New Wendy's Commercial & Food Rewards

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with ice cream when I went up in weights the other day. Does it make a difference if the kid actually achieved something?

That's actually what bothered me the most in the description of this commercial. It's not that they were rewarding with food, it's that they were rewarding a non achievement. I think that sort of action is potentially far more damaging to a growing child's mental state than the act of rewarding actual achievement with food.

So taking a kid out to ice cream after a game they lost is automatically rewarding a non-achievement?

That's not a reward, that's a pick me up. It's not like she got a trophy for showing up.

There's a lot of assuming going on over a 30 second commercial where there were four words spoken between the girl and the dad.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    God damn I want a frosty.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Well...I don't consider a Frosty a reward for me...but that banana split that I had on Mother's Day...that was a reward for being a MOM!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I was more bothered by the concept that the only two choices of roles in the baseball game seemed to be "home run hitting star" and "person who stands there and lets balls hit them." Could they not have come up with an alternative that the child did do well during the game and show the kid that you can celebrate that accomplishment even if you're not the star of the game?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It is something to think about as we parent (and self-reward) but then again, humans are born being comforted by food. Babies cry, we stick something in their mouth, they go to sleep. We'll never un-connect the fact that food is a comforting part of life.

I think we can OVERuse it as a comfort tool, though. But a sad kid with a healthy diet and no weight or food issues-- yeah, I've soothed her with going out for an ice cream. Or a new shirt or other non-food treats or even healthy food treats, like fixing a favorite dinner.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I liked the message that the kids on the losing team should not be upset - though its a natural reaction to be sad about losing. Had not thought of the food-as-reward issue. Not everyone has that struggle.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It's not a "reward," it's a salve for a bruised ego, but I see what you're getting at.

I have no issues with it. Does the commercial show them taking her there every day? No.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    What do you think? Did you or do you still struggle with the 'food reward'? Should they be portraying that in advertisements directed at children?

Yes, I still struggle with food rewards. When I was a kid, being good in a store usually meant a candy bar. A road trip still means a stop at a gas station and the purchase of different kinds of candies (I'm partial to Airheads and Sprees) and I'm 34. I've been working to reward myself in non-food ways. I told myself that when I lost 10 pounds I could get a pedicure. Guess what? I'm at 16Lbs down and I still haven't done it. It'll take me at least an hour to get it done, but a milkshake or some other goody can be obtained in minutes. Time is just not something I have a lot of...

As for commercials geared at kids, it isn't just the ads. It's in every TV show, movie, music video, etc. I think it is important to point this out to children at the appropriate ages so they can learn to easily identify marketing ploys and avoid manipulation.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    i never really had any "food rewards" because id just be looking for constant excuses to reward myself. before cutting back i would just eat whatever whenever i wanted, and now moderation is my friend.

i think any commercials directed at children are pretty devilish and whoever checks over commercials to approve them for tv should be alot stricter with them. the impressionability of children is so large that its really just taking advantage, and parents are getting less and less strict themselves on what children are allowed to do or say, it seems that the kids are running most households nowadays. its comparable to tobacco companies who used to target children for their cigarette commercials honestly, which the goal was to hook them when they are young

First bolded: I don't want some government bureaucrat acting as food morality police for business advertizing. It's a band aid that wouldn't do anything to fix the underlying problem which is knowledge and adherence to nutritional principles (or bad parenting if a parent can't say "no" to their children).

Second bolded: Tobacco targeting children when the substance they are peddling had been proven to be a human carcinogen isn't even in the same ballpark as a Wendy's frosty.

I agree with you Brower47, expecially the part I bolded in your words. Blame the advertising or the company...because parents' can't say no or anything....seems legit.
    i never said to blame the advertising company, and any parent who cant say no to their kid is clearly unfit, all i was referring to is that kids are extremely impressionable, if they see a commercial that has some sort of reward system impregnated in it, they are more likely to follow that system than if they had not seen said commercial, no?

comparing it to tobacco was an extreme comparison ill admit, but its not far off

The bolded bit seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me.

As for the first part: I saw all kinds of commercials as a kid showing how cool smoking was. It was depicted in movies as a cool thing to do but guess what? All it took was for my parents to explain to me a few times how absolutely stupid it would be to smoke. They explained that movies are not reality long before that and explained that commercials would say or do anything to make a product look more appealing and they made it clear that they were not going to buy me something just because I saw something cool or delicious in a commercial.

Kids don't live in a TV vacuum where the only influence is what they see on it. There are far more powerful influences, parents being a main one, that can override any silly 20 second TV spot.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    There are only two foods that come close to making you feel as good as an orgasm.

Ice cream.

Bacon.

