Anyone using Slim Fast?

Options
I just bought a slim fast shake mix, has anyone tried these?

I'd love to read your input. :wink:

Replies

• Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    I just bought a slim fast shake mix, has anyone tried these?

I'd love to read your input. :wink:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Nope but I have tried their chocolate nougat snack bar and i am in love:blushing:
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i did along time ago and from what i remember the chocolate malt one was really good. I miss the crunch and taste of solid food though so i it didn't do me any good i would drink the shake and eat anyway how obessesed was I? i have friends that have used it though and had success drink plenty of water with it :drinker:
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    The milk chocolate one is the best. Its been awhile since i've had it too....but its great for when your really on the go, that way you dont miss a meal.
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    i am always on the hunt for "shakes" for my hubby who drinks them as snacks at work or if he needs the exrtra cals during the day, and i was just looking at the Slimfast shake labels over the weekend.... i didn't buy them because they had too many sugars, lots of carbs, and too little protein to make it worth it (especially if it's going to replace a meal - which in my opinion is a bad idea!!! better to eat/chew small low cal healthy meals with veggies, proteins, and whole grains than to drink something down in a matter of minutes and then end up hungry before you've even had a chance to say "all done")...anyhow - i ended up buying the EAS Myoplex Lite (Carb Advantage or Control - i can't remember) shakes because they were low sugar, low carb, and lots of protein...we use them as snacks but if you do have to use as a meal then at least you know you're getting plenty of protein and not a can full of sugar...and the EAS ready-to-drink shakes are yummy (so says hubby)....i like the powder packet form so that i can blend with ice and milk or water...they are soo filling and yummy, plus they take a long time to drink so they are the perfect snack/treat! (as a side note to the powdered EAS Myoplex Lite Powders: my nutritionist said these shakes have an ingredient in them which bulks up in the stomach so that you feel fuller longer....i have looked over the label and don't know what that ingredient is but i definitely do feel quite full...could be all the ice and water too so who really knows)...anyhow i hope this helps...i know many people buy the slimfast shakes thinking they are doing the right thing and they don't even realize that they are actually consuming a bunch of junk...fuel your body with healthy foods and you WILL see results! :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    no slim fast for me. If I want a liquid something, I go for a V8. I get fiber and all the vitamins I could ever want with one of those. Mix the spicey one with a little vodka and you get a nice little bloody mary that still helps a little with your nutrition. Granted, alcohol is pretty bad, but if you're gonna do it... :drinker:
  • Canelitas
    Options
    Thanks for replying,

I got the Chocolate and French Vanilla, they are suppose to make you feel ful for up to 4 hours, so we'll see. It does have 5 grams of fiber. :happy:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I used SlimFast. After about 3 months of mostly sorta trying to stick to it, I lost a *few* pounds. Then I quit and regained the weight. It just wasn't for me, but back then I didn't have either the commitment I have now, nor the tools that MFP has given to me.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    when I first started myfitnesspal, I bought a case of Slim Fast and kept it in the fridge for the days when I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't want to miss a meal...I didn't find that they kept me full, and I only used them in a pinch...if you're going to try the Slim Fast plan, I would recommend alternating between the shakes and the meal replacement bars so you don't get bored with the plan...I just think you'll have more success that way...best wishes for your weight loss plan!
  • milomoose
    Options
    I personally found that the SlimFast powder was a nightmare to properly mix. I always had weird little undissolved pockets of chocolate powder floating on top. I think it has trouble dissolving because the milk is so cold. Might be a lot of work but maybe try making it with a hand-held mixer or in a blender. I think you can also buy the pre-made blends in little cans.

I couldn't stick with it because it didn't feel like a "meal" to me. I still needed the psychological aspect of solid food.

Best of luck though.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    lately I have been drinking strawberry slimfast in the AM because I am not hungry early in the morning...basically I just do it so I can get my metabolism going for the day, not for the "filling the tummy" reason. Tastes good too...lol
  • chubbymom
    chubbymom Posts: 164
    Options
    I am a EAS low carb shake girl. I know Sam's Club carries them in the bulk for a good price. They are not too bad...low calorie and only like 3 carbs!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    yikes, I think I tried that ages ago. The cans are much better than the powder-too hard to mix and what if everyone isn't up at 6am or whenever you need to use a blender to properly mix the stuff? I was always hungry, so I eventually settled for drinking them to get vitamins and minerals. I wasn't very good with making healthy meals back then-lots of frozen food and eating out...:laugh:
  • Canelitas
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and best wishes everyone.

I tried the French Vanilla this morning, I blended 3oz of milk, with 10 ice cubes, for a min. then added the powder, and blended for about 30 secs. I must say it was very, very, good! I don't plan on using "thier food plan", just wanna use these as food substitutes for breakfast and dinner.

I'll be weighting myself on Wed. so I will let you all know if I gained or lost.
    Oh, I'll also have to get the Strawberry One. :tongue:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and best wishes everyone.

I tried the French Vanilla this morning, I blended 3oz of milk, with 10 ice cubes, for a min. then added the powder, and blended for about 30 secs. I must say it was very, very, good! I don't plan on using "thier food plan", just wanna use these as food substitutes for breakfast and dinner.

I'll be weighting myself on Wed. so I will let you all know if I gained or lost.
    Oh, I'll also have to get the Strawberry One. :tongue:

good for you!!! and mmm that sounds like a milk shake....lol

I have tried the cans and not too bad, but I'd do what you plan on doing...use in a pinch, like a power bar etc....they have good vitamins and good fiber...and can fill you enough that you won't go after the bag of chips in the vending machine....so go for it and enjoy!

hugs!
    Ali :drinker:
  • Canelitas
    Options
    Thanks Ali :flowerforyou:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    A long long time ago I tried it twice, first time I had to stop because I kept getting broncitis and had to go on an antibiotic and the second time I got bronchitis and stopped again. I guess it didn't do too much for my imunesystem and the weight I lost sprinted back to my body and brought a lot of friends with it.
    I eat cereal with low fat yogurt in the morning ( don't care for milk too much) and it is also fast and healthy. For lunch I'll have a salad and some whole wheat sandwich with low fat lunchmeat or a wrap and in the evening I'll have some lean meat , lots of salad or veggies and a small portion of pasta or rice or potatoes. I also eat at least 2 snacks during the day, either fruit or jello or even low fat no sugar ice cream ( turkey hill has a great variety with 130 cal. per 1/2 cup).
    I try to do at least 30 min. of some kind of exercise a day ( dvd, dancing to oldies , swimming or heavy housecleaning) and so far it has worked well for me.
    I wish you success with whatever you do, for me that stuff don't work
  • p90x_Dude
    p90x_Dude Posts: 332
    Options
    No slim fast for me, I've tried some slim slow much too often though :tongue:
  • Sakarielle
    Options
    I love the chocolate chip cookie meal on the go bar... works great for breakfast.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    No slim fast for me, I've tried some slim slow much too often though :tongue:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: