Anyone on 1200 - 1300 calories / day?

Options
HI I am trying to keep my caloric intake to 1200 - 1300 per day and having a tough time with it. If you are caloric intake is 1200 cal / day ... What is your diary like?
Thanks.

Replies

• kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well I don't count my calories on MFP, I prefer the old fashioned pen and paper method, but I'll write out my average day. I've been doing 1,200 to 1,300 calories for a few months now with great results.

8 AM: bagel thin with an egg white on it- 140 calories
    11 AM: mini bag of doritos- 150 calories
    1 PM: 30 special K cracker chips- 120 calories
    2 PM: 6 oz. baby carrots with 1 Tablespoon light ranch- 105 calories
    4 PM: 3 fun sized snickers bars- 240 calories
    6 PM: 2 oz. pasta with 4 Tablespoons italian dressing- 270 calories
    6 PM: 1 cup fresh green beans- 70 calories
    7 PM: 72 grams Sugar free ice cream with 5 Tablespoons light whipped cream and 2 tablespoons sprinkles- 150 calories

To a grand total of 1,245 calories today.

Hope this helps.If you need any hints or tips you can message me :)
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Working-out is key!!! It helps to be able to add some more calories through-out the day for me since I have a hard time sticking to the 1390 calories a day I have set for myself (on a .5lb loss a week plan, realized trying to do more was unrealistic and would only make me crash and burn ultimately rather than making this a long-term lifestyle plan). If only I could get rid of alcohol from my diet, my days would look a lot better!

But mine goes something like this:

Breakfast: Instant oatmeal, or cereal (with skim milk), or whole what English muffin with almond butter (or regular butter), or a greek yogurt parfait (200-350 cal) plus a coffee with skim milk and splenda (10 cals)

Mid-morning snack: fiber bar and multivitamin (150 cal)

Lunch: side salad with soup or half sandwich (350 cal)

Late afternoon snack: almonds, carrots/hummus, 100 calorie snack pack (100-150 cal)

Dinner: 4oz chicken breast, salmon, etc. vegetable medley (usually a frozen package from store by Healthy Choice or Green giant) about 250 cal

1250 cal total approximately. Again, I do exercise so I can give myself some wiggle room for alcohol or whatnot. This is the plan I stuck to when I was being consistent (and not letting my boyfriend, who I just moved in with, from distracting me).
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well I don't count my calories on MFP, I prefer the old fashioned pen and paper method, but I'll write out my average day. I've been doing 1,200 to 1,300 calories for a few months now with great results.

7 PM: 72 grams Sugar free ice cream with 5 Tablespoons light whipped cream and 2 tablespoons sprinkles- 150 calories

Doritos, crackers, Snickers and ice cream? Where's the nutrition?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1300 at the moment. My diary is open.
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I manage with 1200 and go up to 1750 on heavy exercise days.

8 am bran cereal with lowfat milk and strawberries and raspberries 180 coffee 40
    1030 am lowfat Greek yogurt 100
    1pm lean cuisine meal 290 average
    3 pm a dozen almonds or a nonfat string cheese 60. Via berry refresher from Starbucks 35
    7 pm dinner is usually 1/2 boneless and skinless chicken breast or similar portion of steak, pork chop or fish, salad with lite italian dressing, veggies and rice or small portion pasta or potato 500 average
    Wine 110 calories, on workout days
    Dessert (if I have calories to spend) is a weight watchers triple chocolate ice cream on a stick. 110

This is a typical day and I eat the frequent snacks so I never get really hungry. I have lost just under 40lbs in 12 weeks, good luck!
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I never claimed to be a clean eater. :P
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Hahaha! I love your response! Some people can be so judgmental!!! It's all about making this work for you, as an individual, so you can stick to a lifestyle! If you are happy, keep doing what you be doing!
  • NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is cool! thanks.
  • NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the response.... I do try to workout 4 - 5 times a week... so I might get some bonus calories. :)
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I eat 1,300 and I try not to eat back all my exercise calories but I do usually end up eating back some.

I think it's important to ease into it. I started at 1,500 for my first few weeks then gradually bumped it down. That way my body adjusted to the reduced intake and I wasn't suddenly starving.

