reassuring. When you have as much weight to lose as I do you tend to end up trying to make more come off any way you can. And i just found myself gradually going .. wait .. what? after reading about 10 or 12 completely contradictory articles. It's just like religion. Whatever faith i decide to follow the other books god says imma goin to hell lol.

I appreciate that this might be old news to some people. To an extent I already knew it was present. However the more I read into the various theories people have the more genuinely concerned I become. Because of stuff like this people can't just be happy with their bodies even if they are in fact pretty damn healthy. They feel they have to be perfect. I know that the nature of my post is somewhat ironic. But unlike wheat or tomatoes or carrots I actually think that the rise in Orthoxia is a subject of genuine concern.

Oh and this http://youtu.be/KeTJFzdvS40 made me laugh so damn hard.

Don't it the food yo!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But I do think there are specific foods in our society that have been designed to be as enticing as possible to maximize profit, damn the health consequences of the consumers.

Steak, roasted potatoes, asparagus with a hollandaise sauce, perhaps? Pretty enticing.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    But I do think there are specific foods in our society that have been designed to be as enticing as possible to maximize profit, damn the health consequences of the consumers.

Steak, roasted potatoes, asparagus with a hollandaise sauce, perhaps? Pretty enticing.

Well ... yes but that's usually when you eat out or choose microwave meals. And these people run businesses. And businesses make more money when their food is tastier than anyone else's. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out that microwave meals and restaurant food isn't going to be something you wanna live on.
  • seashel812
    seashel812 Posts: 25
    Options
    I get what you're saying, some people can take their healthy eating too far. At the same time I don't think totally disregarding nutrition because we're all going to die anyways is right thinking either. To me quality of life is important and I just feel a whole lot better when I make healthy choices. I'm sensitive to certain foods and I know I feel like crap when I eat them and I don't like feeling like that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Well ... yes but that's usually when you eat out or choose microwave meals. And these people run businesses. And businesses make more money when their food is tastier than anyone else's. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out that microwave meals and restaurant food isn't going to be something you wanna live on.

?? That menu would sound pretty unappealing to me if it was from a microwave meal, and while it's a lovely thing to order in a restaurant it's also lovely when I cook it myself.

The point was that food designed to be enticing and delicious is hardly some new-fangled thing created by marketing departments and the purveyors of so-called unnatural foods. Humans have been making food as appetizing as possible for ages, and I hardly think that the "processed" stuff that people complain about is somehow more magically irresistable than the kind of menu I mentioned. I certainly know which I'd choose!
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This post has way to much logic in it for a Monday on MFP.

How refreshing.

Today they brain.

Dont has the dumb!
  • GeorgiaJenn1181
    Options
    I'm not sure it's so much worrying about what strangers eat, rather being annoyed by self-righteous naysayers. I'll give an example from my personal life. My aunt is anti-gluten. I mean, she's obsessed about the stuff. She has self-diagnosed Celiac Disease. No, I'm not kidding. She goes on and on about how *everyone* is gluten-intolerant, how our bodies were never designed to digest gluten, wheat belly this, Elizabeth Hasselbeck's cookbook that, she can't use my toaster because of cross contamination, how if I loved my family I'd take them off gluten. "Is that a rash on your arm? That's your gluten sensitivity!" Seriously, it gets old.

I could care less whether someone wants to eat raw bacon or fifteen bananas a day, so long as they don't get all preachy at me about what I'm eating. It's one thing to focus on nutrition. You don't want to consume too much sodium or refined sugar. That's just good common sense, but with all of the high-profile raw vegan bloggers out there falling into malnutrition and otherwise poor health and going back to cooked foods and animal proteins, it is a bit concerning that the gurus out there push such restrictive diets.