Been told to eat clean

Options
I have been told my dr to eat clean to help pain caused by my suspected gall stones, but what actually does he mean???
I know he said to not eat fat (no bacon, cheese, frying food etc...) but was wondering what eating clean meant maybe I am just being a bit thick ????
Thanks in advanced ????

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You can ask him if there are specific foods you should be avoiding; I would see how many grams of fat he's recommending that you limit yourself to per day. Other than that, he may be recommending that you incorporate more fruits, veggies, and lean meats into your diet.

But we aren't mind readers, so it's best to give him a ring and ask for some clarification.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruits and vegetables. Stop eating so much calorically dense foods that have little nutritional value.

IIFYM was never meant to be a an "eat whatever the heck you want without any micro nutrients" diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can ask him if there are specific foods you should be avoiding; I would see how many grams of fat he's recommending that you limit yourself to per day. Other than that, he may be recommending that you incorporate more fruits, veggies, and lean meats into your diet.

But we aren't mind readers, so it's best to give him a ring and ask for some clarification.

This!

You aren't being thick. Saying "eat clean" is ridiculously vague and means different things to different people.
  • ceh5h
    ceh5h Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat more fruits and vegetables. Stop eating so much calorically dense foods that have little nutritional value.

IIFYM was never meant to be a an "eat whatever the heck you want without any micro nutrients" diet.
    What's IIYFM, if you don't mind me asking?
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Probably meant reducing fatty, spicy, sugary foods if it's a gall issue. Plenty of whole-food protein and fiber should keep you running smoothly. But yes, he should have been a lot more clear about what "clean" is especially if it concerns digestive health and not just weight.
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I don't eat processed foods as it is and my meat is always brought lean or extra lean. Will have to carry on as I am until I see him next and ask him how much fat per day (he did say none to me the other day)
    Thanks anyway guys much appreciated ????
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I don't eat processed foods as it is and my meat is always brought lean or extra lean. Will have to carry on as I am until I see him next and ask him how much fat per day (he did say none to me the other day)

Good luck!
    There are also many different types of gall stones caused by certain things. I would ask if he knows what type they are (ex: you can get gall stones that form from too much cholesterol in the bile), and if there are any other restrictions you should have in place until they are treated or removed.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    When some people say eat clean they actually mean eat healthy, wholesome and natural foods not processed foods or highly processed foods, but eating clean has different meanings for a lot of people.

Check with your doctor as to what their definition is.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Eating NO fat whatsoever is not a healthy way to go. He probably meant something with more nuances to it. For good information about eating healthy see the Harvard Nutrition Source. In particular, you might find this article (on page 3) of their newsletter a good starting point: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hpfs/pdfs/07News.pdf
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options

I would call his office and ask the nurse to get very specific clarification for you and call you back with grams, etc. A week is too long to not know specifically what he is recommending and you run the risk of becoming terribly constipated if you get it wrong. Call.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have been told my dr to eat clean to help pain caused by my suspected gall stones, but what actually does he mean???

This is a dieting forum, not a meeting place for telepaths - it's his advice, ask HIM!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

This is a dieting forum, not a meeting place for telepaths - it's his advice, ask HIM!

No way...Doc says something...best place to get an answer is from internet strangers.
  • canadiangirl014
    canadiangirl014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My friend has gall stones and she was told to eat green apples and drink pure apple cider to help with the pain. It's helped her immensely and if you eat/drink organic, it's all clean.