No Endurance

Options
I got a heart rate monitor last week and it's helped me to realize that my lack of endurance isn't just all in my head. My pulse sits in the 120s when I'm just walking. Shoots up to the 180s if I do any sort of cardio more strenuous than that. I've never made it through any sort of class or workout video, die when I try to run, and have actually passed out in a spin class before. In under ten minutes.

Since I seem to shoot straight into anaerobic territory whenever I try to work out, I'm not surprised at all that I think exercise is a horrid torture.

So.... ideas? Besides walking, because walking is boring, what can I do that will give me a little cardio to boost my endurance (and count for my 30 minutes of exercise a day) without pushing my pulse through the roof? I don't have access to a pool to swim in, and that's the only other thing I can think of.

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I first started. Now it takes forever to get me into my target zone! Just keep working at it, keep improving. Walk a little further tomorrow, or a little faster. Jog for 30 seconds, walk for 2 minutes, jog for 30 seconds, walk for two minutes. Check out C25K. Just make a conscious effort to be constantly upping your game and your cardiovascular endurance will improve.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Maybe try biking if you have access to a bike.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Endurance comes with consistency and repetition. Starting out is ALWAYS the most challenging. Just continue and slowly your body will adapt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way when I try to do aerobics or running. Check out a c25k program, or jogging intervals. Also, cycling is totally different for me. I really, really, really stink at jogging (I can do maybe 5 minutes of a 20 minute mile at a jog). But when I'm on my bike, I don't feel as winded, and I have much more endurance for it.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    No bike, and C25k gave me horrendous shin splints last time I gave it a whirl.

I'm saving up for a bike, though, and I figure two years is long enough for shin splints to heal (lol). I might try it again.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I'm saving up for a bike, though, and I figure two years is long enough for shin splints to heal (lol). I might try it again.

Get new shoes. Good ones. I daresay, even get fitted for them. When I got shin splints from running and HIIT, it was from wearing my $15, 2 year old tennis shoes from Walmart. I invested in some Nike Airs, and have had 0 problems since.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What's your resting heart rate? If you sit or lie down for 5 minutes without moving, and your heart rate is over 100, then you should see a doctor; tachycardia (an excessively high heart rate) can be a symptom of a serious health problem.

If your resting heart rate is in the normal range (60-100, according to the Mayo Clinic), then continued aerobic exercise should quickly produce conditioning and bring your rate down. The most effective exercise for that involves either (1) exercising just below your lactate threshold, at the point where you can talk in complete sentences but with some difficulty; or (2) doing high intensity interval training (HIIT) with short recovery periods. You can probably do #1 with a brisk walk, at least to begin with; if you find walking boring, perhaps Google race walking--or find someplace more interesting to walk. Or go to your local high school stadium (if it's open to the public) and walk up the stairs.

Once you get a bike, it will offer plenty of opportunity to improve your CV fitness. The great thing about a bike is that the intensity of exercise is almost continuously variable, unlike many other exercises, since you can use gears to adjust the difficulty.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i'd second c25k. but this time go at it slowly - no need to run hard enough to be panting at the end of each interval. pacing is what you need to learn. there is no reason for you not to be able to maintain a heart rate inbetween 120 and 180. the problem is in your head (sorry if that sounds, umm, questionable).
    as for shin splints, properly fitting shoes are important. - but also be sure to look up proper running form, you wouldn't think it, but there is sooo much technique you can add to your running to make it better.

eta: properly fitting doesn't mean you have to spend hundreds of dollars several times a year. i run in minimalist shoes, they last longer and there is no support to be fitted to. if you don't have any structural issues with your feet, and are willing to start out very slowly, they may be worth a consideration.
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've got a stationary bike and you can vary the intensity of it and shows time, distance etc and I can't use the weather as an excuse not to use it - though it is in the back room and sometimes I forget it's there!

Some people like to watch tv while using it but I prefer to listen to music cos the time goes by faster (and you can't here the pedals) and I've also find that sometimes when I'm not really in the mood and I feel like giving up, when a song comes on with a fast beat it motivates me and I can carry on for quite a while. The only time I've had to force myself to come off is when my bum gets a bit sore, so might invest in some cycling shorts.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Passing out after 10 minutes on a spinning bike is definitely not normal.....even for someone who's pretty out of shape.

Barring any serious medical issues improved endurance takes 2 things.....time and consistency. Walking may be boring but it's a great place to start. Add a minute of very slow running, after a few weeks 2 minutes and so on....the trick is to keep it slow, you should not be gasping for breath.

