No poo hair regime

Options
Noogynoogs
Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
Hasd anyone's donee the no poo hair washing routine? With success

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    "no poo" is so gimmicky that I won't go near it. However, I'll admit that washing my hair every other day instead of every day has made it amazing.
  • wardamnirish
    wardamnirish Posts: 395
    Options
    I've successfully avoided putting fecal matter in my hair, if that counts for anything.
  • Noogynoogs
    Options
    Can't. Avoid matter with my job lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Boycott shampoo! Demand the real poo!
  • Noogynoogs
    Options
    Need pad change from laughing
  • Heatherybit
    Heatherybit Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Pinterest made me try it. <--I say this often.

I don't know if I did it wrong..like my cookie monster cupcakes..but this was horrid (Baking Soda is not enough). My hair felt tacky and waxy (not in a good way). I ended up after three weeks going to Neutrogena Triple Repair for relief.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I alternate shampooing with conditioner (less active days) and low-sulfate shampoo from Trader Joe's (running days). I started out using the Curly Girl Handbook method and just tweaked it to work for me. I know I'm not "supposed" to use sulfates but when I've been sweating a lot I like to feel like my scalp is getting clean. Occasionally I will skip a day and once in a while I'll just do a water wash, depends on how my scalp feels.

My hair used to be fairly oily, but I find with this method it's not anymore. I've been doing it for almost 3 years now and I love what it's done for my curls.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use conditioner to wash my hair for the most part. I sometimes use a sulfate free shampoo. I wash once a week and use a dry shampoo on off days. It works for my curly hair type.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gradually reduced my usage of shampoo over the course of a few months. Now I can go a week or two just using water or conditioners for greasy/limp hair if i want too! When I do shampoo, generally its with a really mild SLS/paraban/blah blah free type shampoo.

My hair is really dry though, so greasy hair has never really been an issue for me. Reducing my use of shampoo has been a god send for my hair.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have a gorgeous head of thick long locks which I only wash 2-3 times a week. I use a dime size of shampoo which I only lather on the roots and a huge palmful of conditioner.

I have occassionally done the no shampoo route, but found I had to rinse it more often.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've tried it. My hair looked amazing, but my scalp was a mess. :(
  • samanthacesiracollins
    Options
    I have! I went to the baking soda for washing and apple cider vinegar for conditioning back in March and I have no desire to go back to traditional shampoo.

I have long naturally curly hair and I have had the worst time finding shampoos/conditioners that work with my hair and don't either A. frizz me out like woah B. make my hair feel too heavy because of the conditioner.

The first two-three weeks I did baking soda/vinegar wash and condition my hair felt a little weird, texture seemed to change and my color even seemed off but once I got past that I noticed my hair felt soft and not chemically coated and the curls looked better and less out of control.

I had added coconut oil to my hair routine on humid days in the last month or so. Just coat my hands and then run my fingers through the length of my hair to help control the frizzies.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I alternate between baking soda (with or without the ACV rinse) and conditioner-only wash. Usually every other day
    It did take a few weeks to finally get rid of all the gross, sticky, waxy buildup from the silicones and waxes in all of the mid-range and high-end shampoos/conditioners I was using before (which is how they make your hair look great *and* dry it out even more all at the same time, lol), but it was so very very worth it.
    My super-fine, super-thin, naturally wavy hair is soft and healthy and shiny and fuller and I've not had a split end in years. My scalp is significantly less oily (though again, not until a week or so after switching), and I'm no longer dandruffy.
    I think I can call it reasonably successful.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I've successfully avoided putting fecal matter in my hair, if that counts for anything.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It works really well if you have very curly hair. I have wavy hair and it doesn't work for me. I don't wash my hair everyday. If you do it, you need to use a conditioner that isn't going to build up too much.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Pinterest made me try it. <--I say this often.

I don't know if I did it wrong..like my cookie monster cupcakes..but this was horrid (Baking Soda is not enough). My hair felt tacky and waxy (not in a good way). I ended up after three weeks going to Neutrogena Triple Repair for relief.

If you ever need help with the cookie monster cupcakes, PM me. We did really cute ones for my 2-year old's birthday.
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I tired using all sorts of DIY stuff on my hair such as baking soda and apple cider vinegar.. it always left my hair feeling disgusting. I do however only wash my hair about twice a week and that works for me. :)
    also olive oil is a great hair treatment!!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I no poo every couple weeks or so. I did it for about 6 moths straight, but then it started to build up in my hair and made it lank ans stringy looking. Now I switch up between my regular shampoo and no poo, and I love what it does for my hair. I still condition with ACV several times a week, it's been great for shine and bounce.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Poo is a Sham anyway
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I never use poo in my hair... save that for the compost pile.