For breakfast I usually have some kind of whole wheat product, whether it's a waffle with peanut butter, a bagel with light cream cheese, or an english muffin with peanut butter and apple butter (my personal favorite :happy: ) or a non-sugary cereal with almond or soy milk, either light or unsweetened. Also eggs are amazing. (about 200 calories)

I have a morning snack of fresh fruit (about 100 calories)

For lunch I have soup or leftovers from the night before. Also a well-chosen 6" sub from Subway is reasonably filling and low in calories if you are in a pinch and have to eat out. (about 300-400 calories)

Afternoon snack I have plain greek yogurt with berries and some kind of sweetener because I haven't been able to get used to it unsweetened (100 calories)

For dinner, I cook 95% of the time. We eat a lot of fish, chicken, and turkey with vegetables and I generally choose potatoes before any other starch and we try to avoid flour products as much as possible. (usually around 500-600 calories)

So even at the most it is normally around 1400 for me personally, before exercise. But I have taken the last few months to really narrow it down to what low calorie foods I like and can tolerate eating on a normal basis. Also as a previous poster mentioned, working out is very important to maintain a deficit if you are eating a good variety of foods, not to mention it's fabulous for you physically. Just remember to eat a good variety of your macros and try your best to follow serving sizes. For me, after a while, serving sizes actually became filling where before I used to look at a serving of something and laugh!

Good luck! :wink:
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am and I also am vegetarian and eat low carb. I eat pretty much the same breakfast and lunch every day and dinner varies.
    Breakfast is eggs with cheese and coffee
    lunch is a spinach salad with olives, veggies and ranch
    Dinner is veggie burger and a vegetable or I make Mock Mack and cheese using cauliflower.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My cheat day was yesterday....but my diary is open. Please don't judge.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

It's not "just" about eating clean....or the total # of calories. MFP allows you to track protein, fat & carbs. Your diet looks to be very low in protein. Calorie reduction plus too little protein = muscle loss for most people ( those who are really obese....can get away with not losing muscle...for awhile).

MFP helps me get more protein. Healthy weight loss should help you reduce your body fat percentage.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Her ticker and time invested beg to differ with you. Adding in treats is not stopping her weight loss, rather, it's helping her stay on track. 80% healthy, 20% treats is a really good habit to develop for long term success.
  • saddare
    saddare Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine just dropped from 1340 to 1280 (darn recalculation for weight lost!). My biggest problem has always been portion control, so I've relied pretty heavily on Lean microwave dinners, Lean Pockets, and other such portioned foods. It really makes tracking a no-brainer. For snacks between meals, I favor FiberOne 90-calorie granola bars or Jello 90-calorie pudding cups. Weight Watchers has a variety of string cheeses that are 50 calories each. You can also get a variety of 100-calorie "snack packs" in assorted chips and crackers. And my life-saver when I'm hungry but close to max for the day: dill pickles are 0 calories per spear!

It's probably not the healthiest way to do it (the sodium, for one, shoots sky-high if you don't watch it), but it fits into my lifestyle and works for me! To try and off-set the unhealthiness factor a little bit, I usually have a cup of fresh fruit with my multi-vitamin as soon as I wake up.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
  • redlockqt
    redlockqt Posts: 1
    Options
    Mock Mack and Cheese sounds amazing! Do you have a recipie?
  • toronto_j
    Options

Hahaha! I love your response! Some people can be so judgmental!!! It's all about making this work for you, as an individual, so you can stick to a lifestyle! If you are happy, keep doing what you be doing!

I don't think you have to be 100% "clean" (I'm certainly not) but I'd be starving if I ate this junk all day. Nutritionally dense food CAN be lower in calories and also keep you feeling fuller, so I don't think this kind of eating is good advice. I believe that losing weight should go hand in hand with improving health.
  • toronto_j
    Options

Her ticker and time invested beg to differ with you. Adding in treats is not stopping her weight loss, rather, it's helping her stay on track. 80% healthy, 20% treats is a really good habit to develop for long term success.

This definitely isn't "80% healthy."
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This definitely isn't "80% healthy."

I agree.

As far as success......it's more than just the number on the scale (or on a ticker). You could lose "weight" on an all twinkie diet.....the only problem would be, massive muscle loss.....leaving a higher body fat % than when you started.

I'm all for treats......but the treats shouldn't crowd out nutrition.