I think we are done here?

tumblr_mpndn2etHy1rb324eo1_500.gif

tumblr_lsitxlhSFC1r4994ho1_500.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    There are only two foods that come close to making you feel as good as an orgasm.

Ice cream.

Bacon.

No food comes even close to feeling that good. :wink:
  • aly_mc
    aly_mc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, food rewards can be a slippery slope as someone said the "I've earned this" mentality. I don't think one ice cream is necessarily a bad thing, but if it happens all the time, then I think it becomes a problem. I.e. I have a friend who used to play on an adult softball team that ALWAYS went out for drinks and food after games and such. I know a lot of kids teams do this kind of thing too-i.e. pizza and pop.

A coffee place nearby has a very delux ice cream/oreo drink and has the words "cheat day" underneath it. I don't think we escape this as we get older, we just need to be aware.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Fair warning - I'm somewhat cynical by nature...

My opinion - anyone who can be manipulated so much by a 30 second advertisement that they KNOW GOING IN is designed to get them to do/not do something probably isn't going to make the best decisions regardless.

I'm all for more honest advertisements, more family friendly tv/music, etc (how very old-fashioned of me); yet I also think people need to stop blaming commercials, TV, video games, movies, music, etc for all the ills of society.

ETA: to directly answer the question - I have no problem with the concept of a "food reward". I often treat my girls to ice cream or a frosty or something. But I also often say "no"...and that is one skill I think some parents today sorely lack.

I agree!!

We all know fast food isn't good for us, yet we still CHOOSE to eat there. We need to stop blaming them and start taking responsibility.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I was more bothered by the concept that the only two choices of roles in the baseball game seemed to be "home run hitting star" and "person who stands there and lets balls hit them." Could they not have come up with an alternative that the child did do well during the game and show the kid that you can celebrate that accomplishment even if you're not the star of the game?

Dead on accurate
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i never really had any "food rewards" because id just be looking for constant excuses to reward myself. before cutting back i would just eat whatever whenever i wanted, and now moderation is my friend.

i think any commercials directed at children are pretty devilish and whoever checks over commercials to approve them for tv should be alot stricter with them. the impressionability of children is so large that its really just taking advantage, and parents are getting less and less strict themselves on what children are allowed to do or say, it seems that the kids are running most households nowadays. its comparable to tobacco companies who used to target children for their cigarette commercials honestly, which the goal was to hook them when they are young

First bolded: I don't want some government bureaucrat acting as food morality police for business advertizing. It's a band aid that wouldn't do anything to fix the underlying problem which is knowledge and adherence to nutritional principles (or bad parenting if a parent can't say "no" to their children).

Second bolded: Tobacco targeting children when the substance they are peddling had been proven to be a human carcinogen isn't even in the same ballpark as a Wendy's frosty.

I agree with you Brower47, expecially the part I bolded in your words. Blame the advertising or the company...because parents' can't say no or anything....seems legit.
    i never said to blame the advertising company, and any parent who cant say no to their kid is clearly unfit, all i was referring to is that kids are extremely impressionable, if they see a commercial that has some sort of reward system impregnated in it, they are more likely to follow that system than if they had not seen said commercial, no?

comparing it to tobacco was an extreme comparison ill admit, but its not far off

The bolded bit seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me.

As for the first part: I saw all kinds of commercials as a kid showing how cool smoking was. It was depicted in movies as a cool thing to do but guess what? All it took was for my parents to explain to me a few times how absolutely stupid it would be to smoke. They explained that movies are not reality long before that and explained that commercials would say or do anything to make a product look more appealing and they made it clear that they were not going to buy me something just because I saw something cool or delicious in a commercial.

Kids don't live in a TV vacuum where the only influence is what they see on it. There are far more powerful influences, parents being a main one, that can override any silly 20 second TV spot.
    your right that is an oxymoron lol i just mean it engraved bad habits in their brain, but tobacco is a much worse bad habit

i agree that there are stronger influences, but not all parents have the sense or the knowledge to have that talk with their kids, and not all kids have the sense to listen to their parents during that talk
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    1231mwg.jpg
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I hate that ad. And i hate that wendy chick. Do you ever notice that there has never been an ad with her actually seen taking a bite of any of the food she's hawking? It was pointed out to me like a year ago and I STILL have never seen her actually eat anything!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

Ice cream.

Bacon.

2012-06-15-baconsundae2.jpg

You are welcome.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ein Strum im Wasserglas

The social implications are none, people celebrated with food well before Wendy's and will continue to do so. This is not a bad thing.
    Nor will anyone remember this ad in 6 months.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Ice cream.

Bacon.

I'm waiting for the bacon ice cream...