This is basically how I started running (I couldn't even get around the block without thinking death would be a welcome relief), I've since run numerous 5Ks, 10Ks, 7 half-marathons etc etc...........take your time, be patient and work your way up gradually and you will amaze yourself.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    See a doctor.

Seriously.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Passing out after 10 minutes on a spinning bike is definitely not normal.....even for someone who's pretty out of shape.
    i had a friend who thought it was normal to throw up after every run. i think she still doesn't know better, she just avoids running.

point is, people have to get over the misconceptions they have of a given sport, or sport in general.
    If you believe you ought to go hard enough that you will pass out at some point, then you need educating, or your body will do it for you.
    yes, there are medical considerations, but they are not the only possibilities.

the other day some kid tried to race my husband on the bike, went until he dropped panting to the ground - you can't tell me that was medical.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    Options
    Medically, I'm fine. About ten years ago, I had a brush with Graves' Disease and my resting heart rate was about 114, exercise was totally out of the question at that time. The thyroid healed itself somehow (I was on medication for it for a very very brief time, preparing to have it removed, and all of a sudden my levels were normal and have been ever since. Dunno why. Good luck, I guess.) and my resting heart rate is back to where it should be (70s-80s). I still go see doctors about it at least once a year and get my levels checked and everything's fine. It's just conditioning at this point.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Medically, I'm fine. About ten years ago, I had a brush with Graves' Disease and my resting heart rate was about 114, exercise was totally out of the question at that time. The thyroid healed itself somehow (I was on medication for it for a very very brief time, preparing to have it removed, and all of a sudden my levels were normal and have been ever since. Dunno why. Good luck, I guess.) and my resting heart rate is back to where it should be (70s-80s). I still go see doctors about it at least once a year and get my levels checked and everything's fine. It's just conditioning at this point.

Fair play.

I think you've already had a lot of good advice then. Time, consistency and increasing efforts progressively but realistically over time will do wonders.

Basically all fitness involves is increasing stress over time whilst allowing adequate recovery.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I got a heart rate monitor last week and it's helped me to realize that my lack of endurance isn't just all in my head. My pulse sits in the 120s when I'm just walking. Shoots up to the 180s if I do any sort of cardio more strenuous than that. I've never made it through any sort of class or workout video, die when I try to run, and have actually passed out in a spin class before. In under ten minutes.

Since I seem to shoot straight into anaerobic territory whenever I try to work out, I'm not surprised at all that I think exercise is a horrid torture.

So.... ideas? Besides walking, because walking is boring, what can I do that will give me a little cardio to boost my endurance (and count for my 30 minutes of exercise a day) without pushing my pulse through the roof? I don't have access to a pool to swim in, and that's the only other thing I can think of.
    Have you had your thyroid checked? When was the last test. My experience with Grave's patients is that many wax and wane for years.
    You have thyroid antibodies with Graves. They really don't usually go away.
    Have you had an EKG and stress test?
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Increase running very, very slowly. I start with light posts or other regular landmarks. Jog one light post to the next, then walk two.
    I no longer run due to my knees but I use intervals on any cardio, especially to start.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    Options

So.... ideas? Besides walking, because walking is boring, what can I do that will give me a little cardio to boost my endurance (and count for my 30 minutes of exercise a day) without pushing my pulse througuh the roof? I don't have access to a pool to swim in, and that's the only other thing I can think of.

Have you had your thyroid checked? When was the last test. My experience with Grave's patients is that many wax and wane for years.
    You have thyroid antibodies with Graves. They really don't usually go away.
    Have you had an EKG and stress test?

No, they really usually don't. I haven't bothered with the TSI antibody tests since my tsh/ft3/ft4 have been normal for years now. I get them done annually and the last one was in October.

Never had an ekg or stress test. None of my docs have ever thought it necessary.

Eta: actually, wait, that's a lie. I did ekgs last before they diagnosed the graves. Had a slight sinus arrhythmia chalked up to my young age at the time but nothing exciting. Still no on the stress test.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I say just keep walking and aim to make it more intense. When I do my walking, I actually aim to get my heartrate in the 140s. I do this by walking faster and finding more challenging courses. You can really build your endurance with just walking if you put the effort in to it. You can even do intervals like with c25k but just carrying walking speeds/inclines. You should be able to improve pretty quickly if you just keep pushing yourself, but a lot of it can be mental, too, so don't psych yourself out.