Five Reasons Why This Dietitian Hates Calorie-Tracking Apps

Options

Replies

• PonderinGal
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I'm inclined to partially agree with the angry dietician insofar that many people who use calorie counters do not know what they're doing. For everyone else who's eating responsibly and healthfully, the calorie counter is a very helpful tool. But I can see how many might abuse it...however...I think that if a person ate 1500 calories worth of pizza a day and nothing more, they'd eventually lose weight, even their food choices weren't exactly optimal :)
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Dietitians have many purposes but for many of us, we can learn enough about food that we can use that knowledge to help us lose weight or achieve our goals without a dietitian.

I do feel like a great portion of the population has NO sound knowledge about food and what they put into their bodies. Often a dietitian is the person who will help teach them about it.

I remember when I was younger and playing soccer. The team hired a dietitian to come speak to us and one of the items I will never forget is "|Iced Tea is just as bad as soda" Most of us here already know this but if you think about it I'm sure there are a TON of people that will order an Iced Tea (i'm talking lipton or Nestea crap) instead of soda thinking they are doing their bodies a favor....

Anyways, ultimately its what works for you. Some people can do it with out and some people have progress because of their dietitian.

Let's not bash people or methods because it didn't work for you.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, a few years ago my teenager was referred to a registered dietician by her pediatrician.

One of the first things the dietician did was talk about (and suggest!) calorie counting apps. MFP was on the list (even though it's for adults, not teens) as was sparkteens. Of course the dietician gave a recommended calorie level and some guidelines to eating a more healthful, rounded diet, but tracking calories was certainly part of the discussion!
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    6. They see how many more clients and money they could have had....
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    wow, I've been buying shirts designed for Homo Sapiens all this time. Maybe that's why my clothes look so bad on me!
  • maanders
    maanders Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Great. What would this dietician suggest we do, then?

Go pay a dietician.
  • kerrianne86
    kerrianne86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with most of the stuff the OP has said...

I love MFP, but agree you have to think about what you're putting into your body, not just how many calories it contains. I know from looking at others diaries, that there are A LOT of people who will skip breakfast and have a basically non existent lunch, just so they can consume 1,500 calories for dinner. That's not what your body wants!!
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The Huffington Post makes for expensive bird-cage lining.

And this article contradicts my experience and, I would bet, most other MFP members' experiences.

I imagine this dietician is bitter because (s)he cannot match the success of MFP (not to mention the cost.)

Look around this site, at all the members with success stories and then ask this dietician how many people members they, personally, helped. I'm sure the numbers are in MFP's favor.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My thinking on this is it's like in math class when you're supposed to "show your work." I say if you can get the right answer (that is, weight loss) without showing your work (counting) then keep it up. If you find you're getting the wrong answer (gaining or not losing) then it might be time to show your work (start counting).

VERY well said!!! I agree completely. I have a good friend who is always trying different weight loss methods and workouts. He tried MFP for a couple of days and then said because he seemed to be doing ok, he wasn't going to mess with it anymore because he "doesn't need it". He's about 200 lb heavier than he ought to be, health wise. smh

(I am NOT out to say that every single person should calorie count or that it is the only way...but really!?)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Dietitians have many purposes but for many of us, we can learn enough about food that we can use that knowledge to help us lose weight or achieve our goals without a dietitian.

I do feel like a great portion of the population has NO sound knowledge about food and what they put into their bodies. Often a dietitian is the person who will help teach them about it.

I remember when I was younger and playing soccer. The team hired a dietitian to come speak to us and one of the items I will never forget is "|Iced Tea is just as bad as soda" Most of us here already know this but if you think about it I'm sure there are a TON of people that will order an Iced Tea (i'm talking lipton or Nestea crap) instead of soda thinking they are doing their bodies a favor....

Anyways, ultimately its what works for you. Some people can do it with out and some people have progress because of their dietitian.

I'm not how iced tea is "as bad as" soda... I'm not sure where to even start with that.

However, I agree with the rest of your comment.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with most of the stuff the OP has said...

I love MFP, but agree you have to think about what you're putting into your body, not just how many calories it contains. I know from looking at others diaries, that there are A LOT of people who will skip breakfast and have a basically non existent lunch, just so they can consume 1,500 calories for dinner. That's not what your body wants!!

I know of at least three people who successfully do Intermittent Fasting, with incredible results and a more balanced diet than most of us. It's not magical, but neither is eating 3, 4, or 6 meals a day.
  • skutnikj
    skutnikj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    this whole thing was enlightening to me b/c I had no idea people used tracking in this way -
    I track what I eat \b/c I like to see the impact it has on my running/ race times and some of my health issues
    I never viewed a calorie as a calorie and eat primarily veggies and fruit (with occasional nuts, whole grains and peanut butter ) - my junk food would be the occasional popcorn or a luna bar

Is it true that ppl actually do this - eat garbage and figure as long as they are within their goal they are ok? or force themselves to eat something if they are under goal?
  • jchenks
    Options

I'm not how iced tea is "as bad as" soda... I'm not sure where to even start with that.

However, I agree with the rest of your comment.

In terms of sugar..... that is all iced tea gives you. Maybe not as much as a can of coke or pepsi.... but really that is all you are getting out of it.

Now, brewed tea and poured over ice is a different story.
  • jchenks
    Options
    this whole thing was enlightening to me b/c I had no idea people used tracking in this way -
    I track what I eat \b/c I like to see the impact it has on my running/ race times and some of my health issues
    I never viewed a calorie as a calorie and eat primarily veggies and fruit (with occasional nuts, whole grains and peanut butter ) - my junk food would be the occasional popcorn or a luna bar

Is it true that ppl actually do this - eat garbage and figure as long as they are within their goal they are ok? or force themselves to eat something if they are under goal?

Yes it is true.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ordinaryloser
    ordinaryloser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Interesting read.
  • mstripes
    mstripes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In my 50 years every single dietitian I've met and listened to has been wrong factually. They all seem to be skewed one way or the other. The sad thing is the science of food and nutrition is an ever changing thing and the more they are learning the more they know that the more there is that they do not know. My previous Dr. prescribed MFP to me. He'd still be my Dr. but he moved away. There are a number of diets (content) as opposed to dieting that work and for different people. A dietitian will not know just by looking or talking to you which is right for you. I can and have ridden thousands of miles a year and not lost weight. I add tracking with MFP while eating the same foods and I am losing weight. I'm fairly sure dietitians would not approve of my diet and would want me to eat less fat and protein and more carbs but what I do works for ME and my bloodwork proves it.
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I actually kinda like the "If you ate this way every day you'd weigh this much in 5 weeks". I know it is just a guess and isn't real life, but it is nice when I'm under my goal by a smidge and see for instance a number for 5 weeks from now that is in the 150s instead of the 160s. It's motivational to me and makes me smile. :)
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Five reasons why this calorie-tracking individual hates dietitians:

1. They think that just because their clients are morons, everyone else must be, as well.

2. They think that just because their clients are liars, everyone else must be, as well.

3. They don't understand that sugar from an Oreo is the same as sugar from a banana.

4. They demonize food instead of focusing on the real problem.

5. They play the "obsession" card in a poorly-disguised attempt to discredit people who are actually able to manage their weight successfully with free calorie-tracking apps and without paying for the services of a dietitian.

I prefer to educate myself. Dietitians are ok when needed, but in my experience, sometimes wrong.