can anyone suggest good hunger/craving suppressants?

Options
12346»

Replies

• bobbiejof33
    Options
    Well there's cravings and then there is hunger. First you have to ask yourself which one it is. If its cravings, you just gotta learn and tough it out. Sometimes I eat something else that I like, something healthier, just to supress the craving of the usually unhealthy thing I want. If its hunger, I would recommend eating. If you are already over your calorie goals for the day, take a step back, look at what you are eating and make some adjustments. If you know you are bound to get hungry later in the evening, eat something lighter, yet filling at dinner, that will leave room for a snack at night. :)

This is a great idea, and I think I am going to follow it myself :) Thanks!
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    By learning to eat smaller meals, your stomach will shrink and you will be less hungry normally. This wont solve everything, but itll help.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Just picture mold growing all over oogled food. YUCK! :noway:
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well there's cravings and then there is hunger. First you have to ask yourself which one it is. If its cravings, you just gotta learn and tough it out. Sometimes I eat something else that I like, something healthier, just to supress the craving of the usually unhealthy thing I want. If its hunger, I would recommend eating. If you are already over your calorie goals for the day, take a step back, look at what you are eating and make some adjustments. If you know you are bound to get hungry later in the evening, eat something lighter, yet filling at dinner, that will leave room for a snack at night. :)

This is a great idea, and I think I am going to follow it myself :) Thanks!

That's the strategy I use. I need to have night time calories available because that is when I'm the most hungry. I eat a small breakfast and lunch every work day so I have at least 1k calories to plan dinner with, if I have less than 1k for dinner, I exercise to earn at least that many.

Sometimes on weekend, my strategy is napping! I'm hungry when I'm tired, so sleeping helps me, and sleeping through a meal is like bonus points!

Also, like so many said, drink water!

If you are under hydrated for what your body really needs, your body is used to harvesting its water requirements from your food and will trigger hunger in order to get water. But really, you're just thirsty. And once you are properly hydrated, you'll know it, because you'll actually be thirsty more often. Your body will fire the correct trigger for an appropriate response.

Drink a tall glass of water, wait 10 minutes, are you still hungry? If not, you were just thirsty.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you use certified pure oils then they are fine to ingest (with the exception of very few). That said, using them topically provides the same benefits. Crazy that people accept harsh chemicals in medicines that they are prescribed, but reject anything natural. I just don't get it.

Because natural =/= safe. Anything strong enough to have an effect has the potential to have negative effects, "natural" or not.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you use certified pure oils then they are fine to ingest (with the exception of very few). That said, using them topically provides the same benefits. Crazy that people accept harsh chemicals in medicines that they are prescribed, but reject anything natural. I just don't get it.

I have been an herbalist for 10 years. I only use pharmaceutical drugs when necessary (and sometimes they are). I am all for the natural approach. Please don't assume I don't support your choices of natural therapies, because I do. My concern here is for the health of your liver and kidneys. These organs are not designed to handle the extreme concentration of essential oils. These substances in such high concentrations are poisonous to your body. They say "for external use only" for very good reasons. Please, please, please stop ingesting these substances internally.

Good health to you on your journey. :smile:
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My 100+ extra pounds were binging/craving related. They diminished considerably when I adopted a no-grain, no-dairy, no added sodium, no added sugar eating plan.

I have recently bought a couple bottles of yacon syrup and it seems helpful. I was particularly interested in ot because my weight loss had slowed drastically in the last several weeks, partly because of some thyroid issues.

I want to see if, by using the yacon syrup with my daily nutritious eating plan, I can get past this current plateau. So far, so good!
  • lovlegs84
    Options
    ekd23 wrote: »
    Grapefruit essential oil can help...or SlimNSassy oils by doTERRA. (it's a blend of all natural essential oils) Not a "magic pill" but it will help with the cravings and grapefruit helps boost metabolism and burn fat. Feel free to message me.

So glad to hear there are doTerra Essential Oil users here . I love the oils and use them daily for my personal weight management goals and help others as well... my husband and myself are wellness advocates in memphis tn .
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Well usually if I'm hungry I eat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1pandabear wrote: »
    I think a cup of green tea is said to help. I keep meaning to buy some and try it.

This^

Tea - green or herbal or whatever. Hot tea takes awhile to drink and comes in tons of flavors.

Hint* green tea can be really bitter if the water temp is too high. Bring the water to just about boiling (small bubbles).

Lipton Superfruit green teas are really fruity. If you've never tried green tea before....start with flavored. They make nice iced tea also.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ekd23 wrote: »
    Grapefruit essential oil can help...or SlimNSassy oils by doTERRA. (it's a blend of all natural essential oils) Not a "magic pill" but it will help with the cravings and grapefruit helps boost metabolism and burn fat. Feel free to message me.

Grapefruit burns fat! What a crock of *kitten*.....but it's not a magic pill though (um right) ;) .
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book by Judith Beck "The Beck Diet Solution". She teaches cognitive therapy techniques to manage cravings. It's working for me.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ummm... working out is a really good distraction or walking somewhere etc. But food wise, an MFP friend introduced me to Skinny Pasta (which is like 14 calories for 200g and the spaghetti version is awesome!). So those are 2 coping mechanisms I use. Oh also, I get Graze boxes (the Low Cal option) and use these as mid-morning or mid-afternoon snacks. They